Yandles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aldel

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Not long been back from another trip to Yandles and it was another good day. All the usual stands and lots of very tempting wood. Met up with Waka, Nigel, Sawdust Producer and JFC. Also met a few old workmates.
Really, really struggled to keep my wallet in my pocket but eventually fell for a veritas low angle block plane so will have some Stanleys for sale soon. In Phillys absence Nigel bought the teas!
Well worth a two hour drive for a good day out. Don't ask Waka how many Besseys he bought!

Cheers, Aldel

Yes it was a very nice day out with excellent company, had a bit of trouble getting led astray by Nigel, but managed to refrain.

Not sure about Aldel's comments and the besseys.

Bought a bit more wood to keep me going in between the Hols this summer, a bit of replenishment stock from Terry's world, the odd bit of steel from the Ashley Iles bros just so I can practice making handles; Oh; and a small Bandsaw.

Seemed a lot of Plane Fever was still doing the rounds in some quarters, it would appear that once you catch it, it can't be shaken off. How they expect to keep a 20" lump of steel rust free with all that drooling I just do not know, :roll: difficult to understand these people with obsessive leanings :whistle:

Great to see the cheery faces again.

Sounds like you had a lot of fun! Cheers to Nigel for keeping the flag flying-I owe you :wink:
Waka not buying more Besseys? What is the world coming to? And plane fever still rampant? Excellent! :lol:
Looking forward to going tomorrow,
Philly :D

Yes it was a good day out with pleasant company It was nice to see the many friendly faces

It was just as well Waka was there as I did not realise I needed a BU 7
of the Veritas variety and was blissful in my ignorance thanks Waka

Now I seem to have fallen prey to some kind of fever and keep muttering about Lee Valley order number ect

I am now going to lay down

Nigel

Made my first visit to Yandles yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it :D

An impressive selection of timber as well as the tools.

Having toyed with the idea of splashing lots of cash on Veritas stuff at the Brimarc stand I was disappointed that the show pricing seemed no different to normal, even though I was looking to get a couple of the spokeshaves, low angle block plane and ball and tail (for the plane !) and had hoped for some kind of deal to make the trip worthwhile, apart from the fun of a day out that is !

So having been dissapointed with Brimarc I took myself off to Mike's Classic Hand Tools stall and was glad I hadn't spent on the Veritas plane as, good though it was, when I handled and examined the Lie Neilsen version (although not low angle) I was absolutely hooked and happy to pay a little extra for it compared to the Veritas :tool: :D

Luckily (?) Mike didn't have any Bloggs spokeshaves with him though so I eventually returned to Brimarc and got the flat Veritas version which is half the price, not feeling flush enough or incentivised by any compelling show offers to spend on more than the one, which I guess is a good thing really ? :?

So a productive and fun day out, though the traffic on the way back was awful and it took me two and a half hours to get back compared to one and a half on the way there :evil:

Glad I went though even though it was 160 miles round trip !

Hope everybody else had/has a good time and looking forward to hearing about what others have splashed their cash on !

I was also disappointed that there was no show discount on Vertras planes as I bought a low angle block plane and ball tail with tall knob and paid £2 more than what is displayed on the Brimarc web site :?

I wanted to purchase a makita belt sander and jigsaw but their stand did not have any, don't think Makita brought any stock with them.

there was some nice bargins with the wood, quite a wide selection of nice looking stuff.
Enjoyed the meet up, declined the offer of tea as I wanted to leave two hours earlier than normal so to beat the traffic at Brynglas tunnel on the M4, huh no luck there extra hour on to journey so will be staying for tea next time

Had a great time myself at Yandles. Didn't buy much - just some nails for my new nail gun, but loved looking at everything. Nearly bought some besseys but bottled out half way to the till!
As Axminster was so near and I'd never been there in the flesh I drove down - 10% of everything on Friday and Saturday. The credit card had to come out and I bought a few goodies - including a pocket jig for less than the yandles show price!
Saturday was spent with Martin Godfrey at Woodrat doing a course for the day - an excellent couple of days!

I saw some faces that looked familiar at Yandles - next year I might be courageous enough to approach them!

Cheers
Stewart

I wanted to purchase a makita belt sander and jigsaw but their stand did not have any, don't think Makita brought any stock with them.

After returning home. I ordered this off Axminster.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/9/product-Makita-9404-Belt-Sander-22644.htm

makita1.jpg

Lifetime of sanding belts (50 all grades) . Very pleased with the sander trouble is finding room fo all the belts :shock:

Well done hope you enjoy using it

with all those belts you will certainly be living up to your name :lol:

Cheers Nigel

Latest posts

Back