'Hutchens Patent' Mitre shoot board / plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolmatt

Reaction score
Hi

I have this interesting old Hutchens Patent Mitre Shoot board / plane
I am wondering if anyone can help me with any information about it, its age etc.

I can only find one link online about it, but nothing else.

It is very heavy!

Thanks fo rlooking, any information would be a great help (and any idea of value?!)

Attachments

• DSC05516.JPG
    DSC05516.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 2,831
  • DSC05517.JPG
    DSC05517.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 2,833
  • DSC05518.JPG
    DSC05518.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 2,831
  • DSC05519.JPG
    DSC05519.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 2,828
  • DSC05520.JPG
    DSC05520.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 2,827
thats a really nice item you have got there, any interesting personal history?

adidat

I've done some digging and they were very poorly regarded - worthless in fact. Best you just pop it in the post to me and I'll give it a humane burial :wink: .

Just kidding!

Looks like a beautifully engineered piece of kit and I'll venture that with a nicely honed iron you could knock out an accurate mitred frame in minutes. No idea of the value but if it were to be made new you'd need to ask £500 odd to make it worth cracking a sweat over.

Welcome to the forum. Don't know anything about ti but it looks like a lovely piece of kit.

Jim

Hi Toolmatt and welcome. That's an impressive gloat for a first post!
Can you tell us a bit more? Are you a woodworker? Do you understand what this tool does, and why it's rare and desirable, or are you just a very lucky person who had this fall into his lap?

Welcome to the forum, Toolmatt.

This one bugged me because I could have sworn I'd seen it somewhere before, so I did some digging. Only links online I found was a NZ tool collector site (wonder which magazine it was in?), a classified ad from the local paper in Wellington, NZ from 1922 and an unanswered question on the Old Tools List - if no-one on there knew anything, we're in a spot of bother. So I dug amongst my own various references and the best I've come up with is in an article on picture framing from The Woodworker magazine of March 1928. Viz:
woodworker1928mitreplaner.jpg

Accompanying text says
For trimming the mitres of large gilt and composition frames the trade workshops use the special mitreing machine illustrated at Fig. 2. This consists of a large metal box-like frame which carries two cutting blades about 4 ins. in width, the blades being adjusted by the usual thumb-screw motion. This box plane travels in a grooved metal bed, and the power is transmitted from the hand lever to the plane by a rack and quadrant motion. Suitable adjustable angle fences are provided to give the required mitreing angles. This machine is (and has been) in general use by the trade gilders and frame makers for many years. It is unequalled for the production of gilt frames because it takes off the mitres a shaving so fine that there is no risking of shattering the gilt and composition edge.
As to value, I came up blank recently on the same question concerning a Roger's Patent Mitre Planer and that's a much better known model, so who knows?

Cheers, Alf

Attachments

• woodworker1928mitreplaner.jpg
    woodworker1928mitreplaner.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 2,839
Welcome Matt and what a wonderful tool that is! I simply love these gizmos...great to tinker and play with let alone make mitres!

Be very careful before you consider any restoration work on it. Given the sparcity of information on it I would hazard a guess that it might astound you when you learn its value.

If you don't intend keeping it I would put it up on eBay with a big reserve and test the water...it could go for a few bob but more likely hundreds!

Nice start...tell us more about yourself.

Jim

Alf":1s2zq4n1 said:
Welcome to the forum, Toolmatt.

This one bugged me because I could have sworn I'd seen it somewhere before, so I did some digging. Only links online I found was a NZ tool collector site (wonder which magazine it was in?), a classified ad from the local paper in Wellington, NZ from 1922 and an unanswered question on the Old Tools List - if no-one on there knew anything, we're in a spot of bother. So I dug amongst my own various references and the best I've come up with is in an article on picture framing from The Woodworker magazine of March 1928. Viz:

Accompanying text says
For trimming the mitres of large gilt and composition frames the trade workshops use the special mitreing machine illustrated at Fig. 2. This consists of a large metal box-like frame which carries two cutting blades about 4 ins. in width, the blades being adjusted by the usual thumb-screw motion. This box plane travels in a grooved metal bed, and the power is transmitted from the hand lever to the plane by a rack and quadrant motion. Suitable adjustable angle fences are provided to give the required mitreing angles. This machine is (and has been) in general use by the trade gilders and frame makers for many years. It is unequalled for the production of gilt frames because it takes off the mitres a shaving so fine that there is no risking of shattering the gilt and composition edge.
As to value, I came up blank recently on the same question concerning a Roger's Patent Mitre Planer and that's a much better known model, so who knows?

