Bench Cookies

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Littleoldman

Established Member
Reaction score
I have bought a set of the above and now I need some 5/16th threaded inserts. Seems an impossible task here in the UK. Trolled the web for them and had no luck. There are expensive ones on Amazon (£2 each) but they are 4 weeks delivery. Has anyone on the site managed to get imperial threaded inserts over here?

If you show us the whole problem I'm sure someone will come up with a solution, even if some of us have never felt the need for a bench cookie in our lives.

Rorschach, Bought them from Amazon. I bought the kit.
Andy. Bench cookie comes with risers (legs) one end threads into the bench cookie and the other end 5/16th thread into a fixing I want on my MFT top. My bench is on castors and fits under a kitchen worktop in my garage so its too low as a working height, the cookies were bought so that I could work 5" or so higher than my bench top. I can't change the threads I will just have to wait for Israel to send them. Just never thought that a little threaded insert would be impossible to get here in the UK.

Can't you just do what Dave Stanton did? His YouTube videos show him using a bench cookie on the other end of the riser. Seems stable and doesn't appear to move at all.

It sounds like a gadget made for the American market where imperial threads are still the norm. It's hard to help without pictures but maybe you could remove the threaded parts from the risers and replace them with metric ones. Or make your own metric threaded risers.

Or just nail some boards together to make a box to raise your working height?

Ah! Threaded inserts. I've been looking at the world of inserts myself as i want some that work well in hardwood. Most of the ones for wood are only good for softwood and sheet goods. They are also surprisingly expensive.

Littleoldman":2xkhh2h4 said:
Rorschach, Bought them from Amazon. I bought the kit.
Andy. Bench cookie comes with risers (legs) one end threads into the bench cookie and the other end 5/16th thread into a fixing I want on my MFT top. My bench is on castors and fits under a kitchen worktop in my garage so its too low as a working height, the cookies were bought so that I could work 5" or so higher than my bench top. I can't change the threads I will just have to wait for Israel to send them. Just never thought that a little threaded insert would be impossible to get here in the UK.

No I meant buy some 5/16 thread nuts and epoxy them in instead of using inserts. You aren't going to put a lot of pressure on the threads so a countersink and some epoxy would be enough to hold a nut in.

The latest: I logged on to Amazon.com (USA) found a pack of 50 threaded nuts and with express delivery the total was £16 the same price as the 8 from Israel so I cancelled the 8.

Having only been doing this woodwork lark for 45 years I had never come across bench cookies.
Now I know what they are my mind is having a bit of a wtf boggle.

lurker: been in it for 51 years and never saw them until I watched some videos. Its this internet that's to blame!!! My wife doesn't believe me. Blocks of wood will do the same but I'm enjoying streamlining the workshop and my wallet (not so much). I'll report back if they are being used.

Back