yankee screwdriver bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
In my tool haul I got a stanley yankee screwdriver. Havent had one of those in 50 years. But it only has a slot screw head.
Has a quick look on the bay and phillips or pozidrive bites are stupid prices.
Any one know where I can get reasonably priced bits?

You can get an adapter that fits normal hex bits. I bought one years ago, can't remember where I bought it from though.

Coley

Funnily enough, i found some of those today while going through a box of old drill bits. If only i could find my Yankee to put them in. Another of my tools that has mysteriously disappeared.

I use my Yankees a lot. I bought a 130A in the 1970s (during my apprenticeship) but a few years ago bought several secondhand 130A and 131A drivers - because I was on a hand tool (no electricity) kick. I find it easier to grab a Yankee than try to find a charged battery for the battery drill.

I have one of those adaptors for each size, but don't like them much - too much slop. However Lee Valley (who supplied my adaptors) sell bits that fit, and I've invested in a few square drive bits. The bits they sell are "Vessel" brand (Japanese). I have had problems with the square drive bit for the 131 - the end that fits into the Yankee is fractionally different, and it sometimes jams - but having several Yankees I now just leave it in there. If I need a slotted bit or pozi/Phillips I use one of the others.

HTH.

Cheers, Vann.

To be honest, I'm unlikely to use this very much at all, but with the slot bit I have I wont use it ever, so maybe one cross head bit will be the way to go.

I got quite excited there, till I started to fill out the checkout. With shipping, 14 euro for one bit.

I'll just stay with what I have I think.

the axminster one just added to my xmas list, hee hee very useful thanks for posting. I have been looking for drills to fit my yankee for ages and already have hex ones.

I remember in my early career, fixing some brackets under a shelf with my yankee and the bit slipped out of the screw while i was vigorously pushing on the handle. The yankee was at full press at the time it slipped and then extended itself at a great velocity into my eye. Luckily it hit just at the top of my eyelid on the bone of my eye socket, giving me a cut. Doesn't bear thinking about what damage it would have done if it hit me square in the eyeball. Was a bit more judicious with it after that.

I got this kind of magnetic bit holder.

TKT-M460_iso.jpg

I like it a lot. It's only little bit wider than original bit. No those big locking mechanisms of today bit adaptors. Same thing about electrical drill bit adaptors.

I know, this is bit different than topic, but do you know where I can get reproduced bits to Yankee no 41 push drill? Or same adapter as well. Ordering from US is quite expensive to here. I resently find North Bros made 41 from here. Quite nice tool when you are making pilot holes to screws. Little bit short of bits still.

BR,
TR

Attachments

• TKT-M460_iso.jpg
    TKT-M460_iso.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 1,379
Bod":3ocjl766 said:
http://www.axminster.co.uk/hex-adaptor-for-yankee-screwdrivers-ax927317
Axminster do them.

Bod

Brilliant. I have 4 Yankees of various sizes and though I stil have a tobacco tin with numerous bits, I like the idea of the hex upgrade so I've just bought two of them for different sizes. I still use mine frequently when I want either lots of torque but at the same time want to feel the resistance towards the end of the screw. Usually on jobs I cant afford to make a single mistake on. I love them and will never get rid of them. Can't believe Stanley stopped production in 2007....boo

Just a quick note, you probably know, but the different codes have different fittings...make sure the one you buy fits the Yankee you have!

OK, I'll bite...
I was unaware there were different models, how do I find out which one is mine?

The older 130's have wooden handles and no triangle next to the yankee stamp which you'll find on the metal shaft about half way down. The B's have plastic handles.

Easily the most common was the 130A which is what everyone's dad had in their garage from 1950 on. There's a larger and smaller model than that also. The larger (131) is fabulous for difficult to undo slotted screws in old things.

Random Orbital Bob":mq8z3ef7 said:
Bod":mq8z3ef7 said:
http://www.axminster.co.uk/hex-adaptor-for-yankee-screwdrivers-ax927317
Axminster do them.

Bod

Brilliant. I have 4 Yankees of various sizes and though I stil have a tobacco tin with numerous bits, I like the idea of the hex upgrade so I've just bought two of them for different sizes. I still use mine frequently when I want either lots of torque but at the same time want to feel the resistance towards the end of the screw. Usually on jobs I cant afford to make a single mistake on. I love them and will never get rid of them. Can't believe Stanley stopped production in 2007....boo

Ha! Mine are also in an old baccy tin. My Dad was a fisherman and used to bring home tins of Old Holborn and Golden Virginia tobacco. Got quite a few of them which i keep for the sake of nostalgia.

Back