Woss Dis Den?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cozzer

Established Member
Reaction score
Picked this up on my dog walk this morning.
There are dozens of 'em on some waste ground near the railway line.
It'll be obvious to lots of folk what they are, but I'm not one of 'em!
Answers, please!

IMG_20230628_103612785.jpg

@Ttrees seems to have nailed this one. It looks like the ones that Asda were putting around their jars of Manuka honey - as featured in the Sun newspaper, Perhaps, Cozzer has stumbled across the site where shoplifters 'launder' their ' ill gotten gains' 🤔

I remember when laughing gas started to become a popular recreational thing and started seeing the cannisters discarded everywhere. I hadn't heard of it by that point and for several months I assumed they were those CO2 cannisters for bicycle tyre inflation for those too lazy to pump. I was puzzled as to why people were getting quite so many punctures.

Ah...security tags, huh?
So the bare metal bits once formed a loop, you mean....and have been cut.
New photo shows t'other side....
Niall Y might be nearer the truth than not. There are literally dozens of the things, some black, most red. Colours denoting item value/loop diameter? Maybe random, grabbed out of a box.

IMG_20230628_133509483.jpg

plod "might" be interested in those tags (but probably not) but still better to tell them where you found them rather than try to explain later why you have them....

I forgot to have one removed from a paid for bottle of Glenmorangie once, It did not trigger the alarms at Sainsburys either and took quite a bit of effort to cut it off. Found inside most spirits boxes on the bottles in the supermarket.

I forgot to have one removed from a paid for bottle of Glenmorangie once, It did not trigger the alarms at Sainsburys either and took quite a bit of effort to cut it off. Found inside most spirits boxes on the bottles in the supermarket.
I spent a good couple of weeks randomly triggering those as a student, eventually tracked it down to a magnetic tape on the cellophane wrapper I'd torn off a CD. Since it was just the wrapper it was easy to overlook checking my bag for what was triggering them. However I learned that if you go through the barriers slowly and smoothly they don't trigger, there seems to be a minimum speed for the alarm to trip.

If they go through a detector horizontally, they often fail to go off.
Also if in a bag lined with several layers of tinfoil, they rarely trigger detectors either. Also many ca be detached with a strong neodymium magnet. Hence why many Also have a secondary device under the bar code labels....

RFID tags. The simple strips simply resonate when excited by an RF field - this is easily detected. More complicated tags respond with a unique ID when pinged.

Regarding the adulteration of honey, it's not just Manuka honey (which is largely a con anyway). Something like 80% of all UK supermarket honey is adulterated/diluted, typically with corn syrup as that has the same refractive index as honey.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/article/uk-honey-fails-authenticity-tests-alQ3x2z6Xk7a
I mustn't get started about honey! I've been keeping bees for over 30 years and interested in them for over 50.

If you want real, un-messed-around-with honey, only ever buy direct off the beekeeper.

These are security tags usually attached to bottles of spirits or more expensive wines. The black ones are usually supermarket stock for use on the relevant bottles the red ones being owned and supplied already attached to the bottles by the wholesaler/supplier and charged to the supermarket and refunded upon return. To find so many and apparently cut indicates to me an organised "robbery" from somewhere.

The same happened with me wit a bottle of Glenfiddich also @ JS. Took the 'thing' back the next week & set off the alarm! I was hoping to time my entry with someones exit!! :ROFLMAO: . Anyway, it got staff wondering, but at least they knew me as a 'regular' - lol!

If you want real, un-messed-around-with honey, only ever buy direct off the beekeeper.
Just come back from a short holiday in the Haut Jura, small village, bought honey from a lady who had a table outside her front door, honey came from a luxury (I guess, if you are a bee) bee enclave in the flower rich high meadows above the village. Not sure what happens to them in winter when it's often minus lots centigrade for weeks on end.
IMG_20230616_161242.jpg

Just come back from a short holiday in the Haut Jura, small village, bought honey from a lady who had a table outside her front door, honey came from a luxury (I guess, if you are a bee) bee enclave in the flower rich high meadows above the village. Not sure what happens to them in winter when it's often minus lots centigrade for weeks on end. View attachment 161616
Fret not, the bees are quite capable of looking after themselves through the winter. Honey bees keep their hives at 34 celsius summer and winter. In the summer they may need extra water to keep cool, in the winter they just eat more honey and vibrate their wings to produce heat! Bees don't die of cold, they die of starvation. So, if they have enough to eat, they'll be fine.

Back