whats the finish?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mineral oil Bob, not mineral spirits. That's liquid paraffin in English.

The description says what he used:
Its finished in a wipe on poly then hand rubbed to a smooth finish using a thinned down food grade mineral oil.

There are many commercial furniture polishes with liquid paraffin in them. Almost all seasoned pros warn against them. They're not good for the underlying finish and remain 'wet' (that's literally the only way they add shine). Because the oil is permanently liquid in means they are, relatively speaking, dust magnets compared to wax polishes.

Any oil-based finish will get you much the same look. This sort of thing always makes me shake my head, if he'd just continued to apply wipe-on poly (regular polyurethane thinned down) he'd have achieved the same thing but it would have a hard surface that would shrug off dust, not allow it to stick!

I didnt realise there was a hidden part of the description, (lol).
I assumed it was something special because he had it in a cut down container rather than a commercial tin. My first thought was some kind of cold pour plastic.
i just might start some sculptured stuff next year, I can only make so many boxes.

Mineral Spirits is the US and Canadian term for what's called White Spirits in the UK.

Mineral Oil is completely different.

Back