Would you walk up?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, since everyone else is, I'll throw in my tuppence...

I'd hire a ladder or self-assembly tower (cheap from Brandon hire).
Clean out.
Then use drain rods or lashed-together canes to put a length of gutter hedgehog along the yellow gutter.
Ideally with a cord at each end tied off outside window and at ground level. Then next time is just "flossing"
I have this setup on my mum's house where there is an inaccessible valley; works a treat.

For one moment I thought that ladder was actually sitting in the gutter !!

Well, you're almost right, but look at the right-hand one!
The scaffold board going east-west is resting against the right ladder, with my two north-south boards hastily screwed to the cross beam and the pallet!
The bloke top-right had clambered up, trusting the ladder and the bloke on it were strong enough to stop everything shooting off!

OK - here's my problem.
The gutter marked in yellow is forever getting silted up with leaves courtesy of nearby trees.
When it gets blocked, rain flies down the (white) gully, overshoots the yellow gutter and hammers on to the roof below.
This is an old photo - the extension roof shown has been replaced by "man made fibre cement slates".
Bottom left on photo shows the end of a conservatory, which protrudes far enough to stop a ladder getting to the (light blue) window, just below the main problem end of the gutter.
My bog-standard double ladder isn't long enough to reach "A", and even if it was possible, it's still circa 14 feet away from the problem. (In other words, yellow gutter is about 14' long)
View attachment 147010

I could just about get out through the window and reach up, but it doesn't fully open, and my back and legs aren't what they were!
I could lay a short ladder top-to-bottom on the extension, but there's only a plastic gutter at the bottom, and nothing to anchor it to at the top.
So the question is...if I use a (red) ladder, dare I walk up the afore-mentioned fibre cement slates?!
I absolutely wouldn't risk it for a biscuit.

You really need both hands free for working at height.

I have similar problems. I take two approaches:
1) Built a (rented/second-hand?) access tower alongside the gable end and reach across with a stick mounted brush.
e.g. Domestic Steel Scaffold Towers for UK delivery by Ladders999
2) I also clear gutters from the ground using a nozzle atached to my air compressor, mounted on a long length of rigid plastic plumbing pipe, to blow crud out of the gutter while standing on the ground. A further refinement is to attach a small wifi camera so you can see better.

Back