Spindle Moulder Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RobinBHM":175bmt1j said:
Only items NOT specifically stated are not compulsory. I don't design or construct limited projection tooling. In any case the operative word is "should" which means it is not mandatory, compulsory or even a legal obligation. It is advisory - a recommended standard, a code of practice etc etc..
I think all this was explained a long way back but some people just refuse to understand it[.

This HSE site

http://www.hse.gov.uk/woodworking/tooling.htm
has images of spindle moulder blocks not limited and says they are illegal -not very ambiguous......
It is ambiguous as it is contradicted in other publications from the HSE including as linked to from that same page. Basically there is scope to use deprecated tooling if "other" safety measures are in place.
All in all it's sensible but yes it can seem very unclear.

rhrwilliams":34msobmr said:
So going off the regulations topic ,..... I picked up the spindle today and also got a euro block for £25 and shaw guards ! Result , the guy also switched it on and did a couple of cuts and all seemed good and not the fire breathing dragon I expected .

I'm going to get a few cutters / limiters and see how I get on !

Glad to hear you've heard the spindle running and had a demo.
If you aren't getting a day with Mr Sefton, I Suggest you at least google or do whatever you need to get a copy of the spindle makers handbook/instructions and mug up on it, someone here may have a copy!
There's probably stuff on u tube for you're Startrite model being used.
When you are setting up for use, allow enough time to complete the setting without people talking to you, going for lunch or answering the 'phone, or going to the toilet, any distractions at all, That will help cut down the risks.
Get a setting system, number one, UNPLUG THE MACHINE! then select the cutters and sharpen them, select the block, etc, etc I hope you enjoy the machine, just be very wary Regards Rodders

I did a router course some time ago with a lovely bloke called colin searle who lives very near me. I really enjoyed the day so was going to book myself for his spindle day in the new year.

When I did the router course I got a blocking for my bad table saw practice and since seeing colin, have been using all my guards , push sticks etc etc and still have fingers :)

rhrwilliams":3ve0kl8q said:
Can anyone give me a steer on the type of cutter I need to make this type of panel bead moulding

http://www.thestainedglassdoorscompany. ... 1280f9.jpg

I cant seem to see it on the link posted above , or the Scott and sergeant one ....but to be frank I'm not 100% what i'm looking for !

That mould is about 3/8"x 7/8" finished sizes, and i would mould those off the edge of a piece of 6"x 1"on it's flat through the spindle and cut it off at 5/8"through the saw, fine blade, no planing, a router would do it too.
Also seen it in Richard Burbidge moulding rack B&Q and all the merchants, Rodders

I've had a spindle moulder for over a year now and hardly use it cause' it scares the utter life out of me. Appreciate the posts on recommendations for training locations by people. Will get one of these booked in the New Year.

rhrwilliams":ts3gakcg said:
http://www.routercourses.co.uk

Well worth the money in my opinion, cant recommend highly enough.

I just love going into someone's workshop like that, I get all envious of the kit and space, a really good learning environment too! and smelling the pine sawdust and shaving smell, lovely.
Regards Rodders.

shed9":ufphv45y said:
I've had a spindle moulder for over a year now and hardly use it cause' it scares the utter life out of me. Appreciate the posts on recommendations for training locations by people. Will get one of these booked in the New Year.
What is it, what is it, do tell, always interested! Rodders

blackrodd":1gxlzsoo said:
shed9":1gxlzsoo said:
What is it, what is it, do tell, always interested! Rodders

Nothing too interesting I'm afraid, just an Axi WS1000TA. To be fair it's not a bad machine, it's solid where it counts although I can see the fence being replaced soon.

Rodders, I ment, do you know where you can get the cutter to fit the spindle that will cut that type of beading (or what number it is), I'm a little lost with the thousands available !

