Yandles Self Selection centre

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr

Established Member
Reaction score
Heres a daft question :)

Having wandered around Yandles self selection centre but having never bought anything other than turning blanks and tools from the shop part, it strikes me that I dont know how that self selection thing works. What do you do? Make a big stack of boards and then go find someone at the till? or head for the shop with a wish list and then make a big pile of boards?

Told you it was a daft question.

Cheers Mike

Mike
I just pile my boards against the wall and then tell the guy what I have. Sometimes they come out and note the prices, other times they take your word for it.
Surprisingly they never offer to carry back to the car for you.... :lol:
Or maybe thats just me :roll:
Cheers
Philly :D
P.s. Be careful of the boards marked Paduak - some of them are actually BUBINGA. DAMHIKT :twisted:

The general disinterestedness of the staff is outstanding.......

Some prices outrageous, some reasonable.

Such nice dry conditions for the planks!

David

Thanks Phil, David - seems strange that theyre not overly interested but Ive noticed that lack of enthusiasm on their part myself. Conditions there definitly strange - I thought my storage was poor, at least my stock is off the ground.

Cheers Mike

Don't know this outfit you're talking about, but this attitude seems par for the course in the timber trade.

My local hardwood stockist, Irmass in Trafford Park, winds me up every time I go. It is always tea-break time, or lunch-time, or Lord knows what-time, and you stand around like Piffy on a rock bun waiting for some ignorant tw*t to finish his brew before he will condescend to start up his fork-lift.

Anyone know any customer-friendly, professionally run timber merchents?

Best I know are John Boddy, British Hardwoods, and Hoghton Timber

Cheers
Brad

Brad Naylor":12j8rmk5 said:
Don't know this outfit you're talking about, but this attitude seems par for the course in the timber trade.

This attitude seems to be everywhere not just Yandles Brad as you say. At least at Yandles you can wander around unhindered and the price is marked on the board so no unpleasant suprises later (I would have thought). Im sure that everytime I buy timber I get taken advantage of. I think they look at your quantities and think to themselves " ahh hobbyist, @~1# him" Doesn't help that when you dont know a lot about what you're doing they see extra vulnerability. It's a bit like walking round a strange city after dark with a map in one hand and your wallet in the other. One big name supplier is particularly bad, so bad in fact that even I can spot it. A while back I priced up a load of timber using their online facility and then rang them at which point I discovered the cost website came back with bore no relation to reality. Ive never bought from them as a result and dont even trust their site as a guideline for costs these days.

Mike

Brad Naylor":2mkv7bm3 said:
Anyone know any customer-friendly, professionally run timber merchents?

Cheers
Brad

W.L.West & Sons get my vote every time. Not in your neck of the woods though I beleive they deliver all over the country.

Mark

Another vote for W L West. They bend over backards to help you and are happy to answer newbie questions, give advice etc.

RP

Brad Naylor":1xylebqq said:
Best I know are John Boddy, British Hardwoods, and Hoghton Timber

Thats good to know as I drive past Hoghton timber every day on my way home from work ........... And I'll be using them for my next projects as John Boddys (whilst good) is a bit of a drive away

nickson71":1tbtcs6v said:
Thats good to know as I drive past Hoghton timber every day on my way home from work ........... And I'll be using them for my next projects as John Boddys (whilst good) is a bit of a drive away

Hoghton Timber is a bit of a different kind of operation to Boddy's! It's basically just a warehouse unit in an old mill stacked floor to ceiling with European hardwoods, particularly oak. Their main customers are builders buying timber for beams etc, which means that they always have loads of 'off-cuts' of 3 or 4 feet in length. Sort through these and you'll get some real bargains.

Deal with George, the owner; he's a bit of a character.

If you need your timber machined up for you they will do it very well & cheaply - while you wait if they're not too busy. If they were a bit more local to me I'd use them all the time.

Cheers
Brad

Whilst I have only used them once Goulden Timbers gets my vote as does Good Timber, but the prices there can be a bit offputting

I normally pullout the boards i want, then put them over by the shop door so no one else steals them :lol:

If i have got a notepad i will note down the prices to save them a job.

The staff seem friendly enough to me, except one....

A lot of Yandles exotic stuff appears to be African, as far as I'm aware they make no warranty as to provenance does anyone know different?

Cheers Mike

My vote goes to John Boddy timber. Very friendly people, helpful with selecting timber. In the shed they carry around a calculator so that you know exactly the quantity you have selected. They even cut it to lengths that would fit into the car then drove it round on a fork lift to the back of the car and helped me load it. A lot cheaper than some other places I have used even when you factor in the 300 mile round trip.

Bob

THanks Philly , Was just wondering really, it's a shame Yandles don't get some more info online on their site about the woodworking centre, the site really seems geared towards the craft stuff.

Mike

Back