Yankee screwdrivers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seascaper

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Does anyone still use their Yankee screwdriver. At one time is was very much the driver to reach for first. I have two Stanley Yankee drivers, my own one being around 18 inches in length, and I now have my dad’s which is an enormous model about 30 inches long. I see that one can now get an adapter so that you can then use all your hex bits. I always remember one had to try hard not to slip off the screw when you pushed otherwise one did a lot of damage to the surrounding area. It is however a very nice tool to use, all being well.
Regards

The Yankee screwdriver ......................... my goodness, I remember those. I used to have a large version. They were the powered screwdrivers of their day,

Mine was stolen on site, when I was installing a kitchen. I didn't replace it, as I thought they were pretty dangerous, the way they used to spring out when you released the catch, especially as my kids were toddlers at that time., and in to everything. You could carry them around in the open position, but then they were pretty cumbersome and could easily get damaged.

If I remember correctly there was a tiny screw beneath the direction latch that used to fall out ar regular intervals, and most folk had a piece of insulating tape wrapped around it.

So , the answer to your question is : no I don't. I now use a cordless drill. And I'm sure the woodwork is better for it - none of those accidental stab marks, when you least expect it.

Yankee screwdrivers...3 different sizes, 3 different bit sizes, you will after a bit of a hunt find adaptors to use hex bits, but because of the different Yankee sizes need 2 adaptors.
That and the fact, the blessed things rolled into difficult places, once battery drivers came in, despite not needing batteries, they went obsolete.
But I still use mine, with crosshead screws.

Bod

Got one somewhere, Stanley, bits stored in plastic handle. Not giant sized.

Aside from lead acid batteries, impractical in a hand tool, affordable rechargeable are a relatively recent thing. Not available to me for my first 15 years of house ownership/mending/improving. So the the yankee had its place.

Holding on to it. After the breakdown of global order, when the icy winds blow off the steppes and there is no more electricity and precious little food and fuel, I will be one of the few who can drive screws into wood very quickly so will become a living legend in my community as I strive to build shelter for those who survive. Or something.

Yes I do.
Fiuxing of plater board fixings, to hang fire extinguishers on.

I have a 12" one, fits into the pocker and quick to use.

I still have both large and small versions. The large one still gets occasional use when the cordless are not suited to the job - usually insufficient reach.

My original large one was purchased in the late 1960s for the princely sum of 40 shillings (£2). When it got lost on a job in the 1990s, the replacement cost £44! If anything, the original was better made.

Did anyone else have/use the drill and countersink bits that you could get to fit?

Funny you should ask - I used one of mine this very day to take the screws out of the hinges on a door that I had to trim down to clear some new flooring* - with a Pozi bit (not the hex ones, the original Yankee bit with the recess in the shaft. Not sure why I used it today, just nostalgia I guess as I saw it when I was putting some tools in the tote bag.

I have two with the maroon handles - a small and a large - as well as another small-ish one with a grey handle. I reckon I must have had them for over 45 years! I've got about 6 bits - slotted, Pozi and a sort of file that reams out holes in wood. Great tools, although I'm also obviously up-to-date with battery drill/drivers and impact drivers.

* a bit of a result - the job was for my brother-in-law (who doesn't know a saw from a screwdriver) - door off, track-saw trim 4mm off the bottom, seal with some acrylic primer, rehang the door - took about 20 minutes + drying time for the paint while I had coffee . . . payment was an excellent lunch at a great restaurant with me, my wife, him and his wife :)

I've got the large and medium sized ones. I inherited them from my late big brother. They are the ones with the wooden handles. I also have my three Stanley ratchet screwdrivers from new in 1981. Used the medium sized one today to remove two door handles.

I still have one but its been a long time since it was used. Think I still have 2 of the three bits too. A sad casualty of the march of progress. I did think of those adapters at one stage but it cost more than I paid for the screwdriver.
Regards
John

I remember my dad using them, so when I got the opportunity, I acquired three of them that I still use occasionally. It's usually on a project that I need to be careful with. I feel I have a little more control with a Yankee.
Regards Paul

Have 2 of the long wooden handled Yankees one with Philips, one with slotted bit; I don't use them anymore, if anyone feels nostalgic and wants them, make me an offer?

I have one, with a wooden handle, maroon coloured. I must have bought it in the mid 60's I guess. No idea what it cost. It still gets used now and again, mainly when I need a lot of torque to get a stubborn screw out (I can't prove it but have the feeling that a longer screwdriver gives you more grunt - seems that way anyway). Mine has the little screw by the ratchet direction slider but I've never had a problem with it falling out, as mentioned above.

In a long post I did about files and filing I mentioned that I made a hex drive adaptor to take other bits (to add to the 3 flat and 3 Pozi bits I bought together with the screwdriver). Someone than answered and said you can get "official" adaptors, I think it was from Axi.

Yup, when driving screws with it (which I still do sometimes, although I have electric drivers too) the poster above who said you have to be careful was spot on - if the bit slips out of the screw head you'll do a LOT of damage to the surface of the job.

I still have/use mine A) because I'm an old fuddy.duddy I guess, and B9 'cos at least it never needs recharging, nor do the batteries pack up. :)

Before battery drills , these were used by plasterboard installers almost as quick but hard work reaching up .The technique was to screw through the board and then "bang" the driver down hard to start the screw through the metalwork and then continue screwing. I still have both the large and the smaller size and use them when extra torgue is required.
Tony

Hey!!!!! I’ve still got my two…one is fitted with cross head/Phillips and the other a slot driver…
totally agree about the dangers of using them, especially around windows… lol.
think they are just one of those quirky tools to hang on too and just say you have one because you can.
steve

I still have a small one about a foot long. I rescued it while sorting out some tools in my dad’s garage. I use it occasionally, usually locked, when a cordless is a bit too bulky.

I bought a #130 (middle size) when I was an apprentice in the 1970s. In the 2000s, while on a "hand tool kick" I bought a couple more along with a couple of #131 (large size). I use them frequently. Mostly with square drive screws.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann
here they use hardened square drive screws only on the ally windows and shutters....
I replace them with torx as and when....
did ask in an earlier post anyone found a good use for the said YANKEE driver.....?

Back