Handmade wooden chess set

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_HsMichael

Reaction score
Here's a few photos of a chess set I completed in 2012. It is made entirely out of english walnut and sycamore, and features a drawer underneath the board. The pieces were mostly designed by myself and cut out on the scroll saw.

project1.jpg

project2.jpg

project3.JPG

Attachments

• project3.JPG
    project3.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 2,241
  • project2.jpg
    project2.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 2,241
  • project1.jpg
    project1.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 2,242
MMUK":1iql6dar said:
Beautiful! I recognise all the landmarks except the horsey ones :?

I concur!
Horseys are Leaning Tower of Piza? I think.
Not sure what the rooks are though I'm afraid? :oops:

bodge":15wtbkjz said:
MMUK":15wtbkjz said:

I concur!

You nearly got it. The ponys are meant to be a side view of the Coliseum, and the rooks are meant to be one of the towers of the Great Wall of China. I know it's not very clear, they're the worst pieces out of the lot. Thanks for the comments guys, appreciate it.

bodge":2smcrqws said:
MMUK":2smcrqws said:

I concur!

Now you've said that about the rooks, I'm not so sure myself any more. I had thought they may be the towers from the Tower of London.

OK, now I know what they are.

powertools":3azdec26 said:
Nice work and interesting videos.
Out of interest what saw have you got and what blades do you use?

At home I use a fairly old Delta 40-570 scroll saw, but for this project I used the Excalibur's at my school (which are far superior). In terms of blades I use Olson blades; these range from skip tooth to reverse tooth, and go from size 5 up to size 9, depending on the project.

Very nice and refreshingly different. Have to admit I thought the horses were the Pisa tower as well. :)

Wow!

Fantastic piece of work and can clearly tell it was a Labour of love.

I take my hat off to you.

They are beautiful and such a unique set. I really like those. The rooks are pretty impressive and do look like the Great Wall towers. (Been there done that) Do I take it the pawns are the Pyramids? Great craftsmanship. :D

mailee":21u8yh95 said:
They are beautiful and such a unique set. I really like those. The rooks are pretty impressive and do look like the Great Wall towers. (Been there done that) Do I take it the pawns are the Pyramids? Great craftsmanship. :D

Thanks a lot, really appreciate it. And yes, the pawns are pyramids (well are meant to be).

_HsMichael":14lrscee said:
powertools":14lrscee said:

At home I use a fairly old Delta 40-570 scroll saw, but for this project I used the Excalibur's at my school (which are far superior). In terms of blades I use Olson blades; these range from skip tooth to reverse tooth, and go from size 5 up to size 9, depending on the project.

Thanks for the reply. Are you a young lad and pupil at the school or are you a teacher?

powertools":3dbhbu5l said:
_HsMichael":3dbhbu5l said:
powertools":3dbhbu5l said:

Thanks for the reply. Are you a young lad and pupil at the school or are you a teacher?

I'm an 18 year old Mechanical engineering student at my local college. (but I would love to become a carpenter/joiner and to have my own workshop but it's very unlikely to happen). At the time I made this I was 15/16.

I think it is quite brilliant! =D> =D> =D>

Both for its concept and execution.

BTW chaps, (The leaning Tower of Pisa is round, not square)

John. B

Back