The ‘Woodturning Challenge’ 2016 Get your thinking caps on

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grahamshed

Established Member
Reaction score
With the final challenge of 2015 now underway it is time to look to next year.

I am willing to carry on in the same format that we have had this year ( as are the judges ) but if anyone else wants to take over and return it to a monthly challenge I am happy to stand down.

So, assuming nobody wants to take over, lets talk about the challenges for next year. …
What sort of tasks would you like to see ? Can we come up with 4 interesting subjects that will be ‘doable’ by beginners yet still appeal to the more experienced turner who may be able to add an extra dimension ?

Do you actually want the competition to continue ?

Why are so few turners involved with the challenges ? What could we do to increase the number of entries. ?

Lets get some discussions going. Don’t be shy, say what you think.

I'll definitely take part next year, would like to try the candle holders if I can get my garage & new bench sorted. I am only a beginner thou :)

Although by 2116 I should be a bit better :lol:

The format as it is I find great as with one a month some months I found it hard to get anything made even though I did manage it.
I had other things to make especially towards Christmas. I think whatever you choose to be the subject for each challenge should be reasonably simple so that all can enter from the novice upwards.

Bigbud78":3d1ucqo5 said:
I'll definitely take part next year, would like to try the candle holders if I can get my garage & new bench sorted. I am only a beginner thou :)

Although by 2116 I should be a bit better :lol:

no excuse for people not entering by that date they should have had plenty of practice :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Glad you are liking the format Dalboy, now how about some suggestions for the new challenges ? :)

• 1. Six matching Napkin Rings.
    2. Three Matching or Complimentary Bangles/Bracelets
    3. Turning Tool Handle
    4. Tool Handle fitted with a Hex tool bit Holder
    5. Pencil or water colour Paint Brush Holder.
    6. Matching Pendant and Ear Ring set.

On the subject of beginners versus more experienced members entering same challenge.
Rather than trying to split into different categories based on experience would it be possible to judge each challenge based on a few basic categories.

Something along the lines of:-
  • 1. Difficulty of construction or material choice. (plain wood/multi species/segments/layers/inlays etc.)
    2. Tooling lines, curve blending, proportions etc.
    3. Quality of finishing.

Could perhaps the challenges be aimed at three levels for the final big challenge of the year. For instance
Novice - a picnic set - serving platters, small plates and cups
Intermmediate - Every day dinner service for 4 dinners - side plates, soup bowls, mains plates, desert bowls, tea cups and saucers
expert - a fine dining set for 6 with different sized plates for each course for hors d'oeuvres, soup, fish, meat, desert, and cheeses with tea cups, coffee cups, red and white wine goblets. Also with all the platters serving dishes etc and fine table wear.

I know it may seem a lot but pehaps each quarter of the year can concentrate on a different part of each set. feel free to tell me to wind me neck in if you want
:)

I think something on the lines of.

1 Goblet. ------------- This will test spindle turning
2 A bowl. ------------- Something across the grain
3 A turned box with matching grain. ------------- A simple hollowing exercise
4 A Hanging Christmas decoration no larger than 3" tall. ------------- Turning of small parts and finials

I know the goblet and bowls are the norm but I have added next to each one what type of turning is involved and hopefully nothing that is too difficult but allows for every one to try different turning techniques.

One thing that has got to be considered is not every one has a lathe to do larger pieces of turning or blanks large enough I am fortunate in that my lathe will take larger pieces

Droogs":3v7qry6w said:
Could perhaps the challenges be aimed at three levels for the final big challenge of the year. For instance
Novice - a picnic set - serving platters, small plates and cups
Intermmediate - Every day dinner service for 4 dinners - side plates, soup bowls, mains plates, desert bowls, tea cups and saucers
expert - a fine dining set for 6 with different sized plates for each course for hors d'oeuvres, soup, fish, meat, desert, and cheeses with tea cups, coffee cups, red and white wine goblets. Also with all the platters serving dishes etc and fine table wear.

I know it may seem a lot but pehaps each quarter of the year can concentrate on a different part of each set. feel free to tell me to wind me neck in if you want
:)

I seem to have missed this post somehow, sorry.
I think the sheer volume of work may put many people off ( lets hear what others think! ) but I quite like the concept of using the first three challenges as stepping stones to the last one. I need to think about that a bit. :)

Some good ideas there. My ten-penneth. Don't over complicate the nature of the piece to be done because entries are already low and a lot of that I suspect is to do with time. If you make the pieces too complicated it will mean even fewer entrants.

