Yew Goblet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood spoiler

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I have been teaching myself turning since July. Thanks to everyone on the site as I have been reading avidly and gaining insight and inspiration.
I have not felt confidant to share - but here goes.
After my visit to Yandles I bought some Yew and felt that it was time to try my hand at a goblet.
I was pleased by the shape I was getting and started parting down below the base to reduce the size prior to sanding and finishing when disaster struck and I managed to break a chunk of the goblet foot.

I perservered and made the ball at the base of the stem and created a new base. However, this was right up to the chuck so having broken the base once I approached the parting off with trepidation. With repeated sharpening of tools and very slowly I parted off again - without breaking the foot.
Here is the finished result which I am pleased with but welcome comment. A beautiful piece of wood
DSC00515.jpg

DSC00516.jpg

DSC00517.jpg
[/url]

Wood spoiler":3ezg6ehg said:
Hi all
I have been teaching myself turning since July. Thanks to everyone on the site as I have been reading avidly and gaining insight and inspiration.
I have not felt confidant to share - but here goes.
After my visit to Yandles I bought some Yew and felt that it was time to try my hand at a goblet.
I was pleased by the shape I was getting and started parting down below the base to reduce the size prior to sanding and finishing when disaster struck and I managed to break a chunk of the goblet foot.

I perservered and made the ball at the base of the stem and created a new base. However, this was right up to the chuck so having broken the base once I approached the parting off with trepidation. With repeated sharpening of tools and very slowly I parted off again - without breaking the foot.
Here is the finished result which I am pleased with but welcome comment. A beautiful piece of wood
DSC00515.jpg

DSC00516.jpg

DSC00517.jpg
[/url]

Quoted to remove the spam trap

Welcome to the Forum WS, that's a good piece for someone so early in the learning curve.
Youve managed to create a chunky goblet and yet because of the proportions it does not give the impression of being over heavy.

That's a lovey shape well done. Welcome to the forum and keep showing your work, if it's as good as this at your stage on the slope we can expect some good stuff from you

Pete

Welcome to the forums WS, that’s an excellent piece for a beginner. I particularly like the ball at the bottom of the stem, nice addition to the goblet.

Dan

Hello and welcome WS :D
That is a really nice looking goblet for a first attempt,and a good rescue job done too. :D
Just be careful with the dust when turning Yew :!:

Thanks for all your kind comments.
With regard the comment about taking care with yew. I am turning with a camvac with a flexi hose to the work and using a face mask with integral air filtration. Is that enough or should I be doing anything else?
Thanks

Back