Saws - don't go this low!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
I realise that in my public-spirited research into cheap chisels, I may have given the impression that I was recommending cheap tools (by which I mean tools made now to sell at a low price, not bargains where the seller let something go for a fraction of its value.)

Time for a corrective!

I invested another whole English pound of my own money and bought this:

IMG_2761_zpsb8452ab7.jpg

I felt a bit dirty buying it, but nobody was looking and I was doing it for your benefit.

I hesitate to call it a saw. It says 'saw' on the packaging and looks like one from a distance, but I look like Tom Cruise if the distance is great enough...

What do you get? A strip of unidentified metal to which a magnet will stick, covered in varnish, with a lumpy bit on one end. And one edge of the metal is a bit rough:

IMG_2763_zps4706ad74.jpg

I've not seen teeth like that before. The rake angle is 10° which is a bit steep for a rip and too shallow for a crosscut. The real stroke of originality though is that the included angle between the teeth does not slavishly follow hundreds of years of sawmaking but strikes out in a new direction of its own - it's 45°.

The teeth have been stamped out from the blank, but the clever designers have saved the trouble and expense of sharpening them at all:

IMG_2764_zps6ed6396f.jpg

though they have followed tradition and bent some of them out to one side:

IMG_2766_zps3a29d8ce.jpg

They have also included a handy angle marker on the handle:

IMG_2765_zpse2fe9161.jpg

but UK readers should note that this is marked in Chinese degrees, and the conversion rule is that 90° Chinese = 95° rest of the world. (Don't get misled by that!)

But frankly, the whole concept of right angles becomes boringly irrelevant once you start to use this "tool".

Now I should point out that I can use a saw. New readers may get the impression that I just buy cheap rubbish and sharpen it, but that's not true. So this is what happened when I put a bit of ordinary softwood in the vice and tried to take a vertical rip cut, 'letting the saw do the work' as my old school woodwork teacher used to say:

IMG_2767_zps81ccf519.jpg

And this is what happened on a cross-cut:

IMG_2768_zpsb79cdbbf.jpg

(Note too how the saw won't start to cut until it has jumped about enough to chew a little valley for it to rest in.)

So I hope my message is clear. This saw is not a saw. It really is beyond hope. I am not going to waste a file trying to improve it, even though its teeth have not been hardened, so could be sharpened. I have already spent five minutes taking the photos and a bit longer typing this up.

So, be warned, anyone hoping to fill a toolbox cheaply - do not buy this. Spend a few quid more and get one of the remarkably good hardpoint saws that are widely available, with teeth that are properly shaped and set.

Is that clear? ;-)

That's a lot of scrapers for a pound!

Pete

Good review, the blade guard shown in picture 1 has to be worth 50p!

Sadly.....somewhere there will be someone using one of these cutting for ever in circles blaming himself and never trying it again.

If nothing else a great demonstration of badly set teeth.

Sharpen and set and you probably have a usable saw, but good old ones are dirt cheap anyway.
It used to be normal to have to sharpen and set a new saw. Ready from the box is for beginners!

I dropped into a cycling forum for a while recently as I was looking to buy a bike. They kept mentioning BSO...I had no idea what they were talking about, but it was certainly not complimentary. I dug around a little longer and discovered that BSO stands for Bike Shaped Object...something that looks very like a bike without actually being able to perform the functions of a bike.

I suggest what we have here is a SSO.

This is a fascinating bit of research you are doing Andy. As a real handsaw snob, I could have told you so beforehand. :mrgreen:

Corneel":370pyw6w said:
This is a fascinating bit of research you are doing Andy. As a real handsaw snob, I could have told you so beforehand. :mrgreen:

Ok - but I'm stopping now - perhaps you'd like to try the hacksaw from the same shop - I think I already know whether it would cut anything harder than mud!

My father in law loves pound shops...he gave me a set of masonry drill bits once. About six months later I was putting a shelf up and I needed a drill bit...couldn't find my normal ones, so I gave those pound land ones a go. It looked lovely...even had a bit of red paint on the end and everything. Anyway, I started drilling...the bit immediately bent at right angles...whizzed around in a threatening manner, then flew off across the room.

I threw the rest in the bin. Still not sure if it was an assassination plot...

This fails the most basic test of UK consumer legislation: Sale of Goods Act, s.14 because it is not 'fit for purpose'. I should return it to the retailer and ask for your £1 back. If enough people did this, they'd have to take notice and stop defrauding people out of pound coins.

Even £1 is not cheap for an article which is utterly useless.

Sawyer":ygffrade said:
This fails the most basic test of UK consumer legislation: Sale of Goods Act, s.14 because it is not 'fit for purpose'. I should return it to the retailer and ask for your £1 back. If enough people did this, they'd have to take notice and stop defrauding people out of pound coins.

Even £1 is not cheap for an article which is utterly useless.

I would pay a pound for the laugh I have had reading the review.

Well done. We need more. :D

Mick

Thanks for you sacrifice in conducting this dangerous research on our behalf. I trust you were wearing appropriate safety equipment and had suitable guards in place while performing these tests, and I hope afore mentioned equipment was not purchased from the same supplier as the SSO.

If you need funds to continue your research I suggest you try a crowd funding campaign, I would willingly double you investment by donating a pound towards the project. :)

Back