Myford ML8

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmydoug

Reaction score
Hi , I’m new to this site , I’ve recently acquired a myford ML8 lathe . I’m hopefully going to be turning using the outboard left hand side of the lathe . Would anyone know if there is a maximum size I can turn ? I’m looking to turn discs/ rims of approximately 12 inch diameter.

Thanks, jimmy

The "knuckle" of the tool rest support attached to the round bed limits the size to 10 1/2" - 11" iirc unless you devise a way of mounting the support further down. Of course that leaves you no leeway for non round pieces - to get that diameter finished you'd need to start with a perfect round.

The alternative would be to remove the outboard set up completely, and re-use it if possible on a free standing stand. If you can weld (or learn to weld) you could make one up from box section steel.

K

I find if I use a chunky chuck on the outboard side, the work will be extended beyond the aforementioned knuckle. The down side is that the arm for the tool support can't wrap all the away around to allow you to safely support tools when working on the outer face. You can employ a freestanding tool support, although it would have to be sturdy.
If you're using a faceplate, add a sacrificial block to perform the same function.
Good luck!

Back