American Black Walnut Smokers Bow.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merlin

Established Member
Reaction score
Firstly I would like to thank Sheffield Tony for inspiring me to make this chair in the first place, I was asked to make a chair and after reading his post it made my mind up for me.
American Black Walnut was the colour that I wanted so I selected some sizes that suited, I had to join the seat as nothing was wide enough but the legs etc. were all ok.
I decided to machine and construct a trial chair first out of off cuts as the timber was quite expensive and I didn't want any mistakes plus I wanted to put in a few different features of my own.
Jack Hills design was the starting point and very useful but I soon realised as Tony did that some of the angles were a bit out.
I made up a seat out of joined 9x1 par and had my first attempt at hollowing the seat using a gouge, this proved hard work so I bought a Veritas Pull shave and a Windsor chairs Travisher, they were both fantastic tools to use and gave great results.
I joined the Walnut seat and hollowed it out using the new tools and it was much easier, I finished it off with a Random orbital sander being careful not to loose the sharp edges.
IMG_3864.JPG
IMG_3866.JPG

Next was cutting and finishing the arm bow, I dowelled the 2 halves together as I found it easier to drill the spindle holes without the back scroll fitted
IMG_3871.JPG
IMG_3879.JPG
IMG_3898.JPG

With the holes drilled (using a pillar drill and hinged table) I fitted the back scroll and rounded off the edges etc.
Then for something I haven't attempted before.... carving. I followed the Chris Pye book and once it was marked out and a trial piece completed I didn't find it too difficult but I must get some proper carving chisels.
IMG_3897.JPG
IMG_3906.JPG

The turning was all straight forward once I had decided on the actual shapes.
Then to drill the seat, straight forward again but because I had made a trial chair it showed me that the angles in the book were a bit out so easily remedied.
The Portcullis was a bit more difficult but as it was not fixed to much, the wood part was ok but welding the chain and the rings was a bit more of a challenge. Once the main parts were completed it had to be fixed together and mounted to the back.
IMG_3912.JPG

At last it was a case of putting it all together and finishing, the finish was Satin Osmo Polyx oil and I was pleased with the end result.
I sanded the chair down with 600 wet and dry before the first coat, the tin recommends to not go that fine but I didn't like the scratches with the 240/320.
After a day I again went with the 600 and gave it a tickle with some wire wool and then the top coat. After some advice and research from the other thread I decided 2 coats were enough particularly as it was a present for the next day!
IMG_3947.JPG
IMG_3948.JPG

Merlin

Attachments

• IMG_3864.JPG
    IMG_3864.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 1,852
  • IMG_3866.JPG
    IMG_3866.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 1,852
  • IMG_3871.JPG
    IMG_3871.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 1,852
  • IMG_3879.JPG
    IMG_3879.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 1,852
  • IMG_3898.JPG
    IMG_3898.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 1,852
  • IMG_3906.JPG
    IMG_3906.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 1,852
  • IMG_3897.JPG
    IMG_3897.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 1,852
  • IMG_3912.JPG
    IMG_3912.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 1,852
  • IMG_3947.JPG
    IMG_3947.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 1,852
  • IMG_3948.JPG
    IMG_3948.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 1,852
Excellent. Thanks for posting the pictures. The carving looks good to me; the only letter carving I've done was a clock, and I chose Roman numerals to avoid the curved bits :oops:

What will you do with the spare chair now ? Workshop chair ?

Another project on these boards that fills me with skill envy! Well done that looks amazing!!

Thanks for showing us a bit more - it's a really impressive piece of work.

One feature I really like is the way the ends of the arms mirror each other for grain pattern. In retrospect I can see that happens automatically if you cut them as a mirror pair from one wide board. Did you know that in advance? Is it a thing that chair makers know?

Thanks Gents, the softwood model is going to be the workshop chair for those "ponder moments" and poor old Mr Trump isn't getting a look in.

The arms will all depending on grain mirror each other, it is a matter of getting as much out of the plank as possible and it looking nice.

I haven't really made a chair before as it has always looked like the dark art but doing it the "bite size chunk" route I think most things are possible, at the end of the day all this wood working thing is -
is cutting wood but in a different way.

Merlin

Thanks very much gents.

I hadn't done much of this kind of thing before so it just goes to show - bite size chunks and most things can be done.

Its all only cutting wood but in a different way.

Merlin

Back