Inca Bandsaw Euro 260 motor running backwards!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clangerbird

Reaction score
Switched on my bandsawsaw and some odd noises but ran fine. Decided to change blade and could not get it to set and realised motor was running in reverse direction. Starts fine and runs well without blade but cannot get it to run in correct direction.
Leroy Somer motor D29P . Machine is 1980's but not greatly used and in perfect condition - any advice?

Assuming its three phase, swap over any two of the three live feeds.
If its single phase, youre in trouble.

Thanks for prompt response. Not sure where capacitor situated on this motor (no obvious one unless in switch unit). Not 3 phase even tried swapping live / neutral connections in plug with same result.

The most valuable bit of the old thread is the last post I think. Nice that Sylvandale took the time to let everyone know the outcome.

Thanks for your help. Is the capacitor likely to be situated within the switch assembly on this motor? Pic attached

Attachments

• P1040459.JPG
    P1040459.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 115
There's not a metal cylinder bolted to the motor somewhere?

never seen one inside the switch before.

small capacitors are opften inside the connection box. Normally a white plastic cylinder, sometimes a little rectangular box.

Had prompt and helpful response from Mike at Inca - thanks for link. Will let you know how I get on!

Inca Machines ([email protected])
To:you Details
The capacitor is behind the fan, you need to remove the fan cover, the fan and then metal housing.
Please take care when removing old capacitors, they need to be discharged otherwise you can get a shock, can cause injury

If you havent played with capacitors before, then you need to be a bit careful. they store high voltage to kick start the motor.

The way to "disarm" a capacitor is to use a big heavy screwdriver with a plastic or wood handle (Always DRY).
put the blade across the two terminals of the capacitor to short it out. There might be a click, or maybe even a small flash but its not all that dangerous with the kind of capacitors on our machines. On very large industrial machines, they can kill

Hi Got it apart ok but wiring to capacitor is burned out for some reason - do I simply repair wiring or is there likely to be another problem?

Attachments

• P1040464.JPG
    P1040464.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 55
  • P1040462.JPG
    P1040462.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 56
The cables need replacing/repairing but while it is stripped down I would be tempted to replace the capacitor anyway although this is probably OK, the damage to the cables looks like pinching/vibration damaging the the insulation allowing a poor contact between the wires which has then generated heat/arcing. You do not need to buy the capacitor from the manufacturer unless it is a very odd size they are available at reasonable prices from a variety of places on the web.

Hi Thanks for advice have ordered capacitor and will let you know how it goes once I get it fitted. Looking forward to getting it working again!

Are the burnt cables on the mains incoming side? or the motor wiring?
If its mains wiring, replace the whole lead.
If its motor wiring, very carefully strip back the wires to good copper colour, and remake the connections.

The capacitor is rated in micro farads, which is shown on the capacitor as a number followed by a little greek "m" (which looks like a dyslexic "y") and a capital F. if you have a washing machine repair shop nearby they will almost certainly have one, or maybe an electrical wholesaler or of course, the ebay.

Get the same or very close to it and you will be good to go.

First thing, repair the two leads to remove any short. Insulate to make safe. Try starting machine, with care it should be possible to start it spinning in either direction.
If it does then reconnect original capacitor and it should run in correct direction, I think it's unlikely that the original capacitor is defective, the fault being down to the trapped wires.

So grateful for all your advice. Wires were just the two to the capacitor. Ordered new one as precaution - only £5 delivered so worth it as precaution I think. Hopefully will be back in business once it arrives!

Result! Great service from scraggy-cat spares on Ebay. Received and fitted new capacitor today and all working fine again. Thanks to all of you for your help and advice - sure I will be back again!

Back