Wshop floor frame spacing help req

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeilO

Established Member
Reaction score
hi guys,
got permission to extend to shoebox (read workshop ) and am moving it further down the garden, so I figured time for a new floor..
I intend to extend rather than a complete new build, and make the panels to infill the gaps in the walls using 45 x 45mm battens and shiplap to cover (based on pre-existing measurements ) and finally insulate the lot..

OK, so my question is based on a 5.8 x 3.6m workshop can I get away with the bearers and noggins @ 600mm centres, or would 450mm be more suitable..? this would of course be topped with 3/4" ply and possibly 9 or 12mm mdf floor covering..
your suggestions on this would help greatly.

TIA

If you are using 8X4ft sheets i would go for 407mm (16inch) centres so that your bearers match up with your sheet goods. I think 600mm will be too wide apart especially if you are going to put machinery in there.

Jon

In modern domestic construction some joist systems (eg TGI Joists) are commonly placed at 600mm on center. This is all calculated for loadings and span though.

You need to get hold of a joist span table or find the number for your local authority building control and tell them your span and they will tell you the minimum section and grade of joist required.

As Johnny has said though any machines loaded in will affect the joist size so you would need an accurate layout to make sure the machines receive the correct support.

Finally- For the wider spaced joist you would need a minimum of 22mm floor thickness.

HTH?

remind me, is ply 8' x 4' or 2400 x 1200 ?

Either way floor joist really should be 400 centres depending on the answer to the above question of course. You don't want any bounce in the floor. Buy cheap flooring and double up with decent ply on top.

thanks guys
the construction is going to be breezeblock pads to which a framework of 4x2 (6x2 better? ) at 16" centres insulated then covered with 3/4" ply,

seems the concensus is 16" (400mm) centres, so thats what it will be..

on a second note of insulating the floor, best methods?? any ideas and products
sorry for all the questions but its just I want to get it right first time , and I definatley know wht you guys mean about bounce.

again TIA

So thats 1 sheet of 8' x 4' x 18mm ply then to go on 4" x 2" x 4.8m long :roll:

Plasterboard & wet wall is 2400 x 1200 ? !! the building trade is a marvellous world.

But does anyone use centimetres ? I have had a battle with SWMBO teaching kids in school millimetres, centimetres and metres.But nobody I know ever uses centimetres in the real world.

busy builder":16qczbb2 said:
So thats 1 sheet of 8' x 4' x 18mm ply then to go on 4" x 2" x 4.8m long :roll:

Plasterboard & wet wall is 2400 x 1200 ? !! the building trade is a marvellous world.

But does anyone use centimetres ? I have had a battle with SWMBO teaching kids in school millimetres, centimetres and metres.But nobody I know ever uses centimetres in the real world.

I think there was a stage when plasterboard was metric wide and imperial length. I expect that has gone by the board (HA !!) since those frenchies started making most of our plasterboard!

As for centimetres - don't get me started. All SI units thousands or thousanths as multipliers end of story.
nanometers, microns (micrometres) millimetres, metres and kilometres.

Bob

Back