Iron hand drill, not made in Sheffield

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
In Salaman's Dictionary of Woodworking Tools, under "Drill" there is an illustration of what he says was variously listed as an Angle Brace, Gearing Brace, Drill Brace or Corner Drill.

IMG_2933_zps15c87744.jpg

He says they were earlier than the more familiar American pattern of the 1870s and were "most probably imported from the Continent." Two similar ones were listed in the fourth Arnold and Walker catalogue in 1976, one of them from Salaman's collection, no 270, priced at £65, and a plainer one, no 271, at £40, but with no comment on their origin.

IMG_2932_zps7b2dc708.jpg

Proudfoot and Walker's 1984 book on tool collecting has this picture of a similar one, and just says "the beautifully made iron bevel-gear drill on the left is stamped I. Peter, Lenz but was probably imported to the UK from Switzerland when new in the early 19th century."

IMG_2931_zps39d79dd8.jpg

I recently bought this one on eBay, for quite a bit less than that, in scruffy condition

IMG_2826_zps17d833a3.jpg

and have cleaned it up a bit, so it now looks like this:

IMG_2893_zps59a70faa.jpg

I was interested to see that a very similar one, but with a replaced wooden handle, just sold on eBay for £65.78 - showing that I am not the only one who rather likes these

$_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301071069068?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 though another one optimistically on buy-it-now for £220 has been around for quite a while.

I can show some w-i-p pics of the cleaning if anyone wants, but what I am intrigued by is to try and understand how these would have been made. I think it's late enough to be made to a standard pattern, for stock, so not as a one-off, but the chamfering looks like hand work. Would the body have been hand forged on an anvil, then drilled and assembled? I can't tell if the gears were cast or cut from solid.

Does anyone else have one of these, or any thoughts on how it would have been made?

Nice Andy and yet to get one myself.
Not sure about manufacture as I have never looked that close at one but very interesting design 8)

Wondered when it was going to get a mention :roll:
Seen it lurking behind that Greenslade :wink: =D>

Andy

toolsntat":1zrk7tom said:
Nice Andy and yet to get one myself.
Not sure about manufacture as I have never looked that close at one but very interesting design 8)

Wondered when it was going to get a mention :roll:
Seen it lurking behind that Greenslade :wink: =D>

Andy

Good grief! I had to look back and check, but it's a fair cop.
I must tidy up more often.

Been thinking about how the frames of these drills might be made, and so far the conclusion is a definite 'don't know'.

Several possibilities.

Iron casting? This shape lends itself to easy casting, but whilst it's not always easy to tell from photos (even ones as good as these), it doesn't look like iron. Looks more like steel. (The gears do look like iron, though - very commonly used for gears small and large by the Victorians.)

Steel casting? Improbable - crucible steel was made into castings, but as it was expensive stuff, usually only for high-value items and in military applications. Not sure this is 'high value' enough. Mild steel castings (which would be appropriate for something like this) didn't happen until the 1870s since Bessemer didn't invent his converter and have it widely used until the late 1860s.

Forging? It's a heck of a complicated shape to forge at the anvil. Not to mention the amount of filing-up afterwards. A drop forging is a possibility - not sure when closed-die drop stamping was introduced. There's still quite a bit of hand-finishing on it if it is, though.

Fabrication? Cut from flat wrought iron plate or forged from square bar, with the bosses and knobbly bits brazed in later? Possible, but unlikely.

It's possible that more clues might be found by careful examination of the inside surfaces of the frame, and the joints between the bosses and frame proper, looking for casting or forging parting lines (assuming these have not been dressed out in the finishing), or any evidence of brazing or other joining processes.

Sorry that poses more questions than answers....

bugbear":2q8taimf said:
Probably continental - I'll check my library tonight.

BugBear

No joy - I thought I'd seen them, but my only old continental catalogue (Feron + Cie, 1927), but the
tools listed are ALL made of wood (with steel/brass blades and fittings).

I suspect Wolfgang Jordan is the man required to help further.

BugBear

Brilliant research BB!

I'd looked on that forum but not found that page. I have a brace with a very similar turned wooden top, as discussed. The design does seem to have had a very long run, with the Bergeron illustrated one looking fundamentally similar to the later tools. But it's probably more relevant to see it surviving into the C20. I will try harder to translate the French later on - it looks like there is something there about construction processes.

I actually have two of these drills, though the second one needs a bit more work. I'll put up some photos when there's something to see.

Thanks again for your help.

AndyT":1c4ygq0a said:
Brilliant research BB!

One of the secrets of non-english searching (if you suspect there might be useful info) is to use google translate to translate your query, then
do a nation-limited search with your new query.

I've found good japanese info this way. No good searching for native Japanese info using ASCII. Don't search for plane, search for 平鉋!!

BugBear

Another oddity that limits the date range for this drill - the chuck takes a no 1 Morse taper bit, which the company history suggests would have been made after about 1864.

Back