BT landline fault reporting telephone number

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Suspecting a fault with my elderly mothers' BT landline I looked for in vain to find the fault reporting telephone number. All I found was a chat box and a 30 minute wait.

Does this useful number still exist ?

My phone line dropped out a couple of weeks ago and I used an automatic BT online check. An engineer called within 2 days and fixed the damage to their wiring. If the fault is within the house they will charge.
Hope that helps.

John

John15":1rd7xzfb said:
My phone line dropped out a couple of weeks ago and I used an automatic BT online check. An engineer called within 2 days and fixed the damage to their wiring. If the fault is within the house they will charge.
Hope that helps.

John

To do that you seemed to need to have a BT account set up etc.

Subsequent to the above, I have found a number that can be called from any phone

0800 800 150

No idea why BT hide this snippet away.

If you are not a BT customer, you are supposed to report any fault to your service rovider regardless of where you think the fault lies in the line. They will do a line check at the request of the provider and charge them if no fault found outside the home on the line. If found fix it gratis to the othe telecom provider. They provide a direct number for non bt customers to call because offcom stipulate they must. They don't want to hear from you though as you are not their customer basically and make it a pain to find the number

Droogs":365vl9ua said:
If you are not a BT customer, you are supposed to report any fault to your service rovider regardless of where you think the fault lies in the line. They will do a line check at the request of the provider and charge them if no fault found outside the home on the line. If found fix it gratis to the othe telecom provider. They provide a direct number for non bt customers to call because offcom stipulate they must. They don't want to hear from you though as you are not their customer basically and make it a pain to find the number

But what do you so if the number you are reporting is someone elses and who is a BT customer as in my case ?

I Roger. One thing you will probably be asked to do once you can find a fault number is plug another corded phone into the master socket to help make sure the fault is not in the premises or the phone itself. The master socket is behind the cover of one of the outlets in the home. At least this is the case with our provider which is the Post Office who I might add may not be the cheapest but are easy to contact with actual human beings in the UK!

Edit.
This is why we ended up with the post office from a post I made elsewhere.

When I was building our house and the roof and barge boarding was done I contacted BT and they organised for a cable to be nailed up outside and threaded through the wall but not connected to the pole as I would not be ready for this for some time, this all went without a hitch. The problem came when we were ready to be finally connected, I contacted them and tried to explain what I needed doing. This proved difficult

" just plug your phone into the box on the wall"

I explained we need the house connecting for a new build

"who are you with now"

nobody

"what does it say on the box on the wall"

we don't have one

"you must have"

no it's a new connection etc. etc..

I might add I had spent nearly half an hour to get to talk to this person, anyway after being bumped around some more departments it was arranged that I would be contacted by Openeach within 10 days to arrange connection 10 days came and went. I called BT again and another 45 minutes of my life were wasted to be told I would be contacted by Openreach within 10 days, you guessed it nothing happened. I left it some more time but still no contact. I had plenty to get on with on the house but we did want a phone (not an unreasonable expectation I think). When regaling this tale of woe to a friend they asked whether I had contacted the Post Office, logical I suppose, certainly as logical as buying electricity from a British gas. The Post Office organised it with one simple phone call and we have stayed with them.

There has to be a way of reporting a fault on Line A from telco B using line D (or mobile) via telco C.
Just take the example of a catastrophic fault on line A

Chickens and eggs come to mind.

Telco B might ask if caller D has power of attorney over subscriber A :lol:

BT can be complete A'holes at times.
I've just bought a flat to rent out and the line is live but no dialtone. So I rang BT from home to ask if they were the provider or not at that address but they would not tell me as I was not the account holder.
Clearly there is no account holder (previous tenants left in January)
But I'm the new owner of the property i said.
Do you want us to supply telephone service they said.
No says I. I just want to know who the telco is for that line so I can tell my new tenant.
"We can't help you then"
FFS
Strange there is a database for who supplies gas to every address that will help and I quite quickly found the Elec supplier also without reference to the previous tenant who is long gone.
All I was trying to was to supply a helpful tenant information pack for the incoming couple!!
Grrr!

dc_ni":1zpifqjc said:
I'm not sure if this will work but can you try going through the chat option on this page:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/c/345/a_id/9196/#homephone

It seems you have to be logged into an account to click on the "Get Started" option but if you use the "click here to chat with us now" you might be able to get help, even if it's just a number you can ring.

Chat ? Useless. If you are prepared to wait for ever.

Anyway, we are all sorted.

The number to call from any phone (mobile or landline) and regardless of provider is

0800 800 150.

your mother will have a bt logon, even if she does not/never has used it. you can try to find it here:
https://www.bt.com/managepassword/merge ... er_journey

or you can dial 100 from any BT phone and choose option 2 and then option 2 again and then put in the faulty bt number and a line check will be done and if faulty a work chit will be raised automaticaly

Back