Elm slabs valuation £?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’d say that’s a fair price to slightly high and there’s way more usable material in them as a percentage than nigenry has.

Does anyone remember planks of wood, have they gone out of fashion and people only want slabs?
I'd be interested in your thinking. That's c. 6cuft of timber, excluding the offcuts for £160, which is £26/cuft. Online prices seem to be in the £50+/cuft. So thought I had a bargin. Now worried I'm overpaying as my reference points are incorrect

I'd be interested in your thinking. That's c. 6cuft of timber, excluding the offcuts for £160, which is £26/cuft. Online prices seem to be in the £50+/cuft. So thought I had a bargin. Now worried I'm overpaying as my reference points are incorrect
I think you had a bargain. If anyone gets their timber at lower prices (especially in plank form), then please share where.

I suspect that the quality of each individual piece drives the price with things like this. You could do some sums and say I could get 'x' woodturning blanks from this, or whatever and they do have recognisable prices, or do some £ cu/ft sums but for a slab it's not a commodity but what the buyer will pay.

About 3 years ago I was in British hardwoods for some other stuff and they had some Yew slabs standing up by a wall. One, live edge both sides and about 50x14 inches, 1.5 ish thick had such wonderful grain and colouring I wanted it, almost instant coffee table. I think I paid about £50, but would have been happy to pay a bit more. Unlike the ones next to it, they were good but not special. My unplanned purchase spent almost a year hung on the wall in the hallway, partly to stabilise but mainly because it looked so good. Your Elm might be similar.

We stayed in a holiday cottage, designer-y converted black house, on Lewis pre covid. Upmarket by our standards. All the furniture there, dining table, side tables, kitchen worksurfaces, were from odd shaped slabs and looked brilliant. Maybe float it at a silly-high price and hope a trendy interior designer from Kensington swoons over it: you are not in a rush so you can always lower the price later.

Many years ago, I would regularly buy timber from a yard in Norfolk. The building where the timber was converted, - an old aircraft hanger -was entirely clad in what Adam.W would rightly class as slabs. It was a site to behold

We used to have a wood yard close to us with a lot of recycled items as well. It is now a gated estate full of "gin palaces".

I paid £160 for these two (£80 each) a few months back on gumtree. 165" x 2" x 16-18". They had one edge already ripped off unfortunately. It was a good price but they had languished on gumtree for a good week before I bought them.
116770-77B09FFC-CEB3-491E-88CC-66422CC76EF5.jpeg
That’s cheaper than I pay for timber. I’ve recently paid about double that but for quarter sawn boards with one wany edge. So less wastage but not 50%.

Commercially, I would be assessing it thus. If I were to make chairs from it and IF all components were to be all made from the planks, then I could make no more than 4 chairs. If I then evaluate my labour and my overheads, I think anyone can easily see that, actually, this timber is worth nothing. That's the crazy state this country, its infrastructure and its industry is in. It's only worth something to hobbyists but most of it is firewood.
be nice to get your materials for nout

Back