xmas presents for youngsters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
Got an 8 and a 10 year old girls staying for xmas. Would like to make something for them as presents, but it cant be too big or complicated because they will have to go in their suitcases for the flight home.
Ideas please.

memzey":2x1hrkjt said:
I don’t know bob but have you thought about, you know, a bandsaw box perhaps? :)

Har, so very har. :roll: :D
One of them is the dolphin. She already has about about 6 bandsaw boxes. from a tiny tooth fairy box to a full sized owl with sliding drawers. The older one is her friend, who has none, and is visiting us for the first time. If I make another bandsaw box, its going to be "mine's better than your's, nah", every time they fall out.

Of course it might come to that if no one is smart enough to offer options ......

Aah the dolphin. Have thought about making her a Neptune’s trident? Or if you do make her a box, perhaps one that is mermaid shaped? As for her mate - a Cyprus shaped box would seem to be appropriate - could you give one of those a try? Actually if you go down the Cyprus shaped box route you could make one for each and thuse dodge the “mine’s better than yours” quandary?

memzey, all that efes has tuned our minds to each other.
I looked at a dolphin box this morning. Its a bit more "artistic" than i normally make, but is on the short list, albeit very close to bottom.
I also (truly) looked the cyprus outline, but its more suited to scroll saw than bandsaw. This one actually IS at bottom position in the list.
I have spent today trying to make smaller boxes from my offcuts, but inspiration is sadly lacking due to being out of practice after the long summer recess.
The problem is I know very little about the other girl. I shall have to ask the parents, as long as THEY dont want boxes too.
Good job I have a few weeks to think about it.

NEXT?

Oh, 2 little girls, 8 & 10 eh? I don't know much about such creatures, but from what little I've seen, (NOT a lot) you have quite a problem Bob! Perhaps some qualified people (parents) can help?

Meantime, I suggest you have a good search here (there are MANY pages so take your time):

www.toymakingplans.com/index/php

All sorts of toys, indoor and out, aimed at both sexes and just about all ages. Whilst many suppose scroll saw ownership, by no means all do so.

Good luck mate!

(By the way, the plans come as .pdf downloads, inc instructions, photos, and full size templates).

HTH

carve them a little horse, I'd probably make a simple small box or open tray.

AES.. they fail the "fit in a suitcase for the flight home" test I'm afraid.
Tyreman.... cant do carving, hands dont work well any more.

I'm thinking I will end up making boxes.... oh well.

What about bandsaw reindeer in the Matthias Wandel style? Easy to make, can use a nice wood, stain them up and decorate.

Here's a few I saved from pinterest for some similar aged kids.
0b7aa30bd50d12b7f336fde1b9ec2baf.jpg

The doggy money box is my favourite, the pencil holder my least favourite. Perhaps you could ask if they've got a dog at Google the silhouette for that breed. Nice thought sunnybob making them gifts ;)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I've watched that video many times, maybe its worth a try. I will look for plans.
Coley, The money box is now on the shortlist, ta.

had to surf for smiggle. :roll: :shock:
I suspect these two already have that kind of stuff, they both have indulgent dads.

So far its an animal shaped money box or a dolphin with a lift off lid.

Another "thought" Bob. If their Dads are indulgent I assume they both have (or will soon get) mobile phones? Would it be possible to make customised decorative carrying cases, or perhaps stands (for charging, playing music, etc,) for them?

They dont have phones, they have tablets :shock: .
Crackers at that age as far as I am concerned. but a wooden box for them would be known as a suitcase :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is a big problem nowadays, kids have so much stuff that its almost impossible to buy normal presents. Thats why I was thinking of keeping it to a modest token present. Far as I'm concerned their big present is staying at my place for xmas. (hammer) (hammer)
They still believe they can get in the pool. My grandaughter spends every summer here, but has never experienced our winter before. They keep smirking when we tell them it gets cold, not believing us at all.
Theyll be sorry if they jump in there in december. :twisted: :twisted:

sunnybob":1w85krwq said:
Coley, The money box is now on the shortlist, ta.
Glad I could help; )
How much do you like the parents- this is very addictive and noisy !
88631fc9e1117b286b39e3c2f9ca95cb.jpg

060bd04db57b6b28b85bb6ebe26e0a52.jpg

2838c669d1968c75c406d0b9bd3aa855.jpg

I keep meaning to remake some oak ones. I could take some measurements if you're interested. I really must put it down now and stop making a racket !!! Lol

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

no no no no!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My mum always bought trumpets and drums for our two kids. we did our kids the same favour when they became parents, but I'm not letting two girls loose in my house with those, and thats a fact!

There are lots of simple stands for i-phones and tablets. Nice designs that hold them at a good reading angle, cable concealed and slots for other things. Would pack down small and get genuine use when they return back home.

+1 for something nice (wooden) that interacts with/ supports their (relatively nasty?) technology.

Back