any tips for mixing white filler?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheUnicorn

Established Member
Reaction score
was mixing up some all white filler today, the golf ball to pea ratio stuff, normally I use a nominally wood coloured product, with white hardener, so it is easy enough to see when you have an even speck free mix, the white filler is impossible to see when it is mixed thoroughly. any techniques for an even mix - i don't know why they don't make the hardener blue, it would make for a brilliant white and you could see the mix was thorough.

also is there any better way to measure out a golfball size and a pea size, all seems very easy to get wrong. did two mixes today, to my eye identical ratio, one took ages to go off, the other bang on the timing expected.

any techniques or tips appreciated

I use the Davids Isopon, or car body filler and that is two part with similar ratios. There is a tolerance and with experience you get it right, to much hardner and you waste the mix as it cannot be spread nicely and too little you are waiting for ages before sanding. With this the hardener is red but don't get to hung up about mixing and mix next to the job to give yourself more time. For me it is a bit of stiring and then scraping it up of the mixing board to turn it over and cut it in, same as mixing concrete by hand.

Ah! I see..... two part filler. As for mixing just the usual observations................

The thinner the coat the longer it will take to harden. Temperature also plays a roll in the speed of going off

As for mixing I usually spread out the filler over a wide area on a board and coat this with the hardener this will give a better mix from the outset especially if there is no colour indication with the hardener

After many years of using two -part fillers I now always buy extra tubes of hardener, which gives me a lot more leeway when mixing.

Back