Spindle Moulder Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rhrwilliams":19yszslu said:
Someone has already posted a link to a cutter that looks good enough for me

Glad to hear that! some of these blokes are pretty switched on and helpful.
Regards Rodders

RogerS":31h15mbf said:
Power feed and false fences work for me! In my early days of using the spindle moulder, I've had a couple of 'brown-trouser' moments. The first was when I stupidly (and as Peter Sefton admirably pointed out in an earlier post is not a good idea) used a push stick between guard and cutter. Luckily for me the kickback from the pushstick merely bruised the fleshy bit of my palm by the thumb and not sent spearing its way through my forearm....ouch!.....
So what did you do next? Stick your hand in instead, and then your head to see where your fingers were? :roll:

You've completely missed the point Roger. You were obviously doing something clumsily and instead of losing a finger you just got a shock and a little bruise, thanks to using a push stick. Exactly my point.
Using a push stick is a good idea even if you are an silly person. Especially if you are an silly person - it might save you from a nasty accident.
Nobody should be deterred from using a push stick by silly stories like this one!
NB using a broad pushstick (see post above) made of cheap ply is the safest option. Laths of solid wood not so good but better than nothing.

doctor Bob":vwquwhpt said:
Go on Jacob, one more whack..........

flogging_dead_horse_what1.jpg

Too good not to post again.

Roger / Jacob et all

This argument is getting quite Laboured now , you should all just get on and enjoy xmas

Peace and love x x x

My only concern is that forum members, especially those who are new or who are contemplating getting a spindle moulder are aware of the risks involved and also have an appreciation of the dangerous 'advice' being given here. If Jacob wishes to lose his fingers or hands or be prosecuted by HS&E then that is his prerogative but I would hate anyone else to have the same thing happen to them as a result of following his 'advice'.

Using push sticks is good advice, especially for beginners.

Happy Christmas all!

Jacob, I agree. The APPROPRIATE use of push sticks is good advice. Provided they are used correctly.

Shoving them up a spindle moulder between guard and cutter, which you are suggesting is a good idea IS NOT.

Peter Sefton gave a very good example on Page 8, and the reasons, why a workshop banned the use of push-sticks on a spindle moulder but you pooh-poohed that viz.....

I think that story is totally improbable. I can safely poke my plywood push stick into the block and it just gets neatly trimmed. And I poke it between the shaw guard and the fence if necessary. Absolutely no problem, as safe as houses.

It also happened to me as I posted above. You also pooh-poohed and belittled that.

You may consider the practice perfectly acceptable and safe. That is your prerogative.

You also advocate a policy of 'hands-up' if something goes wrong. That scares the hell out of me. The human mind and body cannot react that swiftly to such a event. Have you never seen a kickback from a table saw? All the advice given by HS&E focusses on minimising risk and taking the human out of the equation as much as possible. Surely it is better to have good working practices such that one is not placed in the situation of having to try to outpace a machine?

I leave it for members to make up their own mind. I am just alerting them to what the industry in general considers are the dangers.

RogerS":1qf30nlb said:
Jacob, I agree. The APPROPRIATE use of push sticks is good advice. Provided they are used correctly.
And if in doubt use them anyway. Better safe than sorry.
You also advocate a policy of 'hands-up' if something goes wrong. That scares the hell out of me. The human mind and body cannot react that swiftly to such a event. Have you never seen a kickback from a table saw? All the advice given by HS&E focusses on minimising risk and taking the human out of the equation as much as possible. Surely it is better to have good working practices such that one is not placed in the situation of having to try to outpace a machine?.....
You have completely misunderstood this Roger and got it up side down. Sometimes I think you do it on purpose! :roll: :lol:
What I recommend is precisely that you DON'T try to outpace the machine, but instead just back off. Resist the temptation to grab or poke at the workpiece when something has gone wrong - let the machine do it's worst whilst you keep safely back, and switch it off.
Think "feeding wild animal". If the meat drops off the end of the stick don't lean forwards to pick it up - that's when you most risk getting a nasty bite!

No Jacob, I understand what you are saying only too well. I have never said anything about trying to outpace the machine. That is where you have misunderstood me. I am talking about human reaction time when it all goes **** up. Nor have I suggested trying to grab a piece of wood as the spindle moulder chews it up into matchsticks.

Shall we ask for this thread to be locked? We are going round and round in circles.

RogerS":12hxzno5 said:
No Jacob, I understand what you are saying only too well. I have never said anything about trying to outpace the machine. That is where you have misunderstood me. I am talking about human reaction time when it all goes **** up. Nor have I suggested trying to grab a piece of wood as the spindle moulder chews it up into matchsticks.

Shall we ask for this thread to be locked? We are going round and round in circles.
RogerS":12hxzno5 said:
You also advocate a policy of 'hands-up' if something goes wrong. That scares the hell out of me. The human mind and body cannot react that swiftly to such a event. Have you never seen a kickback from a table saw? All the advice given by HS&E focusses on minimising risk and taking the human out of the equation as much as possible. Surely it is better to have good working practices such that one is not placed in the situation of having to try to outpace a machine?.....
Roger if you haven't anything useful or interesting to say it's often better to say nothing - just stop posting! Easy peasy.
Happy Christmas!

PS or if you don't get what I'm saying you could always PM me. I'd be quite happy to explain things more carefully and you wouldn't have to make such a . of yourself in public.

Sorry Jacob..I could argue that you are deliberately misunderstanding me. The use of the phrase 'outpace the machine' in this context does not apply to trying to outpace, say, the feedrate of the machine. By 'outpace' I mean being able to respond to the machine throwing a bit of wood at you or grabbing the wood from you and chewing it up. I would have thought in the context of what was discussed that that would have been obvious to you.

I repeat....why don't we ask for the thread to be locked as we are going round and round and round in circles.

RogerS":3spain73 said:
Sorry Jacob..I could argue that you are deliberately misunderstanding me. The use of the phrase 'outpace the machine' in this context does not apply to trying to outpace, say, the feedrate of the machine. By 'outpace' I mean being able to respond to the machine throwing a bit of wood at you or grabbing the wood from you and chewing it up. I would have thought in the context of what was discussed that that would have been obvious to you.

I repeat....why don't we ask for the thread to be locked as we are going round and round and round in circles.
If you'd just stop posting incoherent and pointless nonsense the thread would come to a natural ending.

It's OK, Bob. He's gone on Ignore and will remain there forever more. Yeah, I know I've said that before but this time it's for real.

Have a good New Year.

Latest posts

Back