Cheers, Alf

From memory, there was an article in woodworker in the late 1980's about a guy buying one from an antique shop, talking to someone who'd used it in anger, and being told to make sure he had also got the spare blades (which he went back for).

I'll check tonight.

matthewwh":32s20j8r said:
No idea of the value but if it were to be made new you'd need to ask £500 odd to make it worth cracking a sweat over.

Gotta be higher - you're looking at a #51 AND a #52.

BugBear

Thanks to everyone for all of the help, lots of interesting information, Its good to learn about its use, the Diagram Alf posted is very interesting.

I am not a woodworker, so have no real use for the item, so at some time in the future I will look to move it on.

Would ebay be the best selling point, or a real tool auction (david stanley?)

toolmatt":3fqet785 said:
I am not a woodworker, so have no real use for the item, so at some time in the future I will look to move it on.

So ... how did you end up with the tool?!?!

BugBear

Pretty similar to the mitre guillotine, which is simpler, cheaper and probably performs just as well for most purposes, with the Hutchens perhaps just having the edge with fragile composite mouldings as mentioned above.

Hi,
I have just found a Hutchens's Mitre shooter, and if this will help, mine has a plaque on it.
It reads ;
Hutchen's Patent Mitre Shooter
"ECLIPSE"
No: 1700 (number stamped manually on the plaque)
SOLE MAKERS
N.Holman & Sons, St.Just.Penzance.
Hope this sheds some light,
regards,
G

Great work - now Alf will have to buy one! :lol:

A quick google reveals that they were the one-stop-shop not just for mitre cutters, but also good for second hand steam engines, reversible desks and manure drills!

404px-1893_DevonCornwall3_i0516.png

Holman's are a big family business in Penzance. Holman's Dock is a large dry dock on the road from Penzance to Newlyn. It has a big swing bridge to let larger vessels into the dock behind.

The pier had been extended again in 1812 and John Matthews opened a small dry dock in 1814, the first in the South West. In 1840 Nicholas Holman of St Just opened a branch of his foundry business on the quayside.[20] These facilities proved valuable in supporting the steamships that were soon calling at the harbour in increasing numbers.

Some fantastic engineering went on with that company when I was a junior down in the toe of England. Lots of history...I believe it was sold at the end of the 20thC

ALF would probably know more about their latest family progress.

Jim

Don't look at me - I only knew about Holman Bros. in Camborne. Truly I've been down here too long and have adopted the mentality that anywhere over 3 miles away isn't local, and over 12 is foreign parts... #-o And no, Andy, I don't have to buy one now, thankyouverymuch. :p

Alf":2yfsw8xy said:
Don't look at me - I only knew about Holman Bros. in Camborne. Truly I've been down here too long and have adopted the mentality that anywhere over 3 miles away isn't local, and over 12 is foreign parts... #-o And no, Andy, I don't have to buy one now, thankyouverymuch. :p

I think Holman Brothers were a huge family...I will ask the missus...and they had many business interests in West Penwith and beyond.

I keep forgetting how huge a county Cornwall is....when I lived in Porthcurno...Penzance was a "once a week" trip and Cambourne was "up country"....so I know exactly what you mean.

Go on ALF...you know you want one!

Jim

No I don't. [-(

And it's not so much that Cornwall's big, as long. With a really lousy transport network. And no decent tool shops. :cry:

glnnsmokey":19i1bm6g said:
Hi,
I have just found a Hutchens's Mitre shooter, and if this will help, mine has a plaque on it.

Has some damn great warehouse full of these things just been tipped out onto the streets when I wasn't looking?

BugBear

Back