beading tool and parting tool.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You just hone the top face. I do mine with a diamond credit card type sharpener, never touch the profiled face. Also when you use it, hold the handle quite high up so the tool is angled down into the spindle and move the wings from right to left to chase out the bead. You get lots of tear out if you just plunge right in.

With the thin parting tool, I also usually hone one facet but given they have no curved profile you can just kiss both surfaces with the diamond credit card hone and it gives a razor sharp point. Doesn't last long mind! Soon as any binding heat gets on it, the edge is long gone.

And finish with another tool

So that I understand, Derek, can I ask why?

My thin parting tool is used in this orientation:-
part.jpg

I just touch up the lower bevel on the grinding wheel, to the wheel natural contour.
If the lower bevel starts to get over large I will do likewise with the Top Bevel for a few sharpenings to bring the profile back.

Attachments

• part.jpg
    part.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 1,142
chas, i presume that that profile would work if the lower bevel was flat rather than the profile of the wheel?

marcros":ivk8339a said:
And finish with another tool

So that I understand, Derek, can I ask why?

Sometimes what can happen if you go full depth is it can tear the grain at the very top of the bead. This can happen more or less depending on the wood in question

CHJ":2twot0ss said:
My thin parting tool is used in this orientation:-

I just touch up the lower bevel on the grinding wheel, to the wheel natural contour.
If the lower bevel starts to get over large I will do likewise with the Top Bevel for a few sharpenings to bring the profile back.

If you use it the other way up the edge is effectively unsupported, being so far from the rest.

marcros":29rtjb0s said:
chas, i presume that that profile would work if the lower bevel was flat rather than the profile of the wheel?
Don't think it makes any significant difference if you sharpened it flat on a ProEdge rest for instance, it's in the realms of curved as opposed to flat bevels discourse and I've yet to be able to tell the difference, so much variation in wood characteristics and tool approach angles I doubt anyone could determine any difference.

The bottom bevel does not need to be long, 3-4mm is enough I find (longer of no consequence) it's just enough to give a bit of bevel support and stop too aggressive a dive into the wood if its rather open grained.

Dalboy":3hlibzta said:
Sometimes what can happen if you go full depth is it can tear the grain at the very top of the bead. This can happen more or less depending on the wood in question

I prefer to use the Ashly Iles version which are sharpened on the front edge bevel because of their longer bevel profile and can be touched up on grinder or with a card and in effect are naturally presented in a negative bevel mode, the same caveat referred to by Derek applies though regarding caution with the very short grained areas at the top of the bead.

CHJ":21s15u1x said:
Dalboy":21s15u1x said:

I prefer to use the Ashly Iles version which are sharpened on the front edge bevel because of their longer bevel profile and can be touched up on grinder or with a card and in effect are naturally presented in a negative bevel mode, the same caveat referred to by Derek applies though regarding caution with the very short grained areas at the top of the bead.

Mine is also an Ashley Iles beader and I prefer the way it is made easier to sharpen without any problems

Back