Dart-head router cutter ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cordy

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking for a source for half inch diameter router cutter with tip like a dart
hhrp_R_1545a8fe.jpg

To fit in my plunge router to get good central position on the wood; then swap to standard cutter to do the biz

I've seen them on USA you-tubes but can't find any here
Any info much appreciated

Have an idea:

I bought two lengths of silver steel bar stock recently, 1/4" and 1/2" diameter (from that well-known auction site). The main intention is to be able to check the router is squarely in the router table and the tall fence is properly parallel. If you did similar, it's a work of moments for some nice chap with a lathe to turn a point on the end of a piece, and cut it off to length.

Would that work? I think I paid about four quid for the 1/4" and six quid for the 1/2" piece, both being around a foot long (far too much really). BTW, they're also handy to reset the drill press, because the table on that tilts.

Cheers Erik
Saw the add on *bay; sadly no friends with a lathe

Oakmitre thanks for Wealdon link; Ordered one of those

Got the idea from George at one minute

you don't need a lathe to do that, you need a drill and a belt sander.
cut a short piece, chuck it up in the drill, spin it against the belt at an angle to get a nice point. matter of seconds for 1/4" few minutes for 1/2". it will be close enough to centre for what your after.

Eric The Viking":3i2133i4 said:
BTW, they're also handy to reset the drill press, because the table on that tilts.

All you need to set the table of a drill press it a length of coat hanger wire with a 45deg bend in, clamp in the chuck and spin it by hand adjust the table so it just touches the table all the way round and your table is level.

Pete

Ordered the Wealdon Dart as per Oakmitre at 10- 30 Thursday night

Arrived Saturday morning; good product, job sorted :lol:

Wealden are very helpful and their service is excellent. Not everything they sell is actually on the website, so it is worth giving them a call. They sold me a 3mm arris router cutter, it is so much better than a roundover and blends the roundover into the top surface without any step.

oakmitre":2fpid4v2 said:
Wealden are very helpful and their service is excellent. Not everything they sell is actually on the website, so it is worth giving them a call. They sold me a 3mm arris router cutter, it is so much better than a roundover and blends the roundover into the top surface without any step.
That sounds really useful - the number of times I've tried rounding over with slightly warped stock...

;-)

Eric The Viking":1l51e1s9 said:
oakmitre":1l51e1s9 said:
That sounds really useful - the number of times I've tried rounding over with slightly warped stock...

;-)

Isn't that what a block plane is for Erik? :wink:

It was 6mm HDPE sheet I was routing with a guide template underneath. It just makes it easier when rounding over from both sides.

Latest posts

Back