Table Saw Danger

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hemsby

Established Member
Reaction score
I am sure most are familiar with the dangers of the good old table saws.

I am still not sure exactly what happened only that I was cutting a groove only 5mm deep in a piece of softwood using a push stick, clearly the stick made contact with the blade projecting it backwards into the underside of my forearm :cry: .

Fortunately the end of the stick had a large radius otherwise the damage would have far more serious, although it still managed to open a deep wound requiring stitches. The hospital doctor said he could see some of the Tendons.!!!! 8-[

I have 50 years of experience using machines such as this and hopefully like everyone treat them with the utmost respect, but accidents do happen.

Hopefully my experience may just be a reminder of the dangers even when paying attention to what you are doing.

I would post a picture of the injury for those interested in gore but the dressing is still in place :roll:

Regards

Keith

Show me the blood n gore :twisted:

Seriously though that does sound painful and by the sound of it you were lucky not to have done more damage,
hope all heals well :)

Keith,

Thanks for sharing your experience - eternal vigilance and all that.

I hope the wound heals well.

Kev

Hi,

Thank you,

By popular request, just a teaser will reveal the full Mony Tomorrow during dressing change.

Regards

Keith

First dressing change Today #-o Only happened on Tuesday but seems to be healing ok and everything is working =D> . Stitches out on Tuesday. Did a CSI type re enactment (without the blade rotating :idea: ) but still no wiser as to exactly what happened.
Managed to do a bit of organising in the workshop today, but will be a couple of weeks before I can do anything constructive.

Thank you for kind words,

Regards

Keith

Ouch!! That looks nasty..... I did something very similar about ten years ago but the push stick hit me straight in the right spheroid. I hit the floor like a ton of bricks. Had to have blood drained by a very smart nurse which wasn't to bad. Lol
It really focused the mind now when I'm on the saw.
I wish you a speedy recovery.....o and everyone out there always stand to the side of a rip saw. Lol

That is an unusual one but I feel the key may be you were cutting a groove.
I guess you had taken the crown guard off and you were working over the top of the saw blade. This is an illegal cut without the protection of a tunnel guard. I would guess your push stick made contact with the saw blade on the far side of it when it was on the up cut. This would throw the push stick into your arm or possibly break your wrist.
I have seen members on the forum comment on using push sticks on the surface planer and spindle moulder both of which are very dangers if the push stick can come into contact with the cutter block for the same reasons as stated above.
I do hope you heal soon and thanks for posting. these things happen so quickly and most of the time we are lucky but sometimes we get caught out.
We run short wood machining course's at the school to advice and explain the reasons for the regulations and safe wood machining processes, whist staying productive and working accurately.
I have been very lucky over the 30 + years I have been machining and it was luck that got me through the early years more experience in the latter years.

Cheers Peter

Peter Sefton":29dhynnx said:
That is an unusual one but I feel the key may be you were cutting a groove.
I guess you had taken the crown guard off and you were working over the top of the saw blade. This is an illegal cut without the protection of a tunnel guard. I would guess your push stick made contact with the saw blade on the far side of it when it was on the up cut. This would throw the push stick into your arm or possibly break your wrist.
I have seen members on the forum comment on using push sticks on the surface planer and spindle moulder both of which are very dangers if the push stick can come into contact with the cutter block for the same reasons as stated above.
I do hope you heal soon and thanks for posting. these things happen so quickly and most of the time we are lucky but sometimes we get caught out.
We run short wood machining course's at the school to advice and explain the reasons for the regulations and safe wood machining processes, whist staying productive and working accurately.
I have been very lucky over the 30 + years I have been machining and it was luck that got me through the early years more experience in the latter years.

Cheers Peter

Hi Peter

Thanks for the information.

Yes I had removed the guard & knife, I was standing in my normal operating position towards the side of the saw but obviously my hand & arm were offset to the blade using the stick.

I had already pushed about 1/2 meter of timber over the blade with about 20mm left to cut so at that point the blade was covered by the timber. Having looked at all the "evidence" today the timber is completely undamaged with about 5mm of groove uncut. Also holding the stick in the normal operating position it has a clear circular substantial cut in the downward direction, indicating it was caught in front of the blade.

As you appreciate it was over in milliseconds, my conclusion is that while pushing the timber I must have momentarily eased (perhaps too much) the pressure on the stick as it was approaching the exit of the blade which allowed the timber to rise up resulting in the stick catching the blade, turning it into a projectile.

Regards,

Keith

Keith your summary sounds about right. It is very easy for the timber to rise up at the end even more so if the timber is long or heavy as gravity takes hold and pulls the far end down. You only have to change your grip or loosen your hold for a moment and strange things happen.
Hope your back at the bench soon.
Cheers Peter

Back