Robert Sorby scraper?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you tried honing it on a diamond stone (or similar)? Whilst attached to the tool I tend to hone the cutting (front) surface but every now and again I take it off the tool, place it face down on the hone and move it around in a figure 8. Occasionally I'll take it to the grinder.

The proble is that as I have used it I have sharpened it on a spinning stone and it's now getting a bit too small and as it is cutting it clogs against the shaft. Not too bad a problem now, but it can only get smaller??

To use it as a shear scraper I have read that a bead should be formed on the edge from the grind stone. By putting it onto a diamond stone to take it away???

Jonzjob":2l379brh said:
To use it as a shear scraper I have read that a bead should be formed on the edge from the grind stone. ....

The burr from grinding is not really significant, and is just there because the stone is not cutting as sharp as it might, first touch and it will most likely break away.

To get a significant burr with structural strength on HSS is not easy, far more force is needed than on a cabinet scraper and really needs a cobalt pin in a jig that you can supply considerable contact force against.

I have no problems doing the sharpening Dalboy. It's just that the cutting edge is getting a tad too close to the shaft wot is holding it. I suppose that I could do a bit of very careful grinding on the end of said shaft? After all, there is a lot of meat on that end?

Meanwhile, my bed is shouting at me...

Jonzjob":2augwt8j said:
Errrrrrr???
It just don't take much to confuse me these daze Chas? .

Attachments

• burnisher.jpg
    burnisher.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 907
I forgot about the burnisher!
I sometimes use that as well but when I do I take the cutter off the tool as it's difficult to hold it flat on the burnisher base with the rounded underside of the tool. I put a spacer on the base so that the scraper is raised to the level where the burnishing rod is angled.

Latest posts

Back