Thanks

So providing you always use power feed could you buy pinned blanks and grind one yourself and pop a similar weight balancer in tuther side ? - have no limiters at all ?
I only ever had one cutter break but really use to enjoy the challenge of grinding a cutter to match. Majority of incidents I heard of regarding cutters coming loose were the tweaking the angle stage. (Slackening off the bolt, tapping the cutter then forgetting to tighten it back up)
That's my question with the armadillo. Could you hand grind 1 single cutter, pop the discs down to suit, then slip in any balancer on the other. Other than vibrating the machine to pieces would it in theory be legal ?

rhrwilliams":3o41h57u said:
Can anyone give me a steer on the type of cutter I need to make this type of panel bead moulding

http://www.thestainedglassdoorscompany. ... 1280f9.jpg

I cant seem to see it on the link posted above , or the Scott and sergeant one ....but to be frank I'm not 100% what i'm looking for !

Welcome to the world of standard euro profiles..........lots of profiles never any useful ones!

There are a few panel beads, 40mm cutter no 81, 106 , 107 easy to view on wealdon site. The cutter is set slightly below the spindle bed for some of these.

rhrwilliams":32xr1t6i said:
Nothing too fancy ... A t. & g to start with

I was going to buy from Scott and Sergent unless anyone has any better suggestions

I've bought quite a few good blocks off eBay. You often see good used ones come up from time to time.

If you want to get your own cutters/limiters made then NLM provide a very good service.

ColeyS1":2ibe725r said:
So providing you always use power feed could you buy pinned blanks and grind one yourself and pop a similar weight balancer in tuther side ? - have no limiters at all ?
I only ever had one cutter break but really use to enjoy the challenge of grinding a cutter to match. Majority of incidents I heard of regarding cutters coming loose were the tweaking the angle stage. (Slackening off the bolt, tapping the cutter then forgetting to tighten it back up)
That's my question with the armadillo. Could you hand grind 1 single cutter, pop the discs down to suit, then slip in any balancer on the other. Other than vibrating the machine to pieces would it in theory be legal ?

It's hard to see from the pictures exactly what the Armadillo consists of. There are times when I look at it and it seems as if there is a separate cutter as per a standard block. But then you read the text and it seems to be that you grind the cutter profile out of their discs...which seems to me to defeat the object of their design. One thing is clear to me and that is that the limiter is built-up by virtue of selecting the discs that follow the profile of the cutting profile - in other words the block becomes the limiter.

OK..done a bit more research. The actual patent can be found here.

The cutters ARE separate and they say that you can use non-pinned cutters...ie you can make use of existing cutters. In fact, it looks as if pinned cutters have no way of being used as there are no pins that I can see.

I was also correct in my understanding how the virtual limiter is built up.

I had a quick chat to the guys that sell the Armadillo yesterday, not cheap.

The block £330 for 50mm high including 19 plates.

A pair of cutters is between £70.80 and £84.00 and discs are between £7.20 and £13.80.

I am not sure if they comply to the regs, my assumption would be if they are not pinned they would not.

Cheers Peter

Peter Sefton":v1ecjggm said:
I had a quick chat to the guys that sell the Armadillo yesterday, not cheap.

The block £330 for 50mm high including 19 plates.

A pair of cutters is between £70.80 and £84.00 and discs are between £7.20 and £13.80.

I am not sure if they comply to the regs, my assumption would be if they are not pinned they would not.

Cheers Peter
They do have a way that they couldn't accidentally fall out
bb4e4a4c0e9e6da6eb9b7bc7075f8be3.jpg

I need to read this entire thread from start to finish- theres alot to take in :lol:

I can't see the point of them now, to be honest. Reading their blurb, it says ...

The innovative Armadillo Cutter Block System is designed to overcome the excessive costs of knives and limiters for short run non-standard profiles. Because our blocks do not use limiters they have been solving joiners problems for nearly a decade. (my bold).

Really? Excessive? Not compared to the cost of their system. In any event they are misleading in their blurb as you still need to have that non-standard cutter made and more importantly it's not as if you can go to someone like NLM and use a standard Euro-blank because as you can see from Coley's photo, the cutters are special in themselves as they need a keyway cut in the back ! So you are looking at having to buy their expensive profile grinding system as well. That will set you back nearly £5k (inc VAT). So the only cost you are 'saving' is on the limiters.

If I was Peter Jones on Dragon's Den I think I'd be saying "This is a solution looking for a problem and on that basis, I'm out!"

Latest posts

Back