Youtube !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arguing against the licence fee is like arguing against income tax in some respects.

Whatever you pay doesn't correlate into a direct benefit to you, but does achieve a benefit overall. I don't use the NHS much, so should I ask for a reduction in tax? Maybe the licence fee simply need sot be absorbed into the tax regime. The BBC does a lot of good work in promoting the UK's reputation abroad, does anyone refuse to pay the 0.7% of their tax that goes to overseas development? They achieve the same things really.

Chance your arm then Artie. See how far it gets you. If the licence hounds have evidence that you are in the habit of illegally watching your TV then they can get a warrant to enter to enforce what is at present the law.
Laugh if you like but you won't win; and no I am not an ex licence hound but I know of what I speak.

Keep your wits about you when you are driving these days too. Plod doesn't mind exceeding his or her powers, and frequently doesn't seem to know the limits of said powers.

Good luck and happy New Year

John

My dad had a video recorder for about 4 years. One evening when I visited he wanted to record a program, so he started to record it and left the show playing on the TV.

I asked him why he didn't turn the tv off or change the channel.

"You can do that?" he said.

For years he thought you had to leave the TV show on so the vcr could pick up the signal.

Loved him to bits bless him :)

I'm 44 now, and will admit as a kid, I didn't trust the VCR to tape without the TV on, either...how can you confirm what it's seeing? :)

In the late 1990s, we got my grandmother a VCR. She only liked to watch one soap opera and the evening news and complained about the shows not being as good as those on in the 50s and 60s (western themed shows).

She had a lincoln but was so cheap that she wouldn't buy a VCR. So we got her one and scraped up the then-unwanted collections of western shows that people had bought and gotten tired of.

She never watched a single one of them that we didn't put in the VCR for her while we were there.

And then continued to complain about having nothing to watch and nothing to do. She was in her 80s and I think she just felt that it wasn't something she should have to learn.

She also had the habit back then of "throwing" the TV remote signal to the TV. If the remote didn't work the first time, each subsequent try came with a stabbing motion in the direction of the TV to help the signal get there better (the TV remote was hers and not a foreign object (VCR) that someone brought in unrequested, so she had no problem using that).

Which you then wasted explaining your workings to a load of old sods on a workshop forum 😂
To be fair I'd be surprised if it took him 2 days, 22 hours and 1minute to tell us, and I for one appreciate him taking the time.

I don't like what you are insinuating.

I don't care how many warrants plod or Capita or whoever gets, they won't find me watching or recording live TV.

Artie; If that's the case then Capita won't have or find any evidence; so nothing for you to worry about.

I was insinuating nothing. Unless you count the fact your 'Come on' sounded very much like a sneer. I don't like being sneered at. Initially I shrugged it off, but ....

Just note what I say in my signature about personality and attitude?
'Nuff said...

JW

Artie; If that's the case then Capita won't have or find any evidence; so nothing for you to worry about.

I was insinuating nothing. Unless you count the fact your 'Come on' sounded very much like a sneer. I don't like being sneered at. Initially I shrugged it off, but ....

Just note what I say in my signature about personality and attitude?
'Nuff said...

JW
Not getting into a pissing contest because it's pointless. But if you felt I was sneering that's in your head not mine.
" Come on" to me meant that what evidence could Capita possibly have that would convince a Judge that I was watching or recording live TV

You also gave me some unsolicited advice about driving, which I didn't understand so I ignored it.

And just to wrap up, your sig is totally wrong. my attitude is not dependent on other people, but my reaction may be.

Not getting into a pissing contest because it's pointless. But if you felt I was sneering that's in your head not mine.
" Come on" to me meant that what evidence could Capita possibly have that would convince a Judge that I was watching or recording live TV

You also gave me some unsolicited advice about driving, which I didn't understand so I ignored it.

And just to wrap up, your sig is totally wrong. my attitude is not dependent on other people, but my reaction may be.
Please yourself. You upset me and my attitude toward you alters to suit. Call it reaction if you wish. To wrap up; your belligerence is your problem now, not mine. As we are nit picking it is MIGHT be, not MAY be.
J

Please yourself. You upset me and my attitude toward you alters to suit. Call it reaction if you wish. To wrap up; your belligerence is your problem now, not mine. As we are nit picking it is MIGHT be, not MAY be.
J
No belligerence from me.
My point was, you don't need a license to own a TV, you don't need a license, to plug it to the wall, you don't need a license to attach an antenna.
Which you agreed with.
Then you started a different subject about warrants etc.
Now you're accusing me of being belligerent
I'm done with you..

Never mentioned licences for all those things you listed.

However, we do need a licence to view BBC, use iPlayer and watch any other live TV legally. We know that, and If one gets caught out, one gets fined. All I wanted to do was inform people who don't know, that they can just tell the BBC they wish to opt out of the licence fee; and what can happen if they just flout the rules. If you read my initial post on that you would have seen that your post merely repeated what I said. You can just tell the BBC you don't use their services or products.

The fact is enough people every year get prosecuted and fined for not having a licence when they need one. To prosecute a case the 'authorities' need evidence. To get that they often have to enter premises. They don't have any legal power to do that (Silly as it seems) and the offender doesn't HAVE to let them in. In this case a warrant is called for, to enforce the rules, or gather evidence. What exactly they seek I have no idea, but usually they catch the offender actually viewing! If that information prompts a 'Come on' from you, either as a sneer or not, then that's your problem Artie not mine.

The fact is that's the law at the moment, and it makes no difference if it doesn't sit well with you. All I meant by 'chance your arm' was, if you think you know better, then 'suck it and see', as they say. I was not implying that you would break the law.
NMTBS.
J

To be fair I'd be surprised if it took him 2 days, 22 hours and 1minute to tell us, and I for one appreciate him taking the time.
I was just being silly, Artie. I too totally appreciate his and everyone posting their knowledge here. I'm probably being fuddled by 2020's multiple kicks to the head!
Here's hoping for 2021

All I wanted to do was inform people who don't know, that they can just tell the BBC they wish to opt out of the licence fee; and what can happen if they just flout the rules. If you read my initial post on that you would have seen that your post merely repeated what I said. You can just tell the BBC you don't use their services or products.
That isn't really accurate though.
First, it's not the BBC that you need to tell, it's TV Licensing, and second, it's not just the BBC's services or products that you mustn't use, it's the products of any live TV broadcaster. You still need a TV licence for example even if you only ever watch Sky.

The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:
  • watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel
  • watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)

That isn't really accurate though.
First, it's not the BBC that you need to tell, it's TV Licensing, and second, it's not just the BBC's services or products that you mustn't use, it's the products of any live TV broadcaster. You still need a TV licence for example even if you only

Like I said
LIVE TELEVISION.
No I don't watch Sky or use any other subscription TV. I stream or watch my own DVDs and tapes.

coach up a guy from the states here. What's the BBC licensing fee? Does every citizen have to pay some annual fee to be able to watch TV legally?

coach up a guy from the states here. What's the BBC licensing fee? Does every citizen have to pay some annual fee to be able to watch TV legally?
Generally each household needs a licence, not each person. Details are here

Latest posts

Back