I've enjoyed the couple of competitions I've entered here. Somewhere between four and six a year seems ideal to me. Keeping it simple (or at least potentially simple) makes sense to me too. If I can knock up an entry in an evening there's much more chance of me entering. The idea of a cumulative project leading to a tea set or whatever is lovely but means once you've missed one you're out of the running so I can't see how it would work in practice.
Which means I'm happy with things as they are - except that with things as they are there were only six entries to a quartely competition with a nice simple entry requirement.
I do think feedback is important. I entered the bowl competition three months ago. Made my bowl, went throught the effort of getting the pictures the right size, posted them up and got not a single word of feedback which was a bit demoralising. This time I got some points and feedback too so I'm happy as Larry, but for those of us less experienced members who are less likely to win the likelihood of feedback is a big incentive to entering (in my opinion anyway).
An extra "best newcomer" prize or something similar might encourage some who've not entered and who feel they can't compete with some of the old hands who's work is good enough that they are more likely to win. It's really important that the people producing excellent work continue to enter and provide inspiration but also important that newcomers or less confident turners feel there's some point in them entering. Whether that is done with a newcomers category or a couple of "honourable mentions" for good beginner work I don't know but it would be lovely to encourage more entries.
Cheers
Ian

Castanea":vdan72th said:
I've enjoyed the couple of competitions I've entered here. Somewhere between four and six a year seems ideal to me. Keeping it simple (or at least potentially simple) makes sense to me too. If I can knock up an entry in an evening there's much more chance of me entering. The idea of a cumulative project leading to a tea set or whatever is lovely but means once you've missed one you're out of the running so I can't see how it would work in practice.
Which means I'm happy with things as they are - except that with things as they are there were only six entries to a quartely competition with a nice simple entry requirement.
I do think feedback is important. I entered the bowl competition three months ago. Made my bowl, went throught the effort of getting the pictures the right size, posted them up and got not a single word of feedback which was a bit demoralising. This time I got some points and feedback too so I'm happy as Larry, but for those of us less experienced members who are less likely to win the likelihood of feedback is a big incentive to entering (in my opinion anyway).
An extra "best newcomer" prize or something similar might encourage some who've not entered and who feel they can't compete with some of the old hands who's work is good enough that they are more likely to win. It's really important that the people producing excellent work continue to enter and provide inspiration but also important that newcomers or less confident turners feel there's some point in them entering. Whether that is done with a newcomers category or a couple of "honourable mentions" for good beginner work I don't know but it would be lovely to encourage more entries.
Cheers
Ian

There's some wisdom in that Ian. I agree some form of incentive for the less experienced folks would provide greater encouragement. On the feedback side, also, I think Graham's approach in the Sept comp was good ie almost formalising the feedback so its expected. But bear one thing in mind (which I did a lot when I started) which is to feel free to post anything and everything you turn and invite comments and constructive feedback. I mean outside the competition. There is a thirst on this forum for WIP's of any kind including turning and I would strongly encourage you to post up work as you go as you'll receive no end of help doing that. That and joining a turning club helped me enormously.

Random Orbital Bob":20eg48up said:
On the feedback side, also, I think Graham's approach in the Sept comp was good ie almost formalising the feedback so its expected.

Nowt to do with me :)
Castanea PMd me asking if feedback was possible, I forwarded his request to Mark Hannaby and he was good enough to comply. I have to agree though, it certainly added another dimension to the challenge.

My mind is working on ways to increase the number of entries, anyone willing to donate a Rolls Royce every quarter ?

Seriously though, I am old enough ( and ugly enough ) to remember a long series of adverts on TV which just played a tune and then flashed the word 'BONANSA' across the screen, It grabbed everyones attention and it was weeks before we found out that it was a new cowboy series.

More recently they did something similar in the Australian outback with a boomarang but I cannot remember what that was for.

So I am thinking maybe we could keep this at the front of potential entrants minds by everyone posting in the challenge announcment threads. Maybe you have questions to ask, maybe you see a good Youtube video on the current theme. Maybe you remember a joke about the Englishman, Scotsman and Irishman and the Christmas candlestick ???

i.e Lets get more involved and remember the challenge is meant to be fun, not a chore..

Blimey - I don't think I've ever been accused of Wisdom before :)
Yes, I guess keeping the challenge in view by posting to the thread now and again can't do any harm.
I'm happy to have a go at all of the suggested ideas for challenges by the way. In some ways it's more interesting being asked to produce something out of your usual repertoire rather than just another bowl (although even bowls can be made different by stipulating a lidded bowl or some other variation.
I will post things for comments (had to Google WIPs I'm afraid!) but it is particularly nice to get feedback in the context of the challenge too.
It would be even more useful to hear from people who didn't enter. Quite frankly my opinion is irrelevant as I'm entering already :)

If you want some in depth feedback you can always submit a piece for comment specifically annotating it in the title as requiring Critique, it might then generate some additional in depth feedback.

It will then get referenced here for others to research post558934.html

The thing for everybody to remember there is a difference between Criticism and balanced Critique.

CHJ":1bkdymsg said:
If you want some in depth feedback you can always submit a piece for comment specifically annotating it in the title as requiring Critique, it might then generate some additional in depth feedback.

It will then get referenced here for others to research post558934.html

The thing for everybody to remember there is a difference between Criticism and balanced Critique.

The problem with the separate post you linked to is people forget it is there I always post my work under a separate post in the turning section. And I will put C & C welcome or words to that effect in my post

I am happy with the format as is. I do welcome the feedback especially from the full time pro turners/judges. Doing a "set" of anything may be a challenge too far. A pair is one thing but 6 of a kind I would struggle with.

I think Chas used the words "matching or complimentary" which I liked - it gives those of us who struggle to make two the same a bit of a let off :)
I was pleased with the goblet I made for the latest challenge until I showed it to my partner who's immediate response was "that's nice - can you do another five the same please?" Ouch!
Perhaps for some of us the phrase "recognisably similar" might suffice :D

Latest posts

Back