Spindle Moulder Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ColeyS1":22yena2i said:
The armadillo block doesn't even need limiter knives :lol:

Please can you post a picture of the armadillo block, I am always interested in newer technology of a practical nature.
Thanks and regards Rodders

46364b78863449acdbc88a339c01ccd1.jpg

0014e55404ed57925b8ad56c6fc679f3.jpg

not the cheapest but I see no reason why you couldn't buy the blanks and grind them yourself. Just grind one and stick in a balancer, with the added bonus of having the correct limiter discs. Depends how often you need to match custom profiles I suppose. I was always under the impression it was the cutters coming loose which forced the change. Cant see how limiters would improove safety that much if you're using power feed, might give a bit better finish...

Coley, many thanks for that link. An interesting tool but when you look at the pricing...jeez! Not only do you have to buy their profiling machine and jig as far as I can see but also the extra disks. You're talking many thousands ££££ and so you'd need to be requiring a hell of a lot of non-standard profiles to make it break-even.

Don't forget that, under PUWER, limiters are only mandatory for handfeeding.

They cleverly achieve the 'no limiter required' statement by effectively building a 'virtual' limiter into the block as it is assembled and so their block meets BSEN847-1 (their promo is wrong!) specifies the maximum projection of the cutter and depends on whether the block is round form or non-round form. There's is effectively round form. It also explains why they are allowed to put MAN (for manual or handfeed) on the block.

You can see more detail here. As an aside it is interesting to note the accident stats...

Most accidents at woodworking machines are due to the operator’s hands or fingers coming into contact with the rotating cutters. Amputation usually results. Between 1993 and 1996 there were 165 injuries (amputations and severe lacerations) at machines where limited cutter projection tooling could have been fitted.

although a certain complete and utter fool would have you believe that limiters are not needed for hand feeding.

Neat idea the Armadillo.

Roger - limiters are not needed if there is no likelihood of your fingers getting anywhere near the cutters. Simple really.
I'm quite pleased that my methods successfully eliminate the major cause of accidents.
Is that your last post?

Coley, I forgot to highlight from the regs (about which you may be already aware but am posting for the benefit of others) ...

Hand-fed is what dictates the use of limiters. The definition of hand-fed is further clarified ..

The term ‘hand-fed’ includes the use of demountable power feed units and hand-operated carriages on which the workpiece is placed manually or clamped.

Hand-operated carriages look like this
CU350%2015.jpg

Only a complete imbecile would argue that push-sticks were not covered by the term 'hand-fed'.

RogerS":1jxd6znw said:
Only a complete imbecile would argue that push-sticks were not covered by the term 'hand-fed'.
Only a complete imbecile would read the regs over and over again as you are doing, and fail to understand them every time.
It says quite clearly "... Following the guidance is not compulsory,unless specifically stated, and you are free to take other action. .......".

I don't think you are able to understand this Roger, you haven't the brain power so I wouldn't continue the struggle if I were you. You keep posting drivel in this thread and so far you have said nothing of any interest or use to anyone. A complete waste of space.
Why don't you make this your last post and put me on "ignore"? You keep promising - pull your finger out and do something useful for a change you silly twerp..

Jacob":1avy2r7x said:
I don't think you are able to understand this Roger, you haven't the brain power so I wouldn't continue the struggle if I were you. You keep posting drivel in this thread and so far you have said nothing of any interest or use to anyone. A complete waste of space.
Why don't you make this your last post and put me on "ignore"? You keep promising - pull your finger out and do something useful for a change you silly twerp..

Why do the moderators continue to let a sh*t-stain like you post here. You regularly stink-up threads for lord knows what issues you have. I'm all for a bit of banter but yours is pure abuse.

Yes sorry but it gets exasperating when you are followed every step of the way by a troll - as of course they know full well

Jacob":2tgh2gzf said:
RogerS":2tgh2gzf said:
Only a complete imbecile would read the regs over and over again as you are doing, and fail to understand them every time.
It says quite clearly "... Following the guidance is not compulsory,unless specifically stated, and you are free to take other action. .......". .

It is specifically stated:

on page 1 of the guide notes it says:
Limited cutter projection tooling should be designed
and constructed to meet BS EN 847-1

Only items NOT specifically stated are not compulsory.

So going off the regulations topic ,..... I picked up the spindle today and also got a euro block for £25 and shaw guards ! Result , the guy also switched it on and did a couple of cuts and all seemed good and not the fire breathing dragon I expected .

I'm going to get a few cutters / limiters and see how I get on !

Nothing too fancy ... A t. & g to start with

I was going to buy from Scott and Sergent unless anyone has any better suggestions

RobinBHM":2c1bne01 said:
Jacob":2c1bne01 said:
RogerS":2c1bne01 said:
It says quite clearly "... Following the guidance is not compulsory,unless specifically stated, and you are free to take other action. .......". .

It is specifically stated:

on page 1 of the guide notes it says:
Limited cutter projection tooling should be designed
and constructed to meet BS EN 847-1

Only items NOT specifically stated are not compulsory.
I don't design or construct limited projection tooling. In any case the operative word is "should" which means it is not mandatory, compulsory or even a legal obligation. It is advisory - a recommended standard, a code of practice etc etc..
I think all this was explained a long way back but some people just refuse to understand it.

Only items NOT specifically stated are not compulsory. I don't design or construct limited projection tooling. In any case the operative word is "should" which means it is not mandatory, compulsory or even a legal obligation. It is advisory - a recommended standard, a code of practice etc etc..
I think all this was explained a long way back but some people just refuse to understand it[.

This HSE site

http://www.hse.gov.uk/woodworking/tooling.htm
has images of spindle moulder blocks not limited and says they are illegal -not very ambiguous......

RobinBHM":3e8ggzb2 said:
Only items NOT specifically stated are not compulsory. I don't design or construct limited projection tooling. In any case the operative word is "should" which means it is not mandatory, compulsory or even a legal obligation. It is advisory - a recommended standard, a code of practice etc etc..
I think all this was explained a long way back but some people just refuse to understand it[.

This HSE site

http://www.hse.gov.uk/woodworking/tooling.htm
has images of spindle moulder blocks not limited and says they are illegal -not very ambiguous......

These regulations do not apply to Jacob as he uses his ego and self believe to push the timber through the machine.

As stated many time within this thread it is illegal to use cutter blocks without limiters unless you are using machines with interlocks. This has been the case for over 11 years.

Some people will not be happy or convinced until they have lost their fingers or have caused the loss to their employees or people they have advised on an open forum!

These regulations have been updated this year

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/wis37.pdf

Back