Stanley Chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh deary me. They do keep shooting themselves in the foot rather, don't they?

Mind you, I was somewhat taken aback by how much work the backs of my L-N O1 chisels took recently. They weren't nearly as good as I recalled the A2s being; indeed there was a general feel of the newer chisels being just not quite as... I dunno, just... disappointing. It's not much, but the handles are a fraction smaller, the finish on them is shinier, the stamp isn't as clear. Just tiny niggles and my own fault for still having the older A2s to compare to. God knows what unhappiness a set of those Stanleys would cause me, on that basis!

Actually, are they going to be available in this country at all? I suppose the "Sweetheart" planes are - somewhere? I haven't seen them, but then I've not exactly looked.

Alf":3ktrn5b0 said:
Oh deary me. They do keep shooting themselves in the foot rather, don't they?

Mind you, I was somewhat taken aback by how much work the backs of my L-N O1 chisels took recently. They weren't nearly as good as I recalled the A2s being; indeed there was a general feel of the newer chisels being just not quite as... I dunno, just... disappointing. It's not much, but the handles are a fraction smaller, the finish on them is shinier, the stamp isn't as clear. Just tiny niggles ......
At the price (£50 ish EACH!) surely they should be absolutely perfect. Send em back.
If you'd paid £2.50 each for an inferior brand you might put up with a bit of fettling. Above £10 and you are into premium prices and should expect the best. It's not as though they are individually hand made like Karlsson etc.

Jacob, p'raps I should have. But they were bought over time (so a multiple hassle to do so) and honestly as they're not sold to be "just like the other ones you bought five years ago", it didn't occur to me. By the time I thought "well that took more work to flatten than I expected", I'd done it. :D

And you have just comprehensively out-toolie'd me with Karlsson - I had to Google! Oh the shame. #-o

I have never yet seen a chisel or plane iron that was perfect when new.

I got a set of Ashley Iles for my 40th and they are susposed to need little or no work on the backs and although this was the case on most of them a couple of the wider ones were nowhere near flat.

That said 30 mins flattening them later and they were fine, I love the feel and balance of them and they do take a good edge.

However seeing the pics of the Stanley ones I would be sending those back.

Tom

My medium veritas shoulder plane iron was dead flat, but it is quite narrow. =D>

Alf":15029w6c said:
J.....
And you have just comprehensively out-toolie'd me with Karlsson - I had to Google! Oh the shame. #-o
Strewth I wouldn't have thought it possible!
What about Gransfor- Bruks then?

I've been on a bowl carving course in case you are wondering.

tomatwark":21ev2ffp said:

I got a set of Ashley Iles for my 40th and they are susposed to need little or no work on the backs and although this was the case on most of them a couple of the wider ones were nowhere near flat.

That said 30 mins flattening them later and they were fine, I love the feel and balance of them and they do take a good edge.

However seeing the pics of the Stanley ones I would be sending those back.

Tom

I think the AI chisels are intentionally slightly hollow on the back.

tomatwark":2bnew98i said:

I got a set of Ashley Iles for my 40th and they are susposed to need little or no work on the backs and although this was the case on most of them a couple of the wider ones were nowhere near flat.....
Yebbut the LNs are about three times the price. I'd expect every one to be perfect, polished, finely honed, individually wrapped, signed, in a velvet-lined presentation case, with free entry to prize draw, surprise free gift, etc.
After all you are not particularly getting anything else extra for the money

PS Or buy one, get two free!

I agree that LN's are silly money and should be perfect, but the marketing for the Ashley Iles says they need no or little work, which is not always the case.

LN stuff was the dogs bits when it came out, but there are other makers out there now making stuff with a little fettling can be as good and in some cases without any fettling for a lot less money.

I own a LN block plane which I have had for alot of years but I am not sure I would spend the money they want for one now.

Also at the end of the day, every one of your tools becomes personal over time with little knocks and scratches. ( unless you are a collector only and put them in a cabinet, polish them and never let them put to play)

Tom

Alf":28i1p526 said:
Mind you, I was somewhat taken aback by how much work the backs of my L-N O1 chisels took recently.
Try preparing the backs of Japanese chisels wot aren't flat :shock: Matt's chisels from WH take a long time...say again, a very long time to flatten. At RC68 for the Japanese chisels, the O1 steel of an AI or LN seems a bit mushy by comparison - Rob

Hello,

Ah, those Swedish axes and carving tools. All a little bit pricey...

Sweetheart tools are sold in my country, low angle planes etc.

Over a size, any manufacturer's production quality will drop; a large operation with many workmen, more automation to push profits as high as possible. Stanley Black and Decker is a giant, these tools are not really important to them, just a marketing ploy. And Lie Nielsen has grown up to a degree, where it is not on a personal scale anymore...

But perhaps you are expecting too more... illusions, sweet illusions...

By,

János

Jacob":24pxazv3 said:
Alf":24pxazv3 said:
J.....
Strewth I wouldn't have thought it possible!
What about Gransfor- Bruks then?
Me neither! :lol: I do have a Gransfor-Bruks axe though. My brother gave it to me, not least, I believe, because he found it amusing to tell folks he was buying an axe for his little sister.

What about this bowl carving course then? Good? Details, man. Details. Better still, evidence of a carved bowl.

woodbloke":24pxazv3 said:
Try preparing the backs of Japanese chisels wot aren't flat :shock: Matt's chisels from WH take a long time...say again, a very long time to flatten.
Rob, um, you know the dips in the backs are supposed to be there, right...? ;)

And I know what some of you are thinking, and yup, I am an utterly hopeless case when it comes to being lured by chisels. Pretty much any chisel; the great, the good, and the "what the hell were you thinking buying that?". It's both an expensive and embarrassing addiction, but I console myself that when the Great Chisel Drought hits I'm going to be laughing... :wink:

Alf":2x7slden said:
Actually, are they going to be available in this country at all? I suppose the "Sweetheart" planes are - somewhere? I haven't seen them, but then I've not exactly looked.

They're here in ol' Eire anyway, the planes that is, just happened to spot them a month or so back in a tool store, they were hung up behind a counter, so I didnt get a feel. Didnt like asking the store keeper for a feel as I had no intent on buying, he'd reckon I was off my rocker.

Alf":17nsrqb2 said:
....What about this bowl carving course then? Good? Details, man. Details. Better still, evidence of a carved bowl.
Yes good. I put a link in above. Here it is again: a bowl carving course.
Brought them home to finish and at the moment they are getting worse (shudda stopped sooner!) but all is not lost as there is some thickness left and I'm having to find out how to polish tools (don't tell anybody!) i.e. make gouges very very sharp. Doing it with bits of wood on a lathe, with autosol polish.
I might post a snap if there is anything left to show when I've finished with them.
woodbloke":17nsrqb2 said:
Try preparing the backs of Japanese chisels wot aren't flat :shock: Matt's chisels from WH take a long time...say again, a very long time to flatten.
Even I knew that. C'mon Rob, concentrate!

PS thread here with snap of bowl - one somebody else's and one mine unfinished; even more unfinished at the moment.

Alf":1vd7nohk said:
Some of the chisels though, have a slight 'bump' just aft of the edge which needs to be removed and that's what takes the time. If they're pretty flat (or even slightly concave) then they're not too bad - Rob

This issue of rounded over chisel ends is annoying as it stops you getting a good edge in the early stages and/or involves some work in rectification. It is quite understandable as the guy grinding the backs either lets the edge run down the stone or lifts the handle end early. I suffered this on some of my AI set which is not acceptable on tools of that quality.

Re Stanley - a pity, but junk like the "new" planes

Latest posts

Back