Advice regarding Meddings M10 Bench Drill please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bacchanal

Reaction score
Hello all,

Recently I bought a Meddings M10 high speed bench drill, which I use for drilling very accurately placed holes, of small diameters (0.5-3mm) (I am a musical instrument maker), so it suits me really well.

However, as anybody who has seen one of these will know, there are no slots on the circular table to attach a vice to it. In lieu of using a small G cramp to attach a small vice onto the table, how is one meant to securely attach a vice to this machine?!

Also, the belt on the top is quite worn out. Would anybody know where I could find a replacement for such an old machine?

And finally, would anybody know where I could source an original instructions manual for this?

Many thanks.
Theo

I would drill & tap the bed to accept your vice that is how I attached my cross vice to my Meddings though not an M10.
My belt I got from a local independent car spares shop, they had boxes full of fan belts etc,it took a little searching but I found the right size for less than £2

There are a number of web sites that will determine the one you need if there are no code numbers visible.
You will need to know the width of the belt (widest part of the Vee) and the diameter and distance between the pulleys.
Have a wander around the web until you find a site you like and see what you come up with.

Meddings usually supply manuals on request, give them a call.

In terms of a vice, something like this from Chronos maybe?

110183l.jpg

To fix it to the 9" round bed, maybe drill the base of the vice horizontally and use a few of these or similar? They are Rockler fence clamps but others such as UJK from Axminster sell them too.

rockler fence clamp.jpg

If there isn't enough height for these clamps, it shouldn't be hard to make a couple just for this job.

Belt wise, they are available from Meddings, item number 13591 but it will probably be cheaper to buy elsewhere if you know the size, or if not, use a belt calculator such as this from Bearing Boys

Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• 110183l.jpg
    110183l.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 63
  • rockler fence clamp.jpg
    rockler fence clamp.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 63
Back