Jet 260 Planer Thicknesser Problem - NOW FIXED!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Karl":2nzvvr2i said:
dicktimber":2nzvvr2i said:
Just to let you know nothing from Jet engineers yet.
Will wait till next week and re e mail them.
Have you heard anything?

I haven't heard anything either DT.

Cheers

Karl

I emailed the address that Dick gave me and was bluntly ignored. It seems they are now just ignoring this problem. Probably cheaper to act like it's not happening.

I've been following this post with interest. I noted 'Jetman' offering assistance. Did he get back to you?

I'm in the market for a quality PT and this forum will help me decide weather or not to splash the cash on a Hammer machine rather than a Jet one.

Eoin

eoinsgaff":1miw0yrw said:
I've been following this post with interest. I noted 'Jetman' offering assistance. Did he get back to you?

I'm in the market for a quality PT and this forum will help me decide weather or not to splash the cash on a Hammer machine rather than a Jet one.

Eoin

These Jet machines have lots of good points and on the 12" and above, have the table lock. It is only the 260 /10" that lets the brand down as far as I can see. If i were buying I'd get the 12" or 14" Jet.

Bob

wizer":slh8xqae said:
Karl":slh8xqae said:
dicktimber":slh8xqae said:
Just to let you know nothing from Jet engineers yet.
Will wait till next week and re e mail them.
Have you heard anything?

I haven't heard anything either DT.

Cheers

Karl

I emailed the address that Dick gave me and was bluntly ignored. It seems they are now just ignoring this problem. Probably cheaper to act like it's not happening.

I'm corresponding direct with Brimarc who, in turn, are liaising with the manufacturer.

I'm going to send a follow up e-mail on Monday.

Cheers

Karl

I have just finished machining the prototype locking mechanism for the Jet 260.

IMG_1097.jpg

The allen screw will be replaced with a Bristol lever that is on order due Tuesday. When that comes in I will send it all off to Wizer to give it a test drive on his machine.

Subject to his findings, I may need to do some fine tuning to the design and then I will offer kits to forum members.

Watch this space

Bob

Wizer has now had a chance to evaluate the modification kit that I sent him.

There are a small number of changes that I need to make to dimensions etc but the good news is

IT WORKS!!

Wizer spent over an hour thicknessing boards and the table has stayed locked.

Here is a photo taken by Wizer of the fitted kit.

DSC_0829.JPG

I'm checking with the Mods if I will be allowed to offer the kits on the forum so watch this space once I have had the benefit of their advice.

Bob

Yep I was going to give a full report when we'd finished testing. Today I thicknessed over thirty boards roughly 150mm x 400mm and the table didn't budge. The way that Bob has designed the lock makes it a doddle to lock it when you've set the depth. I want to test it some more before I can give it the WiZeR Seal of Approval ;) But so far so good. With new knives and a little maintenance, the machine and I have made friends again and I'm now feeling pretty positive about it once again. Today's results where flawless! :D

So here's a little write up of how Bob's solution to the Jet 260's thicknesser table problem. As a reminder of the problem. The table would very gradually fall over lengthy periods of use.

To start with I had to remove the hand wheel and, in my case, the digital gauge. If you don't have the digi-gauge then you need to remove the dial.

0001.jpg

0002.jpg

The first part in Bob's kit is a shaft extender. This is only needed if you have a digital height gauge. If not, just skip this step.

0003.jpg

The shaft extender is secured in place by two grub screws. These are ever-so slightly proud of the surface and need light filing to make them flush.

0004.jpg

Some filing of the extender itself maybe required to flush it with the shaft. Not much.

0005.jpg

Then the planer lock is fitted over the shaft and a pin locates on the machine body.

0006.jpg

If you don't have the digital height gauge, all you now need to do is replace the dial and secure, then fit the hand wheel.

0007.jpg

If you have the digital gauge then it needs to be slipped over the shaft and located in a pre-drilled hole on the lock body.

0008.jpg

Now the hand wheel can be replaced and the digi-gauge setup as per the manual.

In use, to lock the table at the set depth, just tighten the lever up until it just bites.

0011.jpg

.. and to unlock, just flick it down.

0010.jpg

... set your depth, lock and so on.

It really is simplicity and works incredibly well. I've now had it three weeks and used it a great deal to prepare about 50 boards of mainly sycamore 120mm x 400mm. The dial doesn't move a thou!

I Can't thank Bob enough for taking the time to help me with this. I believe Bob is interested in helping others out. Send him a PM if you have a problem with your Jet JTS-260

Bob - excellent. This little mod has clearly moved the machine up into the realms of it's bigger brothers - Rob

Excellent work Bob and a great review from Wizer too. I've not managed to get my 260 up and running yet but I could well be in the market for one of these in the future. Such a simple, elegant solution to a tricky problem. I had a look at mine to see if I could think of a simple solution should I suffer this problem in the future.

Bob, perhaps it's worth approaching Jet / Brimark to see if they want to buy the design? I'm sure there are probably plenty of people suffering this problem and only a tiny number will see this forum.

To be honest, even if you haven't noticed the problem yet, I'd still buy the lock. IMHO you need to lock a thicknessing table on any machine. I don't understand why my machine started doing it, but it must be due to wear and tear. If the lock was there from the start, perhaps those parts wouldn't have worn?

pleased to hear you got it sorted tom, will this lock be a one size fits all affair, or is it only for the jet, and lastly are you making any other model locks available??
I only have a sip 6" P/T.

Latest posts

Back