Year 10 slowly getting the hang of it.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CHJ":1yw7w2ht said:
Soylent1":1yw7w2ht said:
That's awesome work! I bet it takes a lot of time setting up the piece? gluing all the bits and pieces of different wood together and making sure its just right - its excellent, precise joinery even before it's turned!

Don't be over awed, it is actually very simple and relatively quick to do.

The only criteria that have to be mastered are attention to detail in setting up your cutting saw and in turning the mating joints true.

Have a look at this PDF (2.6mb) and you will see how basic the assembly is, it's just the cutting that has to be accurate.

I have downloaded that pdf for future reference. many thanks...

as an aside, what/how does the thank thing work here, been looking for something like a facebook like.

If you want to thank someone go to the post you want to thank them in and click on the little square with the yellow hand with a thumb up ( Next to the "Report" box)

Dalboy":xfv7ulol said:
If you want to thank someone go to the post you want to thank them in and click on the little square with the yellow hand with a thumb up ( Next to the "Report" box)

Another collection of bits, mentioned elsewhere was the fact that a bit of base lift can enhance the appearance of a piece, as with this sample I often just chamfer the base from the sidewall towards the centre support area as opposed to having a distinctive step.

Ash and Walnut again, 205mm diam.
DSCN4331.JPG
DSCN4332.JPG
DSCN4333.JPG
DSCN4334.JPG

Notice on the base view how the figuring changes direction rather spectacularly between convex on the periphery and concave on the central portion.

Attachments

• DSCN4331.JPG
    DSCN4331.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 994
  • DSCN4332.JPG
    DSCN4332.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 994
  • DSCN4333.JPG
    DSCN4333.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 994
  • DSCN4334.JPG
    DSCN4334.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 994
Big +1 to all said here, very nice work. Something I keep promising myself is to get into is segmented work but I never do have the time just to go play and learn how.

Rend.

A sweetener ordered by SWMBO,

Sugar Basin in Cherry. 100mm dia.
DSCN4350.JPG
DSCN4348.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4350.JPG
    DSCN4350.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 939
  • DSCN4348.JPG
    DSCN4348.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 939
Love the cherry sugar bowl.

I am going to have to read up on this segmented stuff, not sure how you would arrange the woods for some of the pieces you achieve.

Something a little different from the wood pile.

Sumac, (110mm high)
DSCN4360.JPG
DSCN4361.JPG

Shows quite a lot of Chatoyance in real life with the high gloss.
Not easy to show in images, usual problem, show the gloss and get loads of reflection, diffuse the light and loose the gloss.

Attachments

• DSCN4360.JPG
    DSCN4360.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 824
  • DSCN4361.JPG
    DSCN4361.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 824
  • DSCN4362.JPG
    DSCN4362.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 824
Paul.J":3v084kd7 said:
Very nice Chas,lovely grain on the Sumac not unlike Laburnum.??

A much Softer wood Paul, don't know how it will wear in use, probably OK for small bud vases etc. but don't think it would last long as a large 'user' piece without picking up finger nail marks and knock blemishes.

If I find a bigger piece in the pile I might try hardening the surface with a good soak in something before final finish.

Grahamshed":38epyp1v said:
The bud vase looks great Chas but never heard of Sumac. Where is it from ? Tree or bush ?
In my Garden it was a Tree of the Rhus Genus about 5-6mtrs high, (I think Rhus typhina [usa] )
800px-Rhty_002_lhp.jpg

Love the bud vase and candle holders. That grain is amazing. Will be on the lookout for those bush/trees now. Did you cut the blank on a diagonal as the grain looks to be slanting from top to bottom?

procell":2cdrjl9b said:
Did you cut the blank on a diagonal as the grain looks to be slanting from top to bottom?
They are just blanks trimmed off square to maximise wood from slightly bent branch wood to reduce storage volume after initial drying, pith is still in but not on centreline of pieces. That combined with cutting through the grain boundaries gives the shift of line.

Latest posts

Back