New work bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasman

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been planning a proper bench for 5 years... mine is so awful and warped, twisted etc etc. This spring we are good to go.
My sketchup plan at the moment looks a bit like a cross between a roubo and shaker type bench with a well - but doubtless it will evolve. My inlaws have very kindly offered me quite a lot of money - £200 for the wood as it is my 50th birthday this week. I will probably get it from Eynsham sawmills near me as that's where I get all my wood and they do me right as it were. So what material? I know they have oak, beech, ash, chestnut and lots of other hardwoods. I have never bought softwoods from them but I know they have cedar.... there may be others but I do not think any Douglas fir or similar. What do you think? Grateful for opinions
Cheers Mark

check out good woodworking issue 254 there is a decent workbench by brian barber made with beech, as only live a few miles in kidlington your welcome to borrow my copy. also some info on eynsham sawmills

Gasman

I too intend to build a new bench this year, mine will be a cheap thing using 4x2 CLS with a MDF or ply top, however I too recommend watching the Paul Sellers videos they are very informative, and everyone I have spoke to also recommend the book Carlb40 has mentioned.

By the way Happy 50th Birthday, have a good one.

BH

Great book there that Carl mentioned. The Authors first 3 rules about building a workbench are as follows.
Rule 1, Always overbuild your workbench.
Rule 2, Always overbuild your workbench
Rule 3, You must remain married as you overbuild your workbench.
Use £15 of the money to but the book, and it will repay itself I'm sure. Best of luck

There is also "The Workbench Book" by Scott Landis
ISBN 1-56158-270-0

Loads of different benches for different uses and if you're designing your own, the chance to mix and match.

If you have 50 woodworkers in a room and asked them , what was the best or most perfect bench you would most likely get 50 different answers or if not , then 60 different answers. lol. What I would say is have a good long look on Google for " woodworking Bench" at the image pages, buy a few books on the subject from e-bay or Amazon. Then have a good think about what type of work you do on your bench and then decide what bench suits that the best for you. Don't just go with the trendy new bench that "everybody must have" just because some knob on youtube and in the magazines says so. Take you time, a good hardwood bench lasts more than a lifetime if treated right.
Beech, Oak or Maple would be my choice of wood.

Lots of timbers are suitable, but I wouldn't use oak. Most ww tools are made of iron and steel, and left on an oak surface, even overnight, can tarnish the metal and stain the wood.
The Schwarz and Landis books are essential reading before you buy any wood at all. I have the Landis book and built the Fortune-Nelson bench. Excellent, except that I rather stupidly bought air-dried beech which is now worm-ridden.
I'd like maple for my next (and, hopefully, last) bench, but whereas it is a vernacular timber in North America, it is pricey over here.
I intend to memorise the Schwarz books before I set to...
S

Steve could you not use Sycamore instead of maple, very similar properties but indigenous to the UK and therefore cheaper.

~Nil carborundum illegitemi~

Don't forget the most common traditional bench, which for some reason gets no mention in the modern books. There's a strong tendency to mystify these things, with over elaborate benches to little advantage. Altars for wood sacrifices?

bench1.jpg

nb the thing marked 'n' at the back is a saw handle. He recommends a saw rack behind the bench to keep saws safe but accessible.

deserter":k6u1se8p said:
Steve could you not use Sycamore instead of maple, very similar properties but indigenous to the UK and therefore cheaper.

Hi deserter
It may belong to the Acer family, butt sycamore is nowhere near as hard as maple. I think I'd prefer something that can take a bit of bashing.

Many thanks to all of you for replies - sorry I was away for 10 days
Since posting this, I have bought the Schwartz book and am starting to drill down on the detailed plans.
One sticking point is the timber. Eynsham Sawmills has the following timbers and I wondered if anyone had any comments about them. I get the feeling from Schwartz's book it doesn't really matter what you choose within reason as long as you accept the limitations of each timber:
Oak - lots of it including great big 3 inch slabs but I am ruling this out due to the tannin / reactivity with iron
Chestnut - only £30 a cube and there's lots of it - also has tannin content tho' I believe but I am quite tempted by this
Yew - more expensive (£55/cube) but lots of it - good straight grained - would be a very orange workshop
Beech - £40 a cube I think but only in 1" thickness
Cedar of lebanon - masses of it and its beautiful - really straight, in 1", 2" and 3" thickness and only £25/cube. Soft though but maybe that's a strength too? - or I could put a hardwood top on the bench. I love the smell
Also cherry sycamore and walnut
Comments/advice much appreciated
Thanks Mark

In the book i am sure chris discusses the merits of various timbers, plus gives 2 tables one for strength and one for hardness? If it was me and i was able to afford a hardwood bench. My choice would be maple, ash, or beech.

The one i will be building this year is from materials i have had for 10yrs now. Some unknown hardwood from a merchants, possibly sappele. Plus the top will be recycled floor joists, all at least 60yrs old.

Non of the above. I'd stick to redwood. Perhaps thick beech for the tops if you can get it.
It's only a work bench!

Hi Jacob,

This post has been dead for a while, but I was wondering if you could tell me what book you posted that picture from? I would like to get a copy for myself.

Thanks

Jess

jvandiest":1zyi7cay said:
Hi Jacob,

This post has been dead for a while, but I was wondering if you could tell me what book you posted that picture from? I would like to get a copy for myself.

Thanks

Jess
Joinery & Carpentry. Vol 1 Corkhill Lowsley. New Era Publishing. It's a brilliant set of 6 volumes with a variety of authors. Not sure of the date probably 1900 ish and reprinted many times. They are still around 2nd hand and well worth having. You will find similar benches shown in most of the other woodwork books of the period - when trad woodwork was still a serious industry.
The bench is the basic standard type found everywhere, and still the best. Very practical and easy to make but overshadowed somewhat by the many fashions which sweep through the amateur woodwork fraternity!

The picture is of a "single" bench i.e. has only one "beam" and is only worked on from one side. The common alternative is two beams and worked from both sides with a vice on each, as found in schools and bigger establishments.

bench1.jpg

Here's my 2 beam version. Note the "sliding deadman" alternative attached with a G clamp. The cut out is a knee-hole so I can sit on a box and do the crossword, eat a pie, whatever.

bench.jpg

PS If you just want a practical work bench I'd avoid the books; Schwarz and Landis etc. They are interesting but not practical at all.

PPS I just had a flip through Landis - full of interesting stuff but not a single mention or hint of the most common standard bench as per the above. A glaring omission - no wonder amateur woodworkers are confused about benches!

Latest posts

Back