Worth fixing ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, AndyT's wedge fitted like a charm. Could scarecely have been better, I just had to cut the groove in the back of the wedge a bit deeper to clear my longer cap iron screw, and plane a little bit off to make it fit - most came off the back of the wedge so as to be less conspicuous. The handle on this one is quite near to the iron, but is not offset laterally.

So far I've literally just fitted the wedge, wiped it over with a rag, roughtly flattened the sole, and injected the woodworm holes (found 20 in the end ...) with a hypodermic and permethrin. Can't imagine there is worm in wood this dry, but if there is, they will not be happy now !

Ok, I knew someone would ask for photographic evidence ... Here it is. It's friend is my Moseley & Sons badger, to get an idea of the size.

Sims1.jpg

Sims2.jpg

Thanks again to Andy.

Attachments

• Sims1.jpg
    Sims1.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 221
  • Sims2.jpg
    Sims2.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 221
Excellent stuff - Andy's wedge really looks the part.

Just a thought - Liberon (I think) make coloured wax sticks, which can be melted on a hot knife and used for repairs to damaged timber. It might be handy to fill the worm-holes, not just for appearance's sake, but also to see if any new ones develop. A new wormhole would be easy to spot if the old ones were suitably filled. Failing the wax, a mix of glue, sawdust and suitable stain might serve.

Enjoy the test drive, when you get the chance!

Wow, that's a very nice plane! And you wanted to thow it a way because of a few wormholes? (hammer)

Thanks for the pictures.

Tony, I'm glad it worked out so well. That plane is definitely a far better use for the wedge than the sorry old lump of wood that it came from!

Once again...friendship working in harmony on the UKW to restore another old beauty to live again for another 100 years.

Heart-warming stuff indeed! Bravo Prof!!! =D>

Jim

Just a quick update - I've filled the wormholes with wax, and fed it linseed oil. Looking good now. I finally tried using it the other night (my wrist which I bust in February is just about back up to gentle woodworking). Certainly it can take off thick shavings quite nicely, getting thin ones seems more tricky. I've watched the videos, but my wooden plane adjustting techniques need practice - a tap here, oops, too far, a tap there - drat, to far again ... perhaps I need a smaller mallet ! Any top tips ?

Sheffield Tony":1df388cy said:
Just a quick update - I've filled the wormholes with wax, and fed it linseed oil. Looking good now. I finally tried using it the other night (my wrist which I bust in February is just about back up to gentle woodworking). Certainly it can take off thick shavings quite nicely, getting thin ones seems more tricky. I've watched the videos, but my wooden plane adjustting techniques need practice - a tap here, oops, too far, a tap there - drat, to far again ... perhaps I need a smaller mallet ! Any top tips ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMbYEEJWmu4

BugBear

Hi, Tony

I have a small hide mallet that is good for plane adjusting, Philly Planes make a small wooden mallet, or you could make your own.
Flatten the sole as well it might be adding to your adjusting problems.

Pete

Latest posts

Back