Simply enjoying myself.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PowerTool":3n7ya68p said:
.....Is the inside of the birch natural colouring? Seems a lot darker than the outside (nice contrast)

Stained Andrew, to be honest it was destined for the firewood sack as the inner figuring looked too bland and un inspiring, so I experimented with staining my fingers and decided the result might be to someones taste, it certainly shows up the grain (and any surface scratches you didn't know you had left :roll: )

Paul.J":h7wbl6f4 said:
What's local hedgerow Elm

The farming neighbor across the road has been re-fencing all his land and clearing the access drives, I have the first pick of any of the trees etc. that are destined for the firewood pile as payment for work done*.
A couple of 10"+ diameter Elms that had succumbed to DED & several other smaller 6" saplings not yet affected were too good not to be given a lift in the boot of the car.

* been making Frost and Vandal resistent lockable housings for field water standpipes.

_________ ___ ___

______________Beech( 187mm)_________________Beech (115mm)_________________Yew (147mm)

__________Sealer and friction polish on all three.

CHJ":2pqj9s3j said:
Just basics again

..but still all nice,useable pieces - I've always had a very strong affinity for functional items,rather than arty ones,so personally speaking,keep them coming :D

Andrew

_________

_______________Ivy ( 106mm)

__________Hardly any movement 2mm max. Beautiful to turn takes and holds detail well.
__________White radial rays from core that looked like potential splits are still sound.
__________Very light weight. Pure white before finish application.

You seem to have a better class of Ivy up your way Chas.Mine turned like straw and was a waste of time.

Very much like holly to look at isn't it. Would make a good contrasting wood with a darker one.

No point in commenting on design and quality, usual excellence :eek:

Pete

Bodrighy":3djzskvd said:
....Very much like holly to look at isn't it. Would make a good contrasting wood with a darker one.

Yes it does look like white Holly or Hazel, just taken another look at it and it is actually whiter than the picture shows, I am seriously thinking of preparing some as small spindles for pens, knobs, miniatures etc. Turns a lot softer than Hazel or Holly but still firm.

Spent most of the morning and just returning for a couple more hours this afternoon on weed suppression duties up the farm, one of the main obstacles besides the head high nettles that infested the dung/slurry heaps is the amount of timber that has been dumped by the trailer load in an old quarry during the last few years, can't wait for my neighbor to try out his new chainsaw :lol:

Bodrighy":117fmvp4 said:
Timber dumped ...
Firewood awaiting a Toit Pete, :roll: looks like it might happen if I can get a new door made for his shed/wood store and get that organised with some form of binning, should be room for about 6 cu mtr at least of woodburner billets up the one end for starters.

_________ ___

______________Sycamore______________(153-110mm)

Paul.J":2qbzvap1 said:
How you getting on with the corer Chas.Have you had much success with it lately :?:
Not used the corer recently Paul, been too busy making doors etc. most turning output has had to be limited to orders with no time to spend experimenting.

Latest posts

Back