Turning is Heaven in 2011

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Rich,
richburrow":11kggyvn said:
...I really like the lip, would make it easy to hold one handed..,

Hardly Rich, at least not the right way up and certainly not with fruit in it. (365 mm diameter)

The lip is deliberately formed with a concave outer to aid grip when moving if full though.

A couple of lidded pots turned from Home Grown hedge Beech, with Walnut offcut lids.
DSCN2656.JPG
DSCN2657.JPG
120mm diameter.

DSCN2658.JPG
DSCN2659.JPG
85mm diameter

Attachments

• DSCN2656.JPG
    DSCN2656.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 943
  • DSCN2657.JPG
    DSCN2657.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 943
  • DSCN2658.JPG
    DSCN2658.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 944
  • DSCN2659.JPG
    DSCN2659.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 944
Great looking pots Chas :D
Love the colour of the Beech and gives a great contrast with the Walnut.
I bet the Beech took some careful drying out :?:

Blister":19aeg7an said:
Did you have to recover the one with the 2 knots in the side ?
Yes Allan, Knot/Rot holes from previous pruning, just a bit of CA and some coffee grounds to fill small voids.
Paul.J":19aeg7an said:
Love the colour of the Beech and gives a great contrast with the Walnut.
I bet the Beech took some careful drying out :?:
Part of that stash in the old greenhouse Paul from about 18months ago, funnily enough the Beech hedge prunings don't seem to split, might be because I only saved the crown chunks with multiple branching knots.

An exercise in faith and fingers crossed, a bit of Cherry from some local trees felled last sunday, not exactly the ideal time of the year so decided to see what happens with a few bits of it whilst fresh rather than fume over the inevitable splits that will ensue over the next couple of years or so.

Nothing special in form, soaked in Lemon Oil to slow the drying, a bit special in as much as it's the 1000th. entry in the Bits and Pieces gallery.
DSCN2667.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN2667.JPG
    DSCN2667.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 892
Paul.J":1yzess1b said:
Thats a lovely looking piece Chas for your 1000th :shock:
Love the colour of it.
How thick/thin are the walls :?:

We'll have to see how the colour sorts itself out as it dries, currently it's going reder with air exposure but who knows when the water/solvent sorts itself out assuming it's not firewood chips in the morning. A nats under 4mm thick Paul.

This is a beautiful bowl chas, does it have a foot, if so I think the gentle lift it gives the piece is excellent, looks almost like its floating. The photograph is great too, really adds to the piece.

Fingers crossed its still in one piece today Chas. Its a gem.

skeetoids":2pxprufn said:
This is a beautiful bowl chas, does it have a foot,.....

Yes Lee, about 5mm, just a cleanup of the holding spigot,
loz":2pxprufn said:
Fingers crossed its still in one piece today Chas.

Still there this morning, movement so far, which started within a couple of hours, is an inward curl along the grain axis which means it now rocks like a cradle when touched, but remains upright when stationary. (A total of 5mm curl so far on a 40mm wide base) If it survives I think I will resist flattening the base as it adds a novel character to the piece.

Chas. A little cracker looks good enough to eat, hope it dont split
1000 pieces "wow" havent the brain to even think that many.
REgards Boysie

Thanks Eugene, by the way it's behaving at the moment I think some more of it is going to get turned wet.
May just turn and leave to dry out before final finishing though, a real pain to finish whilst wet, wood slurry clogs any abrasive that looks at it and turning without any tool marks at all is a bit beyond me with those whirling wings, I suppose card scraping is a possibility.

Minor tool bruising is becoming obvious as the water leaves and may need some attention in future, think these may be easier to address as a one time finish when dried, we shall see.

Chas I'm sure you have tried Abrenet does it make any differance at all ?. Some say it is very good for wet turning, I have never tried it .
REgards Boysie

Yes Boysie, I do have Abranet, it is indeed easier to 'unclog' than solid abrasives, worst case you can wash it out, there was a time when I first acquired it when it became my first choice, like most new toys though it gradually found it's place amidst the other types.

Another little Pot out of Beech, 85 mm dia, Pau Rosa Lid.
DSCN2679.JPG
DSCN2680.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN2679.JPG
    DSCN2679.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 710
  • DSCN2680.JPG
    DSCN2680.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 710
The closeup shows the bead around the opening brilliantly - and made me drool..........

An idea i'm going to log if you don't mind Chas !.

Lovely piece,

loz":2nupn65k said:
The closeup shows the bead around the opening brilliantly - and made me drool..........

An idea i'm going to log if you don't mind Chas !.

Lovely piece,

By all means Loz, if you find any other easy ways of locating/accommodating a vessel/lid join let me know.
Have wasted an awful lot of time in the past trying to be clever producing the perfect join only to find out a few days down the line, if not a few hours, that the wood has decided to do otherwise and completely ruin the piece. I now try and do something that is not so critical.

Even Chris Eagles was heard to say at the recent Peter Sefton demo that although little boxes sound good with a popping lid they are a real pain for anyone just trying to lift the lid to drop a trinket in.

Back