One haned user workbench...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manxnorton

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
over the years all my workbenches were bought or old desks etc.
So thought my first ever workbench with my old hand (pardon the pun only got one arm working lol)
a rough sketch and off to B&Q...a great bloke help me, and even loaded the wood into my car.
So far £34..but needed better screws nother £12.
all adds up.
so I use plenty of clamps overwise it'll be hard..
hjrtsCI.jpg

not bad with a saw...could be better mind.
4tofCKg.jpg

onto smooth things.
imAnelq.jpg

a quick moch up.
j4s6y1q.jpg

looking at it now theres is plenty of ways this could of come together...but hope its ok.
5C5yW8R.jpg

nuff to today...rush off my feet lol.
so tomorrow will be strengthen the top and side skirks
wI7Y8kF.jpg

TBC
As always, i'm re-learning basic skills etc that my memory was lost.
Be great if any suggestions for another bench, of what you would change etc.
open to anything, but please could you put a picture of what your suggesting otherwise I may get confuse (I have now got 'Learning difficulty's' due to illness.
thanks so much for viewing.
Bri

Full credit to you Brian. You are the living proof that you can't keep a good man down.

=D>

Are these the same ones which are in Lidl from time to time, I'm not mad about those but might do for a quick affix, I use them for my worklight sometimes
Are they better quality?

Here's another type which I've seen, but don't know if they are any good,
I think I've only seen them in this bandsaw video, and the Axminster site.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bUoHHdLex0

The Axi version...
https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-t ... p-ax945902
I presume you can get these way cheaper
Tom

Brian

Unconventional, but I suggest you stiffen your bench with plywood sides and back, screwed or nailed on. 12 mm will be fine, you can get it cut accurately to size in e.g. B&Q, it will be stiffer than a jointed stretcher/frame and you can put shelves or drawers inside later on if you want.

You could also screw it to the wall, but there are times when it will be handy to pull it out to get at both sides.

Good luck
Keith

Ttrees":uxlpavvz said:
Are these the same ones which are in Lidl from time to time, I'm not mad about those but might do for a quick affix, I use them for my worklight sometimes
Are they better quality?

Here's another type which I've seen, but don't know if they are any good,
I think I've only seen them in this bandsaw video, and the Axminster site.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bUoHHdLex0

The Axi version...
https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-t ... p-ax945902
I presume you can get these way cheaper
Tom

The first ratchets mentioned by Mike are great for single handed use. Lightweight and strong enough for a lot of jobs. There are better and worse versions of them. Worthwhile buying from a reputable source to get good ones. Back in the day I got a discount for buying 10 at a time and split them with a mate. Honestly, it would have been worth keeping all 10. Very fast to use, cheap and great for glue ups as well as clamping stuff down to the edge of the bench or workmate.
The clamps you link to Tom - Bessy / Axminster/Festool - are much stronger and top quality but for me turned out to be poor for single hand use. The sliding jaw slides loosely along the shaft until actually clamped and the handle sticks out so far the "spread" is too big for my average sized hands. I have them for the saw track but they're surprisingly awkward to use. They're also much more expensive.

Thinking about what would be most usable one handed, I wonder if dog holes in the bench and a pair of old fashioned forged hold downs wouldn't be good. Drop them in the holes, line up, a tap with a hammer to lock, another tap on the back to release ...
A pack of round ally bench dogs to make moveable stops to the back and side of the workpiece would be handy too.

+1 for bench holdfasts. You can get them in either 20 or 25 mm though 20 mm can also take 3/4" accessories. It hadn't occurred to me before but they are perfect one-handed tools. Drop them into the hole and line them up on the work (with a piece of wood to prevent marking). Let go, pick up a mallet and whack them. I use them on almost every job. You just need a worktop between 2" and 4" thick and a couple of lines of 20 mm holes. They will also take the Veritas or other dogs. Look up the notch trick for holding a flat board against a dog, too.

Holding and clamping stuff will be very important for you as they will replace the missing hand!

