Turning is Heaven in 2011

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chas, all your work look great, as ever a sweet finish :D !
I like how you have dealt with the burr, gives me ideas....hmmm.
I think it is Brown Mallee, very similar patterns and bark to some of the Red Mallee I have stashed.
I will have a try at a similar piece and see how it comes out :D
When I have got round to making that sleeve :oops:
Speak soon
Rich

richburrow":1p4wwh5x said:
.....I like how you have dealt with the burr, gives me ideas....hmmm.
Quite pleased with the outcome myself, presentation of finished piece is much enhanced by having a complete natural edge, burrs that have been truncated with a straight cut edge jar with me and I find very difficult to see an attractive solution.

Chas, I think that 'little voice' rymes with 'good choice'! That is a delightful box (sorry, box = parallel sides and flat bottom)

Bollaricis, that is a box and a lovely one at that. The combination of colours looks great. The shape and ballance are good for me and the finnish, dare I say, finnishes it!

Another one using up some oddments, Sycamore & Sapele (175mm)
DSCN2429.JPG
DSCN2430.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN2429.JPG
    DSCN2429.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 993
  • DSCN2430.JPG
    DSCN2430.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 994
Broke the boredom of two weeks forced inactivity with an hour at the lathe today, no good trying to finish off several segmented pots in the making due to time required but managed to to stay on my feet long enough to do these Walnut Light and Shower pulls for someone in the village.
Simple they may be, but a relief to at least do something constructive.
DSCN2439.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN2439.JPG
    DSCN2439.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 954
I know the feeling Chas :lol: First tending to ill offspring, then inevitably getting infected by them and not being able to do anything remotely constructive............ ](*,)

johnny.t.":182rtjxt said:
I know the feeling Chas :lol: First tending to ill offspring, then inevitably getting infected by them and not being able to do anything remotely constructive............ ](*,)

Ah but then some of us avoided the patter of tiny feet and allowed others to breed our pension payers. Don't know how you cope. We have enough trouble with cats and chickens.

Lost our first Orpington hen today. She must be the most expensive chicken in France. We ordered 20 eggs and ONE hatched £40 plus feed since, hardly any eggs and now she's died of cancer!! Very decorative though - she was.

Sorry to go a bit off topic Chas.

Some more offcuts stuck together in a more or less organised fashion.

Walnut, Ash, and Oak, (180mm dia.)

Attachments

• DSCN2444.JPG
    DSCN2444.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 2,752
  • DSCN2443.JPG
    DSCN2443.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 2,752
  • DSCN2440.JPG
    DSCN2440.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 2,750
I never ceased to be amazed and impressed by your breadth of knowledge and skills.

I love the things you produce

Whereas some go the out and out art route I remain inspired by your work and the quality of your finishes. As newbies we set out to discover what it is we want to produce

The traditional skills that you share with us is where I have set my aims. To produce quality products that show off the natural beauty of the wood. It is all subjective where we take our turning, but ever since I started and found this site, yours has been the consistent font of knowledge that is always respected and acknowledged (even when telling me I have taken a wrong turn

Keep them all coming and thanks for sharing, and accept my thanks for your many contributions to us all.

Sometimes it is just nice to say "thank you" , so although this bout was triggered by your latest efforts, this is a grand round up of thanks for the the regular contributions =D>

(Any one would think you were the judge!)

Another basic Box for the pressy store, Walnut, Ash and Oak 175mm dia.
DSCN2452.JPG
DSCN2453.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN2452.JPG
    DSCN2452.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 2,726
  • DSCN2453.JPG
    DSCN2453.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 2,726
And something a little different; done basically as a design/process proving excersise, 220mm dia.

Space Platter in Walnut and Ash.
DSCN2454.JPG
DSCN2457.JPG

I think I might have had the lathe spinning a bit too fast.

Attachments

• DSCN2454.JPG
    DSCN2454.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 2,726
  • DSCN2457.JPG
    DSCN2457.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 2,726
Yet another box in Ash, Oak & Walnut, 160mm dia.
DSCN2459.JPG
DSCN2461.JPG
DSCN2464.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN2459.JPG
    DSCN2459.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 2,703
  • DSCN2461.JPG
    DSCN2461.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 2,703
  • DSCN2464.JPG
    DSCN2464.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 2,703
richburrow":1s1liwe6 said:
.... the swirly one is very nice!!
Yes it's a pattern that I like, adds a little something extra to simple segmenting.
I need to develope and master a better control of dimensioning though, I mean how perverse can a piece of 'dry' wood be before you next pick it up.

Some more wood with movement, slowly sorting out the patience to achieve good joins in thicker pieces.

Walnut, AsH & Beech (160mm dia.)
DSCN2473.JPG
DSCN2474.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN2473.JPG
    DSCN2473.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 2,653
  • DSCN2474.JPG
    DSCN2474.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 2,653
Back