Vacuum Dust Extractor Noise Output

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanajb

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone able to tell me what is the quietest dust extractor I can buy for ~£200. The numatics by Axminster seem to get good reviews in terms of their noise rating

Flan,

I have just purchased a couple of Camvac machines. A good tip from Rob, endorsed by Camvac, to reduce noise is to attach a hose to the top outlet and direct the noise away - behind a bench etc.

I am going to try this.

When researching noise I learnt that the "db" scale is not linear.

Something that is ten times more noisy than 10db is not rated 100db but only 20db. :?

Tony.

Escudo":1h6bbdcj said:
Flan,

Something that is ten times more noisy than 10db is not rated 100db but only 20db. :?

Tony.
Thanks. That is very interesting. I always thought it was

It also makes a difference what sort of space you'll have the extractor in. When I listened to a camvac at the Harrogate show I'm sure it was quieter than once I'd bought it and put in in my 12'x6' shed.
There was a design for a silencer in one of the wood turning magazines and it helped a little.
I've also seen an interesting description of a home-made muffler on a us site.

My eventual plan is to box in the extractor behind plywood and insulation

I think Numatic now also produce the Henry vacuums, which are about the quietest things I've come across, even on the higher speed setting. I've also got a Nilfisk-Alto vacuum (D&M Tools). Although it's not as quiet as the Henry, it's a considerably more comfortable than the noise of your average Record Power extractor!! :wink:

Of course, these two examples are vacuum-type extractors which would be best suited for use with power tools and small machinery. As a general workshop extractor, you'd be better off with one of the previous suggestions. Speaking of the Record Power extractors, I think matt (???) was looking at modding his to "exhaust" the excess noise from the hood in the same way that a Camvac extractor does as standard.

Escudo":3txxh3rx said:

To complicate it, ears aren't linear either.

basically think 2x as loud for a 3db increase it's a log scale so an increase of 10dB from 10dB to 20dB is

10dB = 3+3+3+1 so 2x2x2x1and a bit

Escudo":2ws8zrj2 said:
Flan,

I have just purchased a couple of Camvac machines. A good tip from Rob, endorsed by Camvac, to reduce noise is to attach a hose to the top outlet and direct the noise away - behind a bench etc.

Tony.

As I discovered the other day, there's another use for the hose in the outlet. If the shed/workshop is a bit chilly you can use the heat generated by the extractor to warm yourself up - the hose can direct the heat wherever it's needed eg. up your shirt :shock:

hi

Danny wrote

basically think 2x as loud for a 3db increase it's a log scale so an increase of 10dB from 10dB to 20dB is

10dB = 3+3+3+1 so 2x2x2x1and a bit

Danny is spot on here .

As far as i can remember about db when we complained back in the seventy in the joinery shop at Portland about the noise level the standards for the levels then, Designated noise hazard area level were 98 db, we had levels of 117 recorded, to raise the level by 3 db you double the noise levels hence why I am not deaf, but do have difficulty in hearing certain tones.

The alteration made after the test were taken was very limited things like dividing the shop down the middle with a concrete wall which did help when working on the bench , things like rubber feet to all machines , only one joiner in the machine shop at one time and then only for a limited time each day, then suddenly ear muffs got supplies to all joiners after we had been asking for them for years, as the one that were already there were not to be use as they were for visitors only :twisted: so if you can make changes to your noise levels do it .

You can buy noise levels machine from e bay , don't know if there any good , maybe someone would like to comment on them , i did try and buy one before Christmas from china but it went astray in the post and haven't bothered since.

Might be nice to here what other have done to reduce they levels . hc :wink: :D

Back