Warping in live edge slab help please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luxcarp

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have purchased a live edge walnut slab 52inch by 22inch, 2inch thick, it has been chemically dried, it was a little warped so I made a router planer jig which worked out perfect the slab is level/straight both sides, my concern is the man in the wood warehouse told me its dried to around 7per cent so if I want to make a coffee table out of it then i would need to cut down the middle of the slab, (along the grain) and joint it back together otherwise it will warp?
Is this correct? I am a little confused as I have seen other live edge slab coffee tables that have not been jointed.

The advice you've been given makes no sense at all. The only possible explanation I can think of is if the pith (the very centre of the tree) runs through your slab?

Assuming there's no pith then store the slab in your house for the next two weeks, if it warps then flatten it again, if it doesn't then build your table. In any event there's no need to be too obsessive, a coffee table doesn't require engineering levels of flatness.

he means at 7% on a bit slab u will need to put a preasssure release groove in the back
lines to the center to alow it to move and not warp, just a ridge down the middle,

Back