Zebrano Tearout

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mezzanine Rob

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All
I am currently making a table with the top being Zebrano, tear out is a massive problem with this board.
P/T is really struggling with it not helped by board being max width capacity (250mm).
What is the best way to get an excellent surface to finish, am I looking at mastering my scraper plane?

Rob :(

A P/T will never get a good finish, the only way your going to do this is with a blade with a high bevel angle, with back bevel in a smoother or a bevel up low angle plane, with a high angle bevel, finished with a cabinet scraper.

I would use a scraper plane. I finished this oak table top with one - superb finish

Tabletop5.jpg

Tabletop6.jpg

However, some people recommend a bevel-up plane with a high effective pitch, so you could try that if you have one.

Hope this helps.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

+1 for a scraper, either cabinet one or plane. Alternatively you could glue it all up and find someone with a wide belt sander to polish it up for you.

Thanks Guys
Had a spell with my LN 112 this afternoon and certainly giving better results.
I need to experiment some more as there is defiantly a "knack" to using a scraper plane that I don't have yet.
I Will keep trying.
you tube seem to have some good video's

If I have a lot of interlocked timber to plane up I hone back bevels on my thicknesser planer blades, this will minimise the breakout. This should not be done on a surface planner as the resistance becomes too high to be able to plane safely, to surface plane the timber use very sharp cutters well set up with a small depth of cut and a very slow feed speed. These techniques should cut down the amount of hand planning and scraping required.
Cheers Peter

Latest posts

Back