One Small Step for....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another piece a little older than the turner:
__ ___click on image for larger view
____Ancient Kauri (230mm dia.)

First coat of oil still drying stage:

Something a little bigger, finished in Melamine wipe on lacquer:

__ ___ click on images for larger view

______Padauk (300mm)_____________Padauk (305mm)

One Year On and still spending time in the shed:

_________ ___click on image for larger view

____Chakte Vega & Walnut (150mm High)

Walnut base not original intention, added to design after realization that the Chakte Vega was very poor in endgrain strength on the slim foot, a 3mm deep piece (slice) fractured at the slightest touch whilst stationary when checking dimensions for base so reluctantly compromised with a Walnut base to give more strength rather than a chunkier base.

Happy anniversary =D>

And here's to many more turnings :eek:ccasion5:

But with your workrate,I've often wondered where you keep them all,or what you do with them?
And thanks for all your pictures - they keep my enthusiasm for woodturning alive,and give me a standard to strive for :)

Andrew

PowerTool":1y1rjp6c said:
Happy anniversary =D>
And here's to many more turnings :eek:ccasion5:
But with your workrate,I've often wondered where you keep them all,or what you do with them?

Fortunately we have been able to distribute a fare percentage around, some have gone back to donors of the wood, others to friends as gifts (at least they were friends at the time), some have been bought by others as gifts for Xmas, birthdays and everyday use etc. and of course there is no place in this household for glass or china where wood can substitute.

PowerTool":1y1rjp6c said:
And thanks for all your pictures - they keep my enthusiasm for woodturning alive,and give me a standard to strive for :)
Andrew

Thanks Andrew, at least I have not managed to bore you then with my output. As for the standard; how I use tools, and which I use would probably make a professional turner shudder but by keeping the forms simple and concentrating on a good finish albeit a quickly applied one manage to make them presentable.

I have been so disappointed at (and criticized) the lack of finishing on items I have seen for sale in craft shops and on 'displays' that I cannot walk out of the shed with something that I would not like a turner to turn upside-down.

Thought I had better have a break from producing blanks and convert some to end product:

_____Exeter Elm (195mm)_________Exeter Elm Burr (105mm) (Ulmus glabra 'Fastigiata')

So easy to get carried away, :oops: New Bandsaw, New Blades*, New Chip Collector, Circle Cutting Jig, Heated Wax Tray, Loads of Logs, a fare few Slabs of various English and Exotics; result, bin bags full of offcuts and LOML asking:

' Where the BLANK do you want to store these' :!: :roll:

(Sample Only :shock: )

(*Trucut, prompt service, no sign of join click on 6mm blade just audible on 19mm, hot knife and butter on both.)

Still pondering how I am going to tackle this little piece.

WET Cherry, 330 mm dia with branch knots all round simulating Monkey Puzzle.

I guess I need to put aside a full day for that one as no doubt it's going to move around somewhat if left for a tea break.

Neomorph":22m9ofqu said:
Chas are you sure the wood + loadsawine is a good thing? :wink:

Mind you it would be excellent for some off-centre turnings... :lol:

Wine? what wine?....thats just bad weather ballast from Xmas trip to Bavaria :wink:

Well, got to find something to do on a rainy afternoon:

______Sycamore (290mm)__________Spalted Ash (140mm)

Well, got some of the gardening and refurbishment chores done so managed an hour in the shed:

__ ___ click on image for larger view

______Exeter Elm (230mm)

Jack Frost aided by a Family of Badgers who delight in climbing the wall rather than use the steps managed to remove nine out of ten of the coping stones on the above wall during the last few months, finally found a tuit between the storms today to put all twelve metre run of them back.

luv that spalted ash bowl 8)

(I will get around to replying to your last mail Chas :roll: )

oldsoke":3g79ayva said:
luv that spalted ash bowl 8)
...snip..

It's a bit busy, but most unusual colouring, have several other pieces in sealed blank format awaiting with baited breath as to wether they are going to split more than an artistic filler width. If worst comes to worst I can see me having to salvage them in sections as lids or something.
One piece which appeared quite dry started to split on the lathe whilst I stopped for a coffee, dunked it back in the wax and it's sitting under the bench again until it learns to behave, did show it the incinerator bin outside the shed to teach it a lesson but I suspect it is too stubborn to take much notice.

Any brave soul want to take a guess as to the gender of the donor tree....?

cling film for coffee break in future?

Not very elegant but I could not think how else to show off the heart wood:

__ ___ click on image for larger view

______Spalted Ash (135mm)

Another sunny afternoon in the shed:

______Exeter Elm (225mm)__________Exeter Elm (210mm)

Hi CHJ,

I hope you dont mind but I thought that as you have shown me yours.....

Duiker-clock3.jpg

Spalted beach sorround to a skeleton clock movement. Finished in friction polish and shed loads of sanding sealer :lol:

I wanted to show you my "utility mushroom" too. Two bowls for the price of one? It is turned from an elm burr and finished in wax. See the next picture for the full effect.

Duiker-BOWL1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back