WTB New Mitre Saw - KapexKS120 or Dewalt dws708

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

judder

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm in the market to treat myself to a new saw. I currently own an Elu ps174 and can't complain - it's been without fault for 16 years !.
I want something a bit more modern and with a bigger capacity. I'm slowly building up my Festool collection, but I'm trying not to be a brand snob.
I've been looking at the 2 of them on the web/youtube and forums, and although I don't mind the initial price of the Kapex, I DO mind the price of the replacement blades, compared to the Dewalt ones.

My work is quite varied, I don't think I need the ultimate accuracy of the Kapex, but don't want to be disappointed with the Dewalt ( still sounds a bit rough in many respects)
I was all set to put my chips in with the Kapex untill I saw the price of the blades !.

Anyone have the Dewalt or the Kapex that can throw me some advice ?
Thanks,

Stephen.

Stephen

I can't comment on the Dewalt, but I can on the Kapex. I've had te Kapex since it was introduced, accuracy is really good although I'm not saying that other saws are not accurate. To my mind what the Festool Kapex has over all the other SCMS is the dust extraction, I only use the 27mm hose on mine with the mini extractor, but I'm assured that dust extraction is even better with the larger hose.

Being a Festool fan I'd go for the Festool Kapex.

Hope this helps

Right now I am going to put a spanner in the works as I own a De Walt 718, sorry Waka. I tried the Festool when I was in the market for a SCMS and have to admit it is a very good saw and second to none with it's dust extraction....but, i found the trigger and hand position very difficult for me as I have small hands. After trying the De Walt I found it much easier to operate due to the horizontal hand grip. I certainly can't fault it for accuracy and often cut mitres with it. I also bought the stand that goes with it and have found this invaluable especially on site. That hasn't helped has it? :lol:

So, just to chuck another spanner into the works have you considered the Bosch axial glide ? I have just brought one and I love it to bits.

Ive used Kapex 120 and own a DWS 780.
Kapex is very well engineered and excellent build quality, The laser is better and the mitre measuring gauge is good. If your doing very fine work this is the one to go for.

Dewalt 780, My saw is accurate enough for all interior joinery and will cut veneered cornice etc. with no problems at all, if a good quality blade is fitted. It also much bigger capacity and much cheaper. Ive read so users have problems with the accuracy of the slide but mine ok.

I got mine here http://www.my-tool-shed.co.uk/p1078017/ ... _info.html

+ one for the bosch , I am on the market for a new saw myself and if budget allowed would be getting the Bosch axial glide but instead I am going with the Bosch 10 inch double bevel (not sure of name) but they go for about £420 .. after doing reviews for months the accuracy of the bosch caught my eye and then the price means I can get a fine blade and a stand before we even get to dewalt prices let alone kapex prices ....

I have had the dewalt 718 since 07 and found it to be really good very accurate and good capacity .I use it for quite a varied. set of jobs from cut roofs to kit cornice ,i like the fact that i can cut 7'' skirting standing upright.The one thing that i didnt like is the blade guard so i have thrown it .Not worried about the dust collection on it as it usually gets set up outside.I also like the stand easy to set up and clip the saw on ,out rigger stops are a bit pants for repeat cuts too much play ohh and the rubber feet fell off after a couple of months
here i have set the saws up to cut stair spindles
DSC_0036_zps342ae907.jpg

I DONT RECOMMEND TAKING THE BLADE GAURD OFF THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS DO NOT COPY ME #-o

Hope this helps Bern.

if you want the dewalt to preform you will be buying a 80 pound blade, the festool blades r awesome stay sharp for ages have minimal breakout and can be resharpened so u only need two blades. you can put spurious blades on it but whats the point!!!

regards rick

Another spanner in the works here. Makita LS1216 :)

I've found accuracy to be pretty much spot on. Dust extraction is excellent, but then I do have a high powered extraction system. Will easily cut 7" x 4" and 10" x 2" timbers. Had mine for a while now and the blade is still as sharp as it was new. I must have made upwards of 10,000 cuts on it through all sorts from softwood to hardwood and various sheet materials. New blades are around the £60 mark.

Bought mine on offer from Folkestone Fixings. IIRC it was about £700.

I have to admit it's not had much use lately though :(

thanks for all the replies, still don't know what to do. The Bosch looks good, but is way too heavy. The link to the dewalt is the cheapest so far, so thanks for that. I also have the dewalt stand. I screwed the rubber feet on. do youknow if the kapex will fit the dewalt stand?

I know the kapex fits the standard dewalt stands. I've seen a few on the F.O.G. on dewalt stands

One thing that would make the Kapex my choice is that all the adjusting for making compound mitres is done from the front. No fiddling around at the back of the saw while holding the work with the fourth hand and trying to adjust to get the right angle.

Checked both the kapex 120 and dw717/780 (as well as every other mitre saw at the show) out at the d and m show the other month. The kapex won hands down on quality, ridigity and back up. My kapex "kit" arrived about a month ago, and I love it, yes it cost more than double the dewalt, but I really do think its worth every penny!

I got UG kit for the 120 which includes folding stand/truck and 2 outriggers, these all work really well together and are dead accurate once set up, the only downside is that its around 3m long when set up with both outriggers, but I cut a 4.8m length of mdf skirting with ease on it. I also got and highly recommend the festool midi vac, even with the 27mm std pipe it has the best dust collection of any mitre saw I've used, put the bigger hose on it and I imagine it would be fantastic.

Get the festool you won't regret it.

Tom (recent festool convert).

I got the festool guys to show me the difference between the hoses at the d & m show. He ran the kapex with both sizes and I was surprised what a difference the bigger hose makes.

I cant say I have ever found fault in my dewalt in 8 years of ownership.. Can't really see how the festool can be worth twice as much.

Back