Any tips for aging brass

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homers double

Established Member
Reaction score
I just wondered if any one had any tricks to age brass, I've recently fitted some unlaquered brass door knobs, (was a complete nightmare as I had to wait 8 weeks for them as I had to wait for a new batch to be made so they could remove them from the production line before the lacquer was applied)
Any way my client says they still too shiney, so are there any ways to make them look older very quickly
HD

Fume in ammonia or soak in vinegar. I did this on a scratch awl that I made and it worked very quickly. Whatever you do though try it out on a piece of scrap first!

I used 'gun blue' to age an outside brass tap- it did turn it rather brown though.

Coley

I would try one of Robin's suggestions. I have tried some more home-spun things like vinegar, other acids, heat etc and they do oxidise it but not in a very attractive way (may be my fault), tend to get white and green crud build-ups and a very uneven tarnish in the less unaffected areas. You may have more luck/skill, but I swore next time to just spend the few quid on some proper antiquing solution. I haven't tried fuming with ammonia though

i got an even tarnish but it was very very brown- it looked ok on what i was doing, but wasnt what i had planned. The antiquing solution is probably a better solution, given your application. I avoided it because i only had a couple of square inches to do and it wasnt worth buying for that.

Thanks guys for the info
RobinBHM thanks for the links especially the John Wardle one, I'll order the old English brass curator one, I'll try to post some pics of before and after when I've done them

Homers double":3kdca5fg said:
so are there any ways to make them look older very quickly

Use them. Everyday use will tarnish them fairly quickly.

Domestic brass doorknobs are tarnished by sweat and body oils I would imagine, plus maybe fish and chip traces, or whatever other food is eaten in the house. I think you would be surprised how soon the ageing process starts. Probably why brass needs regular and frequent polishing to keep it shiny. (Like they have a mania for in the RN!) Just remove any varnish and take them back to plain brass. Let the process happen naturally.

The newest one in my house took on a dull, tarnished appearance that was just right after about twelve months. It's slowly getting darker, but ah well, it's bound to I suppose. It also tarnished in the places it should, because it happened through regular, normal use. Maybe when it's as dark as I want, I'll lacquer it to stop the process... :mrgreen:

HTH

John

Benchwayze":3n6m3tag said:
Domestic brass doorknobs are tarnished by sweat and body oils I would imagine, plus maybe fish and chip traces, or whatever other food is eaten in the house. I think you would be surprised how soon the ageing process starts. Probably why brass needs regular and frequent polishing to keep it shiny. (Like they have a mania for in the RN!)_ if if you just removed any varnish and took them back to plain brass. Let the process happen naturally. The newest one in my house took on a dull, tarnished appearance that was just right after about twelve months. It's slowly getting darker too, but ah well, it's bound to I suppose. It also tarnished in the places it should, because it happened through regular, normal use. Maybe when it's as dark as I want, I'll lacquer it to stop the process... :mrgreen:

HTH

John
That's my way of thinking with rust aswell. I looked into buying all sorts of nasty chemicals to speed up the process and thought balls to it- let nature take its course, then treat it when it looks about right.

Coley

I use an antiquing fluid, but it depends how old you're looking at. I can get 'HG Wells - Time Machine' type finish if I leave it soaking for a few minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wuffles":2l2hje4s said:
I use an antiquing fluid, but it depends how old you're looking at. I can get 'HG Wells - Time Machine' type finish if I leave it soaking for a few minutes.

Of course you can always buy handles from salvage yards ready-antiqued; which really have travelled through time! They'll also have a few authentic looking dents in them. A bit like me really! :wink:

Benchwayze":2s0yylha said:
Wuffles":2s0yylha said:

Of course you can always buy handles from salvage yards ready-antiqued; which really have travelled through time! They'll also have a few authentic looking dents in them. A bit like me really! :wink:

Oh I recycle and use anything I can get my grubby mitts on, this is normally for when I've lost an old brass screw and a new one sticks out like a sore thumb :)

Oh, and brass hooks, I can never have enough antique hooks.

Bucket of urine is supposed to work too. Cow's is supposed to be the best (more ammonia). I have no idea how or why I know this.... :shock:

Apparently, brass has natural bacteriocidal properties (probably the copper). A few years back, the NHS started "upgrading" its door furniture, I think specifying stainless or plastic for all new build or replacements, only to find out that doorhandles became a source of cross-infection. I don't know if it's changed its mind or not.

When I was a child, a friend of ours made "antique" pub mirrors. After doing the designs, he buried them in the back garden for a few months. They sold really well!

I'd strip the lacquer coating off, if there is one, and just leave hands and time to do their work. It doesn't take long.

E.

Bm101":3sbshi8z said:
Bucket of urine is supposed to work too. Cow's is supposed to be the best (more ammonia). I have no idea how or why I know this.... :shock:
I had a bit of decorum and called it sweat. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks to info from RobinBHM I purchased the curator fluid to age these door knobs
My customer is over the moon with them, not my cup of tea though.
I thought I'd post the results should anyone else have the need to age brass ( or any shiney unlaquered metal)
Very easy to do, dilute the fluid in a cup, 10 parts water to 1 part curator fluid, dip the door knob in mixture for 2 mins, remove and rinse under water and dry off job done.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    94.4 KB · Views: 443
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 443
Thanks for the pics. Most useful when searching for something to see a before and after.

I actually agreevwith your customer and really like them.

Back