Newbie - what tool for this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martinjoop

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a rectangle piece of pine wood, measuring:
L250mm x W 46mm x T20mm
And I'd like to form it into a wedge shape.

I have attached an image of it. The red line denotes the cut below.

Could someone tell me how I can achieve a relatively accurate cut - what tool(s) would I need?
I already have:
- Basic cheap bench from b&q
- Variety of sand paper
- Jigaw, drill, sheet sander, angle grinder,
- Plastic block rasp
- Cork sanding block

My budget: £100.

Thanks.

Attachments

• how to.fw.png
    how to.fw.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 337
Hand plane. If that is the actual piece you want to plane you'd probably be best making a temporary insert for the missing part of the rectangle, to protect the cross-grain element during the planing process.

+1 for a hand plane. Or you could saw it if you're feeling brave, then clean it up with a plane. Quicker but more difficult.

MikeG.":1fsb26u6 said:
Hand plane. If that is the actual piece you want to plane you'd probably be best making a temporary insert for the missing part of the rectangle, to protect the cross-grain element during the planing process.
Thanks.

1 How does a plane make an angle?
2 What plane would I use?
3 Do I need a particular work bench or clamp?

Thanks.

El Barto":zn5lods4 said:
+1 for a hand plane. Or you could saw it if you're feeling brave, then clean it up with a plane. Quicker but more difficult.

Thanks. what type of saw and what size?

galleywood":24nvt7ft said:
Router and appropriate sled.
This is a one-off object. I don't do wood work, so just looking to use cheapest tools/method. I don't mind spending more time on it myself.

Thanks.

martinjoop":1p8escsv said:

1/You simply plane more at the places where you need to remove more wood. Here, I would start by planing across the grain, I think.

2/ A bench plane/ jack plane........number 4, 4-1/2, 5, or 51/2 anything bigger or smaller than that wouldn't really be suitable

3/ No. You could screw it in place (into the underside) onto any solid stable surface.

Having said all that, your questions suggest that this might be a bit of a test for you. You might give your approximate location and see if there is a forum member nearby who could do it for you. It's a 10 minute job.

martinjoop":3n7phibz said:
El Barto":3n7phibz said:

If you haven't a bench and a vice, you won't be able to saw this.

MikeG.":1wjdvcac said:
martinjoop":1wjdvcac said:

1/You simply plane more at the places where you need to remove more wood. Here, I would start by planing across the grain, I think.

2/ A bench plane/ jack plane........number 4, 4-1/2, 5, or 51/2 anything bigger or smaller than that wouldn't really be suitable

3/ No. You could screw it in place (into the underside) onto any solid stable surface.

Having said all that, your questions suggest that this might be a bit of a test for you. You might give your approximate location and see if there is a forum member nearby who could do it for you. It's a 10 minute job.

Did you suggest a plane at size 4 (64–76 mm) because that is over the width of the 46mm timber? Suggesting I would:
- Go down the length of the wood
- but initially I would go across the grain (horizontally) on the edge furthest away from the cut line?

Thanks.

martinjoop":3icg1po5 said:
galleywood":3icg1po5 said:
Router and appropriate sled.
This is a one-off object. I don't do wood work, so just looking to use cheapest tools/method. I don't mind spending more time on it myself.

Thanks.
Cheapest option is probably to pay somebody to make it for you if it isn't available off the shelf.

By the time you buy a piece of wood, oversized because you can't get exactly what you want. A saw to cut it to size, a cheap plane, something to sharpen it with, some sandpaper to sand the item with, something to finish the wood with etc you will be out of pocket.

MikeG.":9un87bm5 said:
martinjoop":9un87bm5 said:
El Barto":9un87bm5 said:

If you haven't a bench and a vice, you won't be able to saw this.

Very true. Unless you have access to a bandsaw :twisted:

OP - if you find yourself in the Andover (Hampshire) area I'd be happy to do this for you.

I hate to discourage people, but you'll need a bench and probably a couple of hundred quids worth of tools before you start. I don't know what the intended use is but if it's made out of one piece it will probably break across the rear corner.

If it’s just the one in pine, send me your address and i’ll Knock one up tonight and put it in the post tomorrow.

The hook at the back will be pretty weak as it’s side grain, is it just ornamental?

according to his profile, Martinjoop is in Ryde. Having just fixed my bench sander, I would pop it on there. Done in a couple of minutes. intrigued by what the item is though. Door wedge?

bourbon":vraj759b said:
according to his profile, Martinjoop is in Ryde. Having just fixed my bench sander, I would pop it on there. Done in a couple of minutes. intrigued by what the item is though. Door wedge?

If you google mac keyboard and touchpad holder, you'll find a similar one.

phil.p":1t555xf2 said:
I hate to discourage people, but you'll need a bench and probably a couple of hundred quids worth of tools before you start. I don't know what the intended use is but if it's made out of one piece it will probably break across the rear corner.
Thanks. I should have outlined in my first post. I have:
- Basic cheap bench from b&q
- Variety of sand paper
- Jigaw, drill, sheet sander, angle grinder,
- Plastic block rasp
- Cork sanding block

My budget: £100.

Thanks.

Martin
Send me £100 and I'll send you a wedge. As will just about every other member of this forum :)
This is a serious question. Do you just want a wedge, or do you want to learn to make a wedge? They are two very different scenarios.

Back