Keith

Wow!
Thx so much for the emazing help!
Haven’t played today...lol a all grain beer brewday for my pal...
But looking at streghing the table I can’t afford such as plywood etc just atm..but thinking the off cuts to make a skirt of such...if you know what I mean..
And also screw the bench once done varnish etc to the wall.
Loads of food for thought for the clamp situation!!!
In an ideal world n money to spend!! Would love to do a table top glued and planed!!!
But I never say never!!! If I can improvise I can do anything we clamps etc...
Mind thinking of the door I mentioned to cut to length maybe a PITA...
Watch this space...
Any suggestions on varnish/coating??? Only got a small bit of linseed oil
Thx
Bri :lol:

more playing today....
pZdC4YR.jpg

looks bit scruffy, some of the holders are silicone tubing to protect from the screws.
LsNXzq6.jpg

Rcz58O6.jpg

oHAlWTd.jpg

think i'm going dismantled the door and get the paint off and see how the wood is.....then take it from there..
TBC
Bri

here we go with the door...
A PITA to carry it and get it perched lol.
but shere ball! n a few sware words.
DfQHnk7.jpg

nearly done...tongue and groove I think :?:
v9Gywrn.jpg

these for later..
6Y7MdGW.jpg

clamps are my best friend :lol:
KLaLcum.jpg

years n years of paint, but itll be worth it.
Lx6AaCP.jpg

got this plane years ago, when I first joined this forum...maybe itll be use :?:
all day...on my foot(feet!! lol) so now I can feel a relax coming..
really enjoying this.
Thx for viewing.
Bri

Thanks for posting Bri. A G R E A T motivator to those who "have a bit of a medical problem" to see how someone who has a REAL problems manages to carry on and achieve results undaunted. A lesson to us all Sir. =D> =D> =D>

Edit for a P.S. Sounds like you have budget restrictions (haven't we all ? ;-) ), but here's a link to a range of one-handed clamps by the German company Wolf:

http://www.wolfcraft.com/en/products/p/ ... index.html

They do a range of sizes, and different "strengths" (i.e. clamping power). I find them excellent but they're not cheap! Also I don't know if they're available in UK or not, but in the link above (which describes the various one-handed clamps they do) there's also a separate header section where you can look up local to you dealers from which you can no doubt get prices.

HTH, good luck.

Thanks so much for the warming reply, really apreciate it.
I have a racchet type clamps but up at Scotland atm..there I call the medium size ones..think if I’m ever going to do a glue up laminated work bench I would need higher ones and at least 2-4...plus more lol..can never get nuff clamps..
The view look cluttered but thinking the table top would need over hanging as there sharp chisels don’t want to have an accident..
Tbh I’m chuffed..rough n ready but can only get more skills and knowledge..
Pure theropy
Thx again
Bri

Got a great PM earlier on.
About problems with people might not understand me!
So, I’m going to shorten the sentences, and not put slang! Etc lol.
Hope this helps, it’s hard for me but the best therapy is actually doing it!
Hope you all understand.
Bri

15/09/18
well I got really frustrated with the wood I bought from B&Q.
the bloke isn't a service to cut my wood to length!!!
So I had to do with whats on offer (BTW the wood is for another project)
The make things more frustrating the wood is warped, so with only a small hand plane, I got a bit p off tbh.
I decided supports be a good thing.
1f5uHlA.jpg

Notive the first plank? no power sander...so stopped that idea.
aeYwXFj.jpg

cluttered but it ok so far.
wblchlg.jpg

had to get this power planer..my good arm was aching.
but it takes practice lol.
YpStJw4.jpg

And when I went to my lock up I found more tools I forgot about lol
this be handy...
JnLgQmu.jpg

Anyways,
a question for yous please
which company can provide the wood planed and jointed, so I don't have to mess on, and cut the wood to lengths :idea: ?
I live at Newcastle.
thank you
Bri

phil.p":3qwz5u8g said:
Having one arm, you'd find a hot melt glue gun especially useful - a dot here and there keeps stuff in place and/or level while you cramp or drill it. You'd be surprised what you end up using one for.

=D> :idea: hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!
I have one..get in!! never thought about it!
thanks a million, really appreciate that.
could of done with glue gun earlier on, putting this up.
gM5KXA3.jpg

thank you Bri

Brian, you're an inspiration mate; keep on chuggin'! Respect. Oh, an' mix in the slang. The purists can go shove it; us that likes a bit of variety appreciate it. Here's one from Belfast: " chap yer bap" ...a haircut....

One handed? don't forget two feet.
Theres a long tradition of foot operated clamping devices.
Shave Horse and Saddlers Clam spring to mind but there must be lots of other possibilities.
Think of treadle lathe - instead of turning it could pull down a counter-weighted beam or something.

Back