Newbie - what tool for this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve Maskery":4xnoffwz said:
Martin
Send me £100 and I'll send you a wedge. As will just about every other member of this forum :)
This is a serious question. Do you just want a wedge, or do you want to learn to make a wedge? They are two very different scenarios.
To learn and have the tools for it. I'm sure I'll do little things in future.

OK, good. But if you are starting absolutely from scratch you might need a bigger budget. But let us see what we can do.

1. You need some means of holding the workpiece. Most of us start off with our dad's bench or a Workmate (89.95 for the real thing, down to 19.99 for an entry level Screwfix jobbie).

2. For this sort of cut the wood needs to be held flat, so a couple of trigger clamps. The £5 ones from Aldi would do.

3. Then you draw your line and saw to it. The cheap hardpoint ones are very good. Say £8

4 Finally you need to smooth the sawn edge. This is probably the most challenging, as it requires a plane. Planes can be had for a few quid from a car boot or ebay, or can cost hundreds. You don't need to spend hundreds.
But the problem with buying second-hand is that you don't know whether or not it is in fine fettle, and a plane that isn't will frustrate you until you learn how to set it up. Have a look on here and see if anyone is selling. Don't forget that you will need some kind of sharpening stone and learn how to use it.

It is easy for those of us who are long in the woodworking tooth to forget how challenging a fairly simple task is to someone who is at a standing start. My main advice would be to buy the best you can afford. I don't mean you have to buy Veritas, but in the example above I would buy the 89.99 Workmate over the 19.99 Screwfix.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Right. I've had a rummage around.

I have a couple of planes I never use. One is a No 5, not very nice handles but a good blade, the other a No.4, nicer handles, but scruffier body and with a badly pitted iron. Too badly pitted to be sharpened, actually. But swap over the irons and...Tadaaah!

plane04.jpg

The sole is pitted, which is a shame, but that doesn't affect its performance. Those shavings came of that piece of wood with that plane. It is sharpened and set ready to use. I've also found a combi stone I don't use.

PM me your address and they are yours. You now have no excuse for not getting the better-quality Workmate! Welcome to the satisfying world of woodwork.

Attachments

• plane04.jpg
    plane04.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 83
great reply and nice offer there Steve. As you say, people have to start somewhere. Of course, then there is the shed, more machines and loads of hand tools to come. :D (only joking,do what your comfortable with and ask on here if you are unsure) All the best with it.

The most difficult task with a wedge-shaped thing like this, tapering to near-zero, is holding it securely whilst you work on it, particularly without access to a bench. I suggest screwing a batten to the underside and clamping the batten in a Workmate, being very careful of the screw length such that they don't wreck the plane.

Clamp the thick end and put a thin batten under the sharp end resting on the vice/workmate jaws.

Pete

Steve Maskery":2dithhwm said:

I have a couple of planes I never use. One is a No 5, not very nice handles but a good blade, the other a No.4, nicer handles, but scruffier body and with a badly pitted iron. Too badly pitted to be sharpened, actually. But swap over the irons and...Tadaaah!

The sole is pitted, which is a shame, but that doesn't affect its performance. Those shavings came of that piece of wood with that plane. It is sharpened and set ready to use. I've also found a combi stone I don't use.

PM me your address and they are yours. You now have no excuse for not getting the better-quality Workmate! Welcome to the satisfying world of woodwork.

What a Gentleman.

Martin I'd suggest you bite Steve's hand off to the wrist. Not only is it a very generous offer but far more importantly it gives you access to a well set up and sharp plane as you get started. It's a great gift because it can save you hours of frustration trying to get good results with a badly set up plane. Then giving up and doing summat easier. You will have issues of course, but it's a massive headstart.

Sharpening and importantly honing is something you will have to do far more of than you probably realise now but don't get bogged down by it. There's endless debates. Don't fall down the rabbit hole. Pick a method and stick to it. I'd suggest Steve's stone. :wink:

Steve Maskery":2h6jf6qc said:

Thanks a lot. Have PM'd for payment.

Agree 100%, Steve that's a very gentlemanly offer. And Martinjoop, isn't it great that in this oft-called "selfish" day n age, you make an innocent post on a Forum like this and end up with an offer like that?

Back