Another "What HVLP" question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petey83

Established Member
Reaction score
So I am looking into investing in a HVLP system. I am only a hobby user so historically just mini rollered anything i have built but given i have just made all the skirting and architrave for the new house out of MRMDF plus have a number of fitted units to make i am thinking of spending some money on a HVLP set up.

I have read a lot of the previous threads on here and am still unsure which way to go and have a few questions.

Is the Earlax 5500 really a good machine or is it just good for the price? Would i be better looking at spending another £100 - £150 on a Fuji or Appolo set up or is that really just a case of nice fit and finish?

In terms of the paint - we have already chosen to paint the woodwork with an oilbased dulux trade diamond finish paint so need a sprayer that can spray oil paint - understand it will need to be thinned so any advice here would be welcomed.

looking ahead i want to be able to use the set up to paint parts for fitted units as well as stand alone items like bed side units etc.

i need to limit the budget but at the same time i want something that i wont outgrow in a years time and have to upgrade - i belive in buying the best i can afford but also where possible buying once

Petey83

The Minimite did not exist when I carried out the linked investigations, so I can't say what its like, but knowing Fuji it will be a good machine, go for the highest spec you can get for your budget and do get a whip hose, makes the manoeuvrability so much better.

Have fun, they really do make achieving a high grade finish easier.

Mike

Nice positive review here: http://thewoodworkersnews.com/2014/06/r ... ay-system/

Seems I've ghost myself confused... the Fuji I am looking at is below... the next one up is £470 so out of my budget

http://www.axminster.co.uk/fuji-semi-pr ... tem-501285

The apollo is the 1500 model but I suspect I'd have to pay out more for a stainless steel cup as will be using oil based paints with thinners.

In regards to the whip - I have a coiled type one from my compressor which is no longer used - wouldnthia be useable?

On the whip hose the coiled type you have will probably not have sufficient capacity to allow a high volume of air to the gun, the HVLP hose's are about 20mm diameter to allow a massive amount of air through at low pressure.

If you can streach to the Fuji system the gun is so much better than the Q-Tech Silver Pro (I think it is) supplied with the Appollo, this is also the gun supplied with the Fuji Semi-Pro re-badged as the M gun.

Have a look on e-bay for second hand machines, I got a Q4 Pro for a very very good price, and it came with a full set of needles and lots of spares, one of my better purchase's

Mike

I also bought the Fuji Q4 secondhand off this forum, again came with lots of extras. I would make the same decision again, it's brilliant and simple to use it's great results.

Just a heads up, you will need paint filters, paint thickness cup, cleaning kit, Gun cleaner (proper gloves for acetone as its nasty stuff), proper mask (filters for spraying and gun cleaner - if you don't have an extraction booth for cleaning the gun) and either a stand / make a stand for filling it with paint. This adds a bit to the expenditure in order to get properly ready to start painting!

I've gotten to a trend half face mask and one of the Axminster full face powered masks so assume these will be ok? Do I need special filters other than the heap ones for them?

I assume by paint thickness cup you mean viscocity cup which i have already factored in and paint filter wise I was thinking a fine mesh sieve would work?

I know I will regret saying this, but with a HVLP sprayer the amount of bounce back is so little you will be amazed compared with a compressor system, this all means that a full face helmet is not needed, in fact when you become proficient with the gun and its application, you can spray in the open air without a mask, this obviously is according to what paint you are using, if its anything toxic then precautions should be taken.

Don't be afraid to experiment with undiluted paint and different needles and settings, I found I can spray undiluted high build filler by using the right needle and air flow.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I'll likely wear a mask but it's good to know it's not as critical. I've decided to swerve spraying the oil based paint - it's unpleasant enough when being used with a brush.

I think I will knock up a collapsible frame and use poly sheets to cover, this way I can set up a spray both in the workshop.

I'm leaning towards the Apollo 1500 now as it seems to be better built than the cheaper Fuji. I've been watching eBay on and off for a couple of weeks and not seem much of interest.

The painted pot with the Apollo Will be less of an issue i guess if I'm not using mineral thinners. It comes with a 1.3mm tip which I gather is great for fine finishes with water based paints and I can add others as I learn more.

The main difference between the Apollo 1500 and the less expensive Fuji is the amount of stages in the turbine the Apollo is a three stage turbine and the less expensive Fuji is only a two stage, the more stages an HVLP has the more air it can move and therefore it is able to spray thicker material for a given needle size, but you are right to go for a minimum three stage turbine.

As I said the Apollo gun is a Q-Tech silver pro and pots for that gun are available from different suppliers on line.

Mike

Petey83

You have a PM, be quick they don't stay on e-bay for long.

Mike

I have an Earlex 5500. The spray finish is good and the amount of overspray is minimal. However the constant airflow out of the gun makes it awkward to use in my dusty workshop.

i have gone for the Apollo 1500-3 as Mike very helpfully pointed me in the direction of a well priced one on the auction site

I have the Earlex 5500 and usually add a gauze filter at the output
connection to the main hose this works well. The main unit is switched via a wireless controlled switch which is also very convenient. I have sprayed chalk paint and emulsion onto furniture and the finish has been very good but you do have to thin and choose the best nozzle size.

You should never need a gauze filter on the output hose, maybe, if your internal air filters are not in place or you have your turbine in a very dusty environment.

I use these on the end of the internal gun pick up pipe: http://www.axminster.co.uk/fuji-9044-ny ... ers-101565 but I don't know it they will fit your gun.

Wireless switching anything that is remote from you is always a good idea.

Mike

This spoof image appears on a lot of adds for HVLP sprayers, the image shows the pressure pipe to the gun at the rear of the pot, at the angle the gun is being held, any fluid in the pot will be at the rear and will migrate into the tube and block it and or the one way valve, by loosening off the fitting between the gun and pot the pressure tube can be rotated to the front of the pot, thus helping to prevent this, an internal diaphragm as used in the Fuji T70 gun will also help prevent this whilst the gun is being moved around or held at odd angles, once any fluid gets into the pressure tube you will experience splatter and an inconsistent spray pattern, due to bad fluid pick up.

Mike

So the apollo arrived today. Guns and hose have had a few dinks but all in all everything is in good order. Run a cups worth of water through it and think I've got the knack of it now so will be undertaking my first bit of painting tomorrow weather permitting - spray priming about 50 meters of MDF skirting and architrave so will feedback on performance.

Latest posts

Back