Youtube !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quantity of adverts has gone up massively in the past few months.
I looked at getting the premium as I watch a lot of YouTube (don't watch TV at all) but 12 quid a month is a bit steep.

I agree - the adverts are very distracting now. If membership was cheaper (~£4 per month) I would consider it.
I hope at the least, that the increased adverts results in the content creators getting a bit more money.

It's been many years since I set up Ublock, but I seem to remember you go into the options and tell it to use (subscribe to) filter lists, that'll get you started with blocking 'general' adverts.

ublock.jpg

Last edited:
If you get stuck I'll throw an 'installing adblock' on chrome guide together with some pictures later :)

EDIT: Having said that, I just installed Ublock on a clean install of chrome and it worked straight away for me - went to the youtube site, watched 4 videos, didn't see an advert.

Last edited:
With uBlock Origin, you can even block the annoying pop up asking you to sign in.

Right click on it and choose "block element".

Hi

It is not just youtube, what about all the silly Tv adds that want you to adopt everything from an elephant to a donkey, take your money in exchange for some pointless life insurance, sell your home to release cash and hopefully you will still have a roof afterwards and then they want to cremate you because they are the experts, does anyone know if that old boy is dead or alive. One minute the daughter is planing to cremate him, then celebrating her success and next he is back again!

I don't see any ads, they all get blocked with adblocker and other apps I have installed, wish I could do the same thing with radio and TV...

Thanks to the OP for bringing this up. I too feel that utube are extracting the urine lately.
I don't mind a few ads, after all they have to get paid somehow.
Further thanks to Sandyn for the info about adblocker.
I just watched a utube video telling me how to get free heat for ever, with not one ad.
" O happy day"

Ublock is just a brilliant add-on. I'm a bit of a news junkie, all the newspaper sites I visit have pretty much everything except the news article blocked. All those 'support our site' paragraphs, the 'We think you'd also like...' sections, the annoying videos playing halfway down the page, the 'Breaking news' banners, the (seemingly) several dozen unrelated adverts..... all gone.

As said, I'd love one for normal tv - I'm sick of getting sideswiped with pictures of mistreated animals or starving kids.

Last edited:
I'd love one for normal tv - I'm sick of getting sideswiped with pictures of mistreated animals or starving kids.
I watch pretty much all my tv through a humax freeview recorder (which I was lucky to find for £10 a few years ago), I record pretty much everything I watch, so skip through all the adverts, I also find it very useful for fast forwarding through shows. It tidies all the episodes of a series into a neat folder. If there is anything I particuarly want to keep, I can copy it onto a usb stick, then deal with it as I wish on my laptop.

Not only Youtube, but most media suffers from a surfeit of adverts. I can understand their dilemma as the traditional media have seen declining advertising revenues as the number of media platforms have grown.

Offsetting lost revenue with lower prices and more ads filling the screen or page is ultimately a losing strategy. Bluntly there is too much media chasing to little advertising revenue. Advertising is displacing original content.

Historically, printed and limited TV media were able to thrive (some anyway) through advertising and cover prices. This model was broken 10-15 years ago.

Marketeers now target potential customers more directly, and the public are increasingly disinclined to pay access fees (subscriptions or pay per view).

The media will increasingly become the preserve of the few organisation which can be profitable, or an egotistical expensive hobby, or those for whom media profile is supportive of their other principal business activities.

I use adblock pro - it works most of the time. I think youtube does things with certain users to see if they can work around it, but I see little compared to what one would see without it (ABP said what I said here - that if you're seeing advertisements while using an ad blocker, it's likely google has you in a group of people that they're experimenting with, and nothing will eliminate all ads).

Realistically, a bigger problem on youtube now is that nearly all of the content is just an excuse to talk about paid content or to provide links to earn affiliate income.

There was a suggestion to look at a low cost anvil on amazon in the hand tool forum. It's a legitimate suggestion. The post provided a link to a youtube content provider showing an array of tests for the amazon anvil disgused as a helpful discussion. The reality is that videos like that appear over and over (first the intro, then the test, then how to fettle the amazon anvil, etc) so that the content provider can try to get affiliate income driving buyers to amazon to buy the anvil. That's an economic reality, but it's also an incentive for youtube to promote those types of videos more than videos that have little to no ad revenue or link-through revenue generation veiled as "Reviews".

Is that illegal? No. What's dishonest about it? It creates the illusion that the content provider was actually interested enough in the item being pushed to buy it and try it when in reality, they were just looking for something they could get other people to buy from amazon by clicking on the link in their description. Meanwhile, the world of options that doesn't gain link-through revenue is ignored, showing a biased view to "friends" who tune in to see the video. A very one-sided friendship, often including patreon begging beyond that